Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dgoner
Premium
join:2002-03-08
Knox, IN

Outage Indiana March 21st 2013

I seem to be the resident tech support for my family and friends... They find it easier to call me the Centurylink support. Since this morning only a handful of sites route properly. After asking me to tear apart my network to "bypass" my router they confirmed an outage and supposedly it's effecting the entire state. I'm in Knox but friends over in North Judson let me know they are down as well... ETA I'm being given is tomorrow by 10 AM. Since I work from home using this connection apparently that means I'm off... Anyone else down? If so what are you being told for ETA?

ydoucare

join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Yeah, I'm down here too and I heard the exact same thing from the Centurylink Business support line. Supposed to be back up by 10 am tomorrow and it's statewide. I can get to google, and a few other places and that's it. These exact kind of outages have been happening almost weekly though, but only for short time periods (15 minutes or so). This one being 24 hours is really worrisome.

EmoHobo

join:2010-07-16
reply to dgoner

Yup, it's down for me also, I called about this everytime it happened and they always insisted it was something on my end, well when you ignore a problem long enough it will cause a state wide outage.

Jon L

@indianafiber.net

I work for a large business in North East Indiana and we have some small offices using CenturyLink SDSL lines which are out. Everyone here who personally has CenturyLink DSL is also down. We have been told that longer than 10AM tomorrow may be expected.

EmoHobo

reply to dgoner

I'm back up now for what it's worth.

ydoucare

Lafayette, IN

said by EmoHobo:

I'm back up now for what it's worth.

Same here.

EmoHobo

reply to dgoner

and it started again for me.

Ciendra

@embarqhsd.net
reply to dgoner

It's intermittent in the northwest region near Warsaw. It was on for 30 minutes then down for 15, then back up for 20min and down again for 5 min, since about 6pm. I don't even try to call tech service anymore, it's always the same....check my end, nothing on theirs, will send someone out tomorrow and a few hours later it is fine. I just check the forums and see if anyone else is having issues, if so then I know it'll work later.

EmoHobo

1 edit

Well earlier today they where giving people in Warsaw, at least me, a message saying it would be fixed by March 22nd 10 AM.

Edit: Anyone's ping up after these outages? I used to only around 20 to google, now I'm at 66. Not a huge change but it would probably impact gaming.

ydoucare

Lafayette, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by EmoHobo:

Well earlier today they where giving people in Warsaw, at least me, a message saying it would be fixed by March 22nd 10 AM.

Edit: Anyone's ping up after these outages? I used to only around 20 to google, now I'm at 66. Not a huge change but it would probably impact gaming.

Yeah, pretty much we are experiencing 100% identical issues. The pings were wacked out here for a while too but they seem back to normal now.

mbabe1616

@myvzw.com
reply to dgoner

Im in Wheatfield and I am still out called yesterday they said 10 am too. I'm on my phone at the moment, but I alsowork from home. They better have it back up asap, they gave me no legit reason, just that its state wide.

dgoner
Premium
Knox, IN
reply to dgoner

They probably have a downed router somewhere on a major backbone and are trying to route around it. That would explain the higher than normal pings... Since I am able to get a route back to our Chicago office I just VPN into work and can get to sites that are otherwise not loading on the Centurylink connection. I don't think I am having issue's today so far but all my traffic is still being pushed through the VPN and routing from Chicago.

Leviathan

join:2012-09-02
Bremen, IN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Mediacom
reply to dgoner

Was down here in Bremen as well. After dealing with the usual machine response telling me the ETA was 10:22AM 3/21/2013. Had noticed, that even though websites like google wouldn't load, I could still run a tracert to google and noticed something new, there was a new hop I've never seen before within CenturyLink's network(in regards to comparison with all other tracerts I've ran to google). Now that everything is working again, that new hop is no longer there. Perhaps they tried adding new equipment and something went wrong?Or indeed a router went down and they tried a by-pass?

in regards to Ciendra, I too noticed every so often a website would load that otherwise wasn't loading, only to click a link to progress through the website and get stuck. Finally straightened out for me around 2am this morning.

EmoHobo, I noticed during the "outage" pings to google, for me averaged between 55-75ms when normally averages 12-17ms. Granted, still no where near as bad as the 800-1300ms I get between 3PM-Midnight every day.

DanFranklin

@embarqhsd.net
reply to dgoner

We were out both at our shop and home yesterday. Strangely, sometimes direct IP would work - I could get to Google using their IP address directly and see search results, but DNS was dead (even using Google DNS or openDNS) and the links all failed.

Today we're up but at about half speed (pulling 5, maybe 7 on a 10Mb connection that usually delivers) and ping is as bad as 106ms and best I've seen is 47. It's also routing to a test server up near Chicago vs. the Indy area servers. I think they're still having trouble and agree that they're routing traffic funny-wise, but at least we can work.

Leviathan

join:2012-09-02
Bremen, IN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Mediacom

Haven't experienced the ping issue on my end, seems to be stable, for now. Speedwise, being that I only have a 4.0mb down service(due to distance all I can get from them), testing averages 32ms with d/l of 3.78mb u/l of 0.38mb. Before all this happened, ping around the same, but d/l was never below 4.12mb.

lman

join:2006-10-23
Plymouth, IN
reply to dgoner

I/m still down and have been since 3/21. I may have to ask for a discount on my bill. My modem looks like it's connected but I can't browse the internet. I wonder if it's a DNS problem.

lman

Plymouth, IN

said by lman:

I/m still down and have been since 3/21. I may have to ask for a discount on my bill. My modem looks like it's connected but I can't browse the internet. I wonder if it's a DNS problem.

I'm up now. They had to replace some things in the box down the road. I noticed that my speed is consistently better and ping is down.

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11
reply to lman

good luck with getting a credit from them

EmoHobo

reply to dgoner

So since this how is everyone holding up? I've had a great connection since then, my first outage was just a few minutes ago and it lasted 5 minutes at most.

My service has increased by a lot.

dgoner
Premium
Knox, IN

Other than the occassional drops during thunderstorms it has been reliable for me.

Expand your moderator at work

EmoHobo

reply to dgoner

Re: Outage Indiana March 21st 2013

I just had another.

EmoHobo

reply to dgoner

I had an issue a few months back, where any applications that where already connected would stay connected just fine but any websites I'd try to visit or applications I'd try to connect to the net with wouldn't work. CenturyLink found an area in my issue and they fixed it after a few days without net.

I can't tell if the issue has returned or if it's my modem, as I reenabled the wireless, protected by a key and all that so only I can use it, but I fear that may be causing the issue. I wanted to know if anyone else is getting this or is it just me?

EmoHobo

reply to dgoner

I called Century Link and they said there is an issue in my area, but it didn't sound like it was related to my problem, but here's hoping it is.

EmoHobo

reply to dgoner

They said they should of had this fixed by now but now I'm getting horrible packet loss and internet that is very slow.

lman

Plymouth, IN
reply to dgoner

I'm over by Plymouth and have 10 Mb. service. My download speed was about .5 Mb. all weekend. Last night it was back up for a while.

OOMJR

join:2011-02-09
Avilla, IN
reply to dgoner

They recently fix a balance load between Plymouth and Columbia City. That fix my issue in Avilla. Not sure if this has any effect on your area though.