Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter

Re: How to blow your lottery winnings

said by Thane_Bitter:

Boils down to her lack of common sense, it is something that can't be bought, hired or leased. She seems to lack control over many aspects of her life, if she had a planner she no doubt would have ignored the many warning issued and kept on burning through the cash anyways. The difference is once the accounts hit zero she would have blamed the planner for "mismanagement".

I'm not disagreeing with you...

But at least a little education, and support may have helped. It may not have changed the outcome, but it couldn't have hurt any.

Of course, I'd like to have the chance to burn to 10 Million myself, one day; just to see what it's like...
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by LazMan:

But at least a little education, and support may have helped. It may not have changed the outcome, but it couldn't have hurt any.

OLG should offer some free initial financial advice which any financial adviser who wasn't an idiot would pay OLG to get the referral btw.

The OLG is in a win-win with this. All us DSLR, "I'm smarter than everyone else" types lap this story up with images of what we would have done.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

OLG should offer some free initial financial advice which any financial adviser who wasn't an idiot would pay OLG to get the referral btw.

The OLG is in a win-win with this. All us DSLR, "I'm smarter than everyone else" types lap this story up with images of what we would have done.

said by LazMan:

They (and I'm speaking broadly) don't understand how to manage that amount of money... Hell, I don't understand how to manage it - but at least I know that I don't know.

The only thing I know I would have done differently myself, is get some advice from someone who DOES know. I'm self-aware enough to realize I'm actually pretty bad with money...

Like I said initially, it would be nice if some planning and advice was made available - but puts the Lottery Corp's on a slippery slope, too...

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i believe they do encourage people to seek financial advise...not surprising the Star makes no mention of this...they want you to feel sorry for her, you know, because she is somehow a victim here.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

The only thing I know I would have done differently myself, is get some advice from someone who DOES know.

As much as some in here may think they know everything I don't think anyone in here has the knowledge to handle that amount of money. Actually without several experts in the mix there isn't one person who could deal with that amount of money in the most fiscally prudent manner.
peterboro

peterboro (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

..they want you to feel sorry for her, you know, because she is somehow a victim here.

Fat f**king chance of that and if the Star thinks that they are seriously detached from reality.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

and if the Star thinks that they are seriously detached from reality.

I believe the Star's detachment from reality was established a long, long time ago.
Expand your moderator at work
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro

said by peterboro:

..... I don't think anyone in here has the knowledge to handle that amount of money. Actually without several experts in the mix there isn't one person who could deal with that amount of money in the most fiscally prudent manner.

You would be wrong on both counts.
Expand your moderator at work
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56
Grandstream HandyTone 702/704

bjlockie to Gone

to Gone

said by Gone: