spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Insignia only does 60Hz on 1080p

My »www.insigniaproducts.com ··· A11.html Insignia has a 120Hz setting tab witch I can select between off, low, medium, high, or 24p Film Mode. I have a both my »www.usa.philips.com/c/bl ··· /prd/en/ Philips BDP5506/F7 and my »support.roku.com/entries ··· r-models Roku 2 XS both using the »www.usa.philips.com/c/ho ··· /prd/en/ Philips HDMI version 1.3a My TV will display a little blue box in the upper right corner 1080p/60Hz no matter what setting it is on. When I put it on high it will look twice as better and more life like than if I have it turned off. If I upgraded to HDMI 1.4 would I see a much better quality with my TV displaying 1080p/120Hz???
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

You're only going to get 120Hz from a source if (a) the original material has 120 frames/sec, or (b) the source device is converting its output to 120Hz. Neither is likely.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 6,00.asp

The 120Hz setting on your TV tells the TV to interpolate the 60Hz source. This is intended to reduce motion blur. Whether or not this is 'better' is subjective.

Meanwhile, the 'little blue box' is reporting what it is getting from the source device.
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1 to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Simple answer is no.

That is kind of like asking if your car will get better mileage if you upgrade the radio to a model with Bluetooth.

Your car is already getting the best mileage it can. Bluetooth is just an added feature.

Same with the HDMI specs.

the 1.4 spec just adds some features that the previous spec did not have.

Video quality is going to be the same. A complete digital signal will produce the exact picture in it's original quality regardless of the spec or cable quality. As long as you have all the data, meaning all the 1's and 0's are there then you have the best possible picture. If any of those 1's or 0's are missing or are corrupted then you will have no picture. There is no level of quality issue with digital.

This is the entire reason why digital is the better method for picture and sound transmission. There is no loss from the source to the reproduction. Analog methods are subject to integrity loss for many reasons.

With analog you can lose signal over long runs of wire, you lose quality as a tape wears out or a record groove wears, Tv pictures got snowy as signal levels drop off, poor connections cause signal/sound loss.

In the digital realm as long as you have the complete data stream, you will have the entire picture in all its HD glory.

As far as the 120hz thing goes, it's like Dave said. The blue indicator on your TV is telling you what kind of signal it is getting from the device you have connected.

Pretty much every video device out there is going to output a 60hz signal. Some Bluray players can do 24 with bluray discs encoded as such. No video that I know of is recorded or filmed as 120hz.

120hz is just simply TV trickery that essentially repeats the image twice as fast.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

said by BoulderHill1:

120hz is just simply TV trickery that essentially repeats the image twice as fast.

TV is itself just "trickery" in how it helps the eye see motion. 120Hz (24*5, 30*4) does help smooth out the motion--more "trickery" for the eye--to make up for the problems introduced by the initial trickery of interpolation and pull-down. It had a more noticeable effect on older slower panels than it seems to now, but I still notice an occasional, slight difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. As such I'd buy a 120Hz TV over a 60Hz TV if it doesn't cost too much more.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

My TV will display a little blue box in the upper right corner 1080p/60Hz no matter what setting it is on.

thats displaying the specifications of the source signal coming into the tv, not displaying the setting you select from the tv menu.

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

stet to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Most movies on Blu-ray are 24fps so you should set your Blu-ray player to output 24p for these.