spc
uniqs

dondude
join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL

dondude to Ravynmagi7

to Ravynmagi7

Re: [CenturyTel] Being terminated for excessive usage

I'm using DD-WRT linksys router and have used 24.5gb so far this month. 3 computers 2 tablets and 3 kids streaming Youtube constantly.

Boulder
@clearwire-wmx.net

Boulder

Anon

My DSL was terminated by CenturyLink (formerly Qwest) last night. This was after two pop-up warnings a few months ago. A letter arrived in the mail ten days ago stating service would end on March 27th.

Interestingly, my online account showed that I was still being charged for the service. It is impossible to cancel DSL online (I love how companies let you sign up online but force you to call to cancel) so I called customer service to cancel. It took the representative about 15 minutes to figure out how do cancel the service.

I'm having Comcast broadband put in on Friday and will then switch my CenturyLink POTS line over to Ooma. I had been paying around $115/month to CenturyLink for POTS plus DSL. I've been a customer of them (well, AT&T, Mountain Bell, US West, Qwest, and so on) for over 35 years. When I've talked to them on the phone they haven't seen the least-bit concerned about losing me as a customer. I would have thought they'd be interested in keeping traditional land-line customers. Not so!

P.S. I'm using Google's FreedomPop to post this.
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas

Premium Member

Its horrible that they are kicking people off their network what about those places where Centurylink is the ONLY provider to get internet services? Like in my situation.
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor

According to the EUP, they allow you to upgrade to a business plan. However, the one thing I've been noticing in all these "excessive use threads" is the lack of info in regards of how much bandwidth someone used when they started to get notified. Either they didn't ask when they had to call or "forgot" what they were told. I would think this might be important, as there is a difference between recieving a letter if you used (lets say) 260 GB & used 500 GB
said by Technicholas:

Its horrible that they are kicking people off their network what about those places where Centurylink is the ONLY provider to get internet services? Like in my situation.

PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Boulder

Premium Member

to Boulder
said by Boulder :

P.S. I'm using Google's FreedomPop to post this.

I thought that FreedomPop had nothing to do with Google?
»www.crunchbase.com/compa ··· eedompop

Boulder
@clearwire-wmx.net

Boulder

Anon

You're right. I don't know why I had thought Google had a relationship with them. I might have read somewhere that an ex-Google employee was involved in the startup.

Sorry about the misinformation.

BTW, I have no idea how much data I used that got me forced off. CenturyLink doesn't provide a way to view this important piece of information. One thing I find interesting is that CenturyLink's Prism TV service's downloads do not count against the 250GB limit, yet other streaming services, such as Tivo, do.