uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

HUGE video lag spikes in WoW

Hey guys, I don't know wtf is up, but recently I've been having humongous video lag spikes in WoW. I'm 99.9999% sure it isn't my hardware. Probably 9 out of 10 times it will happen in a raid, more-so in 25 man content than 10 man. I've tried tinkering with the settings and currently raid with settings turned down to good instead of ultra where I can still get 60 FPS with Vsync on. I've tried playing in windowed, fullscreen, and windowed fullscreen modes. I've tinkered with the advanced settings, turning on and off the options in there.

The reason I know its video lag is because I can still see chat scroll, and I can have a conversation in /ra when I'm lagged out. Ventrilo or Mumble don't seem to lag either. Most of the time when it happens I'm at "normal" latency and FPS (175/175 and 60).

I've tried both of the video cards that I have (MSI R7870 GHz Edition and nVidia GeForce GTX 570) and haven't seen any difference in either...both give me the lag. Drivers are current on both cards.

I just recently put my CPU back to stock settings to see if that will help. If it doesn't I am stumped...I don't know what dafuq is going on and having to alt+F4 in the middle of a raid as a temporary fix is annoying the piss out of me and will ultimately lead to no more raiding for McBrain.

Anyone know anything I can do to make this crap stop?
--
Mcbrain#1558

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?...Morons.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Do any other games do this? Play something else for an extended amount of time and see if it does. A game sensitive to lag might be a good choice (Diablo III... hah it's useful for something).

Other than that, I can only posit that being halfway around the world has something to do with it.

Can you ping the server's IP and post the full path info?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to McBrain

Another easy check, make sure your case is dust free, especially between components and heatsink fins.
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to McBrain

Run some stress tests on it and see if its able to ru them without error.

You should really run a set of stress tests to test any OC that you apply, and to ensure system stability when first built.

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to McBrain

Hmm, could be the connection. Are you on wireless to your router?

Try uninstalling any and ALL plugins you have installed in WoW. Then raid without any installed. Then report back.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to McBrain

I'd try like Demir said with disabling all your addons. I'd also try a different set of video drivers, maybe some beta or even legacy drivers.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Run some stress tests on it and see if its able to ru them without error.

You should really run a set of stress tests to test any OC that you apply, and to ensure system stability when first built.

Not sure if serious.

But FWIW, I ran prime95 for 15 hours with no errors the moment I got a stable OC.

said by Krisnatharok:

Do any other games do this? Play something else for an extended amount of time and see if it does. A game sensitive to lag might be a good choice (Diablo III... hah it's useful for something).

Other than that, I can only posit that being halfway around the world has something to do with it.

Can you ping the server's IP and post the full path info?

I've played D3 on this new setup, but only briefly, and didn't notice any lag. I'll run a ping test later this afternoon and see what is going on there.

said by demir:

Hmm, could be the connection. Are you on wireless to your router?

Try uninstalling any and ALL plugins you have installed in WoW. Then raid without any installed. Then report back.

I'm hard wired to the modem.

And I've done 2 reinstalls of WoW.

I'll give MSV a go tonight with no add-ons and we'll see where that gets me.
--
Mcbrain#1558

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?...Morons.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't prime95 a CPU load test not a GPU load test?

And don't use only one, after one has run stably run another.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by DarkLogix:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't prime95 a CPU load test not a GPU load test?

Yes
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa

1 edit
reply to McBrain

Don't bother testing the CPU, that's a red herring. If you had a CPU problem you'd see issues all over the place whenever you did anything, not just raid.

You've either got bad drivers or plugins.

I used to have an audio driver that would screw me during raids, but certain plugins will do that as well.

This is because only certain sounds are played during raid and only certain plugins are used. Since your problems happen in raid, I don't believe it's possible the problem is anything else.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to McBrain

I'd try different drivers. The newest and latest drivers released, don't always ensure best game performance.

I remember some new Nvidia drivers releasing shortly after GW2 came out. Probably a month or so. I installed them, lauched the game, and it actually ran worse for me.

I quickly went back to the older drivers for quite awhile.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

Played at a buddy's house today on Japanese internet...No problems whatsoever. Raided, BG'ed, leveled, pet battled, you name it, I did it. No disconnects, no lag, nothing.

Fuck the internet on base. It sucks.

And Darklogix, my GPU isn't overclocked. My CPU was, which is why I ran the CPU stress test.
--
Mcbrain#1558

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Still a good idea to run a stress test on the GPU

I used to have issues when I enabled DX11 in wow, then did some stress tests (BTW this was at the settings the card shipped at without the vram OC) found a few things.

1. some versions of the driver from nvidia would make it unstable under load

2. it needed a higher gpu voltage (even when I lowered it to reference clock.)

Thus why its a good idea even on a full non-OC system to run a stress test of Ram, CPU, and GPU (gotta make sure that the baseline is stable)

In fact I still can't run any nvidia driver newer than the beta driver I have loaded or it'll fail to pass even the WEI test (let alone the 3dMark test.)

And I've RMA'ed the card and contacted Nvidia (even dropping to full reference clocks doesn't allow newer drivers to be stable)
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by DarkLogix:

Still a good idea to run a stress test on the GPU

I used to have issues when I enabled DX11 in wow, then did some stress tests (BTW this was at the settings the card shipped at without the vram OC) found a few things.

1. some versions of the driver from nvidia would make it unstable under load

2. it needed a higher gpu voltage (even when I lowered it to reference clock.)

Thus why its a good idea even on a full non-OC system to run a stress test of Ram, CPU, and GPU (gotta make sure that the baseline is stable)

In fact I still can't run any nvidia driver newer than the beta driver I have loaded or it'll fail to pass even the WEI test (let alone the 3dMark test.)

And I've RMA'ed the card and contacted Nvidia (even dropping to full reference clocks doesn't allow newer drivers to be stable)

What was it you were saying about Nvidia cards being superior due to drivers in my thread?

said by DarkLogix:

said by Krisnatharok:

fanboy

Maybe, but got burned by bad drivers and inconsistent UI with ATI

AM I a fanboy if I just don't consider AIT to be in existence? Intel and Nvidia make some fine products and when intel gets a GPU to the level of the titan then I'll consider not using nvidia MAYBE.

--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by Krisnatharok:

What was it you were saying about Nvidia cards being superior due to drivers in my thread?

Well sorry but ever heard once burned twice shy.
ATI burned me (figuratively)

And I think its more EVGA than Nvidia, as I had to up the core voltage to near the limit to make it stable.
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4