how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pnyxxpress

join:2008-11-20
Valles Mines, MO

Formula for external antenna height.

Is there some sort of obscure formula to tell you how much gain you might get with each 10 foot of antenna height.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Can you please clarify. In which layer of the stratosphere are you alluding to. For example beaming from the moon, is very much different from to Troposphere as that is from a high mountain top.
The refraction of the atmosphere aka due to temperature variations and dust particles and weather can have huge impacts. Now if your assuming both receiving and sending devices are within the same medium height makes no difference and thus the equation becomes moot as your only talking about avoiding any ground interference from the natural conical beam pattern of wifi.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

rza49311

join:2010-11-11
united state
reply to pnyxxpress
I had to use Ligowave's link calculator to find out if a 1 mile wireless would work with two Ubiquiti 900 MHz antenna's. The site calculates and displays the "Fresnel Zone". You have to create an account(its free) to use the calculator. The output gives you a very nice graph and an estimated dB reading. You can export results to a file also.

»www.ligowave.com/linkcalc/

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_zone

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
reply to Anav
We now have 4G internet service in my area. I have an external antenna about 10 feet off the ground. In perfect line of sight. How much gain might I see if I raise it another 10 - 20 feet.

rza49311

united state
What is your current dB reading? I have read that with 4G, anything at 65 dB and below, there will not be any difference in speed gain.

pnyxxpress

Valles Mines, MO
With this particular modem it only has a bar graph. Another reason for asking about the formula before rounding up all the necessary tools needed for the job. It currently hovers around 0-1 bar but downloads are at advertised speeds.

rza49311

united state
Hard to say but in almost every case, higher is better and will increase the signal. If you were already getting 2 or 3 bars I'd be pessimistic but if you are 0-1 bar then 10' more may help a lot.