uniqs
CTinCT
join:2009-08-17
Glastonbury, CT

1 edit

CTinCT to NetFixer

to NetFixer

Re: Legacy Email Addresses

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply, NetFixer. Only thing that makes me a bit nervous is that you have an active ATT cell account. (POTS and/or TV accounts would too.)

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by CTinCT:

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply, NetFixer. Only thing that makes me a bit nervous is that you have an active ATT cell account. (POTS and/or TV accounts would too.)

I have no AT&T services as of April, 2011. I switched service to Sonic.net "Fusion" at that time. TV through DirecTV; not eligible for bundle. Mobile through Verizon Wireless. POTS and Internet through Sonic.net, LLC.

All legacy 'pacbell.net' accounts are still active.

ddeisz
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Batavia, IL
Asus RT-AC68
Obihai OBi200

ddeisz to CTinCT

Premium Member

to CTinCT
Back in November 2012, I cancelled AT&T DSL after several years and still use my legacy SBC email address with no problems.

You're giving AT&T way too much credit if you think their systems for POTS, cell, etc. are connected in any way other than for billing. Even at that, they can't always keep them in sync.

I could tell you horror stories having personally worked on a handful of system projects for Ameritech/SBC. I seriously doubt much has changed.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ddeisz:

You're giving AT&T way too much credit if you think their systems for POTS, cell, etc. are connected in any way other than for billing. Even at that, they can't always keep them in sync.

I could tell you horror stories having personally worked on a handful of system projects for Ameritech/SBC. I seriously doubt much has changed.

Been there, done that with Ameritech/SBC enterprise projects, and in general your assessment is close to the truth.

However, when I got my first AT&T/BellSouth "dry" DSL account (after the FCC forced them to do it as a requirement for the acquisition/merger), I automatically got a $5.00 per month discount because I was also a Cingular customer. And later, when I ported a couple of phone numbers to AT&T CallVantage from Vonage, I got another $5.00 per month discount for each phone number because I was an AT&T DSL customer. In both cases, I don't recall having to tell anyone that I was already an AT&T customer, or beg for the discount; just my name and address was apparently enough to generate the discount.

As a side note, the $5.00 per month discount on the DSL service was short lived (it only lasted for a couple of months). The reason it disappeared was that it was a BellSouth/Cingular discount, and when the official name change to AT&T occurred, the discount associated with the now officially nonexistent entities died with the BellSouth/Cingular names.