spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

[WIN7] How do you edit the boot.ini file in Windows 7?

Not sure boot.ini is the correct file name. That was the file name in XP. I'd like to edit it to display different OS names in the boot menu so as to be able to be able to tell two W7 OS options apart.

That's why I want to edit what each OS is called. Where is the file and what is it called in W7? Running search in W7 I can find no such file.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

There is no such simple file. The boot settings are stored 'elsewhere' these days. Use the bcedit program to fiddle with them.

Try this link: »www.sevenforums.com/tuto ··· use.html
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

okay, thank you.
techsup1983
join:2013-03-23

1 recommendation

techsup1983 to Gem

to Gem
You can google and download a program called EasyBCD
Also don't forget about msconfig, many of the things you need could possibly be done there.
But Microsoft made it much harder for w7 to edit the boot config.
Gem
Premium Member

1 edit

Gem

Premium Member

Thank you both.

I will download easybcd and try it. Been into bcedit already. Good news is the computer still boots - haven't broken it yet.

As to msconfig, will take a look at it. Don't know if it allows editing the boot manager files or not. Never thought of that from there...
Gem

Gem to techsup1983

Premium Member

to techsup1983
said by techsup1983:

You can google and download a program called EasyBCD.

Thank you. That's a great program.

It made managing the Windows Boot Manager "easy" just like the program name says. Dual booting is now a piece of cake.

EasyBCD also contains a number of useful additional tools that IMO are great things to have accessible to the user of W7 or W8.

Plus, it's free to personal, non-commercial users.

»neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
techsup1983
join:2013-03-23

techsup1983

Good thing is that it's free too. I haven't found a need to use this tool yet, any mistakes and your computer will fail to boot! So be warned!
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

The extra utilities on EasyBCD look useful too even if we rarely have a need to edit the boot files. I like it. I'm as impressed with that little tool as anything I've seen in a long time.

As to screwing up the entries and not being able to reboot Windows, that's always a risk and is one reason I try to always make an initial True Image backup image as soon Windows is installed on a new build. That can be a real timesaver. That and keeping data files on a different partition or even on a different hard drive from the Operating System.