how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1

[DSL] Mountable VDSL modem?

I'm looking to buy a VDSL modem and upgrade my service. Teksavvy is recommending 3 modems on their website:

ALU 7130 VDSL2 Modem
Actiontec V1000H Gateway
ZyXel VSG 1432 VDSL2 Gateway

The thing is, I want to be able to screw it into the wall like I've got the rest of my networking gear. I know for a fact that the Actiontec doesn't have any screw holes. Anyone that's physically seen the other two, can you comment whether or not they have screw holes on the base?

Or suggest any other VDSL modem that is mountable. But it seems VDSL modems are pretty slim pickings at the moment.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON

The only listed VDSL modem TSI will support (and only allow you rent for the time being) is the Sagemcom F@ST 2864.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to mactalla

The ALU Cellpipe 7130 (just checked mine) does have two screw mount holes on the underside, but as TypeS said, it's a deprecated modem that is no longer sent out for new installs. And the Zyxel was never supported by Bell.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

mactalla

reply to mactalla

Right. I'm talking about Telus-land. None of these options are valid for Bell-land.

Good to hear the ALU does have screw mount holes. Seems a tricky one to get a hold of, but at least now I know it wouldn't be in vain if I do manage it.

skyR

join:2007-01-14
Toronto, ON

no screw holes on the ZyXel

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
reply to mactalla

The Sagemcom F@st 2864 is wall mountable.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to mactalla

There's always velcro or other things you can macgyver...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by HiVolt:

Damn it, HiVolt. We're Canadian.
You should know the proper material by now
»www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor···l&s=true

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to mactalla

Yeah, I wall mounted my Cellpipe (since it has the screw holes), but for the battery backup I also put there I just installed a cheap shelf. Cost me something like ten bucks.
--
Everything Apple

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to mactalla

APC used to make a home/SMB telecom UPS meant to wall-mount in a wiring closet and power VoIP/modems (the BH500NET), but it looks like they don't make those anymore. Well, at least it's not on their own site, NewEgg is still selling them:

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···01092CVF

Apparently people like the form factor, but the software side of things is complete crap; the thing is LAN connected via an IE-only webserver on a non-configurable subnet, doesn't support telnet, doesn't support powerchute, doesn't support any sort of remote monitoring to enable any equipment shutdowns.

The Back-UPS modes (the oversized-powerbar style ones) might be mountable, I can't find any pictures of the rear, and I'm not at home to check my 750. They're standby, though, not line-interactive, so their switching time is a bit wider. I've got my networking equipment plugged into one, though, and they've never had any issues with the switch.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Dcite

join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON

I checked the APC Back-UPS ES Series 550 near me. There are 4 holes on the bottom to take screws out to take the unit apart.. but no holes for mounting on a wall.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by HiVolt:

Damn it, HiVolt. We're Canadian.
You should know the proper material by now
»www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor···l&s=true

Haha, i knew exactly what you meant before clicking the link...

Somehow I had a memory lapse you know...
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Dcite

said by Dcite:

I checked the APC Back-UPS ES Series 550 near me. There are 4 holes on the bottom to take screws out to take the unit apart.. but no holes for mounting on a wall.

Thats funny, i looked at an ES 650 and it has holes to mount either vertically or horizontally.
--

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to mactalla

To minimize the shelf depth in my wiring closet, I bought a vertical UPS.

I find the Cyberpower UPS units are cheaper than APC ones at the same max wattage, but the reason for that is the smaller battery size for the corresponding max wattage, so shorter battery life. To compensate, I just buy a bigger Cyberpower model, which often adds the benefit of sine wave support and other stuff for still a decent price. And they go on sale regularly.

--
Everything Apple

mactalla

reply to mactalla

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like the ZyXel is out. Too bad, 'cause that's the one that Teksavvy sells so that would have been the easiest.

As for the UPS thread-within-a-thread, my UPS sits on the floor with my networking gear going up the wall beside it. But I don't want my modem on the floor and would prefer proper screw mounting over velcro or The Canadian Way. But thanks for the reminder. I just might have to do that for that crummy ActionTec taking up space.

nanook
Premium,MVM
join:2007-12-02
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by mactalla:

As for the UPS thread-within-a-thread, my UPS sits on the floor with my networking gear going up the wall beside it. But I don't want my modem on the floor

My gear is all in the basement. I don't like the idea of the UPS on the floor either because of what would happen if my basement flooded so I've got the unit sitting on an old footstool. There are still a couple of power bars on the floor (d'oh!) so I'm thinking of building a small shelf, say 6" or 8" off the floor by a couple of feet long, that can sit under my desk. No reason why a modem couldn't go there as well -- unless you're concerned about what 2.4/5.8GHz radiation might do to your family jewels

mactalla

Yeah, on the floor isn't great. Mine's in the basement under the stairs, so no concern about proximity of the WiFi. I should build a shelf like you mentioned as I've also got my server (tower) sitting there on the floor as well. But everything else (incl. power bar) is mounted on the wall. I want to preserve that when I switch from ADSL to VDSL.

Really a shame there isn't a good solid no fuss modem for VDSL like the st516 was for ADSL.

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

Why it's sometimes referred to as ducK tape:

»images.fineartamerica.com/images···llas.jpg

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by lleader:

Why it's sometimes referred to as ducK tape:

»images.fineartamerica.com/images···llas.jpg

Because many people are cognitively impaired and don't care one iota about being contextually correct.

At least these people get it grammatically correct
»www.binsearch.info/browse.php?se···uct-tape