Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to BriEE

Re: Start.ca - won't offer FTTH (Home)?

It's not clear that RFoG service would be exempt from TPIA. The FTTN hearings at the CRTC seemed to indicate that any amount of copper in the path would cause it to be considered a copper service, and RFoG is ultimately still delivering RF over copper at the end of the chain.

Bell got out of it because they're doing a proper GPON deployment where the fiber is itself the endpoint that gets split up into ethernet and television and such.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by Guspaz:

It's not clear that RFoG service would be exempt from TPIA. The FTTN hearings at the CRTC seemed to indicate that any amount of copper in the path would cause it to be considered a copper service, and RFoG is ultimately still delivering RF over copper at the end of the chain.

Bell got out of it because they're doing a proper GPON deployment where the fiber is itself the endpoint that gets split up into ethernet and television and such.

Hmm but couldn't Rogers argue that the coax does not come in play until the fibre reaches the inside of the customer's home? Most Rogers RoFG deployments have the fibre coming into the home itself where the ONU is installed indoors and then it travels over the customers internal coax wiring.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to BriEE
In that case, yes, but if they're sticking the ONT on the outside of the customer's home, you could probably successfully argue that should be TPIA...

Ultimately I think FTTH will fall under CRTC wholesale regulation anyhow, but probably not until a significant proportion of customers are served by it.
--

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
said by Guspaz:

In that case, yes, but if they're sticking the ONT on the outside of the customer's home, you could probably successfully argue that should be TPIA...

Ultimately I think FTTH will fall under CRTC wholesale regulation anyhow, but probably not until a significant proportion of customers are served by it.

670,000 Households isn't a significant proportion if we use Bell Aliant's penetration in the Maritime Provinces ?

said by yyzlhr:

said by Gone:

They could, but then they'd need to get into ONTs and modems just for television the way that Bell does with Fibe TV and overall it would be a far larger effort for the limited amount of return just to get rid of TPIA.

Lastly, I'm not sure why everyone thinks that everyone in Europe has FTTH. I can't comment on Asia, but I've lived in several major cities in Europe, mostly in new developments and I was only able to get DSL (VDSL if I was lucky), and DOCSIS. Although the DSL was dirt cheap in North American standards the speeds were paltry. DOCSIS speeds were on par with what Rogers was offering and was typically cost the same amount, but it did not come with caps.

Depends really in which country you lived in Europe. There is a FTTH Penetration chart and graph that shows that the most FTTH Deployments occur for Europe in: Sweden , Norway , Lithuania , Latvia and a few other countries. Sweden/Norway/Lithuania being the primary countries where large-scale deployment is occurring.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to BriEE
Has Aliant actually converted all of those homes to fiber, or have they merely passed them with fiber? In any case, that's still only roughly 5% of households in Canada, and the CRTC didn't regulate FTTN/HFC networks until they had hit almost fifty percent...

Somebody might have success trying to get FTTH regulated in Aliant territory, but there aren't any IISPs with a big enough presence there for it to be worth their time, and it would likely still take years to get anything out of the CRTC on the subject.
--