how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TomBrooklyn
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY

Where Get a Good WiFi Card For Lenovo ThinkPad T400?

Where might one acquire a good WiFi card for a Lenovo ThinkPad T400 (laptop computer circa 2007.)

What ought one look for in a WiFi card?

About how much do they cost?

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
It's going to be hard for Lenovo because Lenovo whitelists the wifi adapters and if the adapter installed isn't on the whitelist, the BIOS will throw an error during POST and shutdown the system.

Generally for notebook wireless adapters, you will want something in the Centrino line up from Intel. However, like I mention, you will need to get pass the whitelist.

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
reply to TomBrooklyn
Which wifi adapter do you currently have?
If it is just the barebones "generic" Thinkpad 11B/G wireless mini-PCI, you aren't going to benefit much by switching to an Intel wireless wifi link 5100(1x2) or "generic" Thinkpad BGN which is the cheapest & common cards out there--Intel one will gain better power adjustment to the antenna and stability with lesser quality consumer wireless routers.
The Intel wireless wifi link 5300(3x3) and 5350 were the high-end offering for best reception but are quite rare/expensive on the used market... they can range between $25-50, keep in mind make sure the FRU matches the Lenovo product info as some shady sellers attempt to mod by taping pin 20/re-flash & re-label non-Lenovo 5300/5350 as engineering samples.

If you're eying at the possibility for solid "N" reception, I'd just settle with a USB adapter with external antenna--Tenda W311MA is a good one for $14.99 on NewEgg, sometimes Microcenter sells them a bit lower during sales.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to TomBrooklyn
Can you utilize a USB port?

I have several of these and have never had an issue over the years with one of them dying--the only downside is that they are not yet supported by Win8 if you have upgraded: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33162037
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TomBrooklyn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Chrno
Which wifi adapters does Lenovo Whitelist?

TomBrooklyn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to HappyFrappy
said by HappyFrappy:

Which wifi adapter do you currently have?
If you're eying at the possibility for solid "N" reception...

I don't have a wifi adapter now. I am looking at buying a laptop that might not have one in it. N reception won't do me any good, I think, as the Verizon modem I got doesn't support n.

TomBrooklyn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Can you utilize a USB port?

I'll probably have a free USB port. The one you linked to looks small and convenient.

Thanks to all for the informative suggestions.

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
reply to TomBrooklyn
According to the T400 FRU list, the following can be used:
-ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III (43Y651)
-Intel WiFi Link 5100 (43Y6493)
-Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link 5150 (43Y6539)
-Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link 5350 (43Y6533)
-Intel WiFi Link 1000 (60Y3203)
-ThinkPad 11b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II (43Y6553)
-ThinkPad 11b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II (60Y3177)

TomBrooklyn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to TomBrooklyn
The laptop I bought wound up having a WiFi card in it.

I can't use N reception anyway because the router Verizon gave me doesn't work on the N band.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to TomBrooklyn
Your T400 did not come with Wifi? I have a T400 also.

*edit N/M just saw your last post..

Mine did not have a bluetooth card but it was cheap enough to get one that fits under the screen bezel.. like $5-8