Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[DIRECTV] Phone line question

I decided to take the Verizon/DirecTV bundle.

I am wondering if it is still mandatory that the receivers be connected to a phone line. The reason I want to know is if I need to run new phone jacks near the receivers.

I used to have DirecTV several years ago and I pulled out all the phone wiring. I still have my dish but some of the wiring has been cut when the neighbor on the other side of my duplex ordered DTV but he has since moved out. The wires still run to the dish, they've just been cut.

As for landlord permission, the location of the dish falls into the FCC's exclusive use category as I have a leasehold interest in my side of the building. As the dish has already been installed, landlord permission is not an issue and we can use the existing holes.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1

The only reason to have a phone line -Either Hard wired/or VIOP connected is to display Call ID on the TV screen- Since your receivers will connect to the internet You will be able to download VOD and order PPV with your D* remote- (SIDE NOTE) if you order PPV from your D* online account- All Receivers on your account will be able to view it.

If your only receiver is a HR34 then it won't matter.

Enjoy your service.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to IowaCowboy

Can't believe that if Dish can so a internet line so can DirecTV... With Dish they provided the power line hardware and the power plug of the receiver connected the receiver to the internet.

I believe the connection is used for software updates and the guide updates. I think Dish still charges $5 if you do not have it connected to a phone line or internet.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

D* Software updates and the Guide come from the Sat transponders - (NEVER over the phone lines)

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

I think Dish still charges $5 if you do not have it connected to a phone line or internet.

DIRECTV does NOT charge if you do not have a phone line connected to their equipment...

As westdc noted guide updates and software updates are via the satellite downlink...

Internet access, for video on-demand content, is via a wired/wireless link to a subscribers existing router and broadband internet connection. I happen to have a wireless Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W) for my DIRECTV internet access.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

I stand corrected and found out new info as well...

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Dish will also need an internet connection if you have one of the SLING capable receivers, and you want to use that.

Phone line though is pretty much only for PPV ordering and receiver based customer service functions.
--