tekmunki
Tekmunki
Premium Member
join:2001-12-06
Lake City, FL

tekmunki

Premium Member

Surface Pro for Network Administration?

I'm posting this here, because this will be used mostly for remote administration of my networks... I want something I don't need a bag for, that I can lug around all day without recharging.

I was using a Xoom for a while, being most of our tools are web based, or logmein accessible, but quite honestly, it's just not fast enough, it also lacks practical things like printing, usb ports, etc.

I want the power of a laptop, with the battery life of the xoom. I like the mobility, but need a real keyboard, the flimsy flip / clip keyboards don't really interest me. I also don't want the tiny screens of the minipc.

I've been considering a surface pro, but I'm a little hesitant- does anyone else use the surface pro in this fashion- I plan on loading it up with all my network monitoring, server management consoles, and hopefully attach a dongle for serial cables.

Am I asking too much of this tablet? I HATE windows 8 on the desktop but it may be much more tolerable on a tablet format. I guess I just want to know what other admins are using for mobile management and whether or not I'm going to be disappointed.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel

Premium Member

Ultrabook? I thought from reading on the Pro its battery life wasn't that great.

Shrapnel64
Premium Member
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA

Shrapnel64 to tekmunki

Premium Member

to tekmunki
I agree with The WeaseL. I believe you want an Ultrabook, not a Surface Pro.

We have tested the Surface tablet, and while it is OK for most things, the battery life is only about 4 hours for us.

For about the same price (as the 64GB model Surface), you can get a Lenovo X1 Carbon with a SSD (non-touch screen). The only downside (possibly) in addition to no-touch capability is there is no physical NIC port on-board; you would need a USB dongle.

If Wireless-only is OK 99.9% of the time for you, then by all means, I think it will do well.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to tekmunki

Premium Member

to tekmunki
I'm a fan of my little Folio 13 at work. We got several for some road warriors, and I ended up with one
Perfectly useful little unit, though I think they're discontinued.

The latest ones we've been getting are nice too, and very similar, perhaps better in some ways - »www8.hp.com/us/en/produc ··· =5271146

Nice that these still have a regular RJ45 connection too.

As for any touch based work (have tried an iPad), I'm actually a fan of how the Citrix Receiver works after having recently set up a XenApp 'farm.' Not perfect, but certainly usable in a pinch.

Just couldn't see myself using a Surface for actual work, or anything really. Not a fan of iPads much either. The keyboard thing I have with it sucks, and it's just way clumsier than an ultrabook for actual work.

Mellow
Premium Member
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD

Mellow to tekmunki

Premium Member

to tekmunki
I got tired of waiting for the Surface Pro and got the Sony Vaio Duo 11 back in November, I love this thing. I upgraded it to a core 7 and 8 gigs with 8 pro and 256 gig SSD, it handles anything I throw at it quite well. When at my desk I use the built in vga for my external monitor and have a usb keyboard and mouse. Battery hasn't been an issue yet but if it does Sony makes an external battery pack I can slap on it if needed.

Actually surprised that this slider doesn't get more attention from the media.
Lephantom7
join:2012-10-14
Painesville, OH

Lephantom7

I'll toss a wrench into the discussion. I have a Lenovo Twist and just got a MacBookPro. I can use LogMeIn on either and RDP on either. I'm a consultant with numerous small networks, so I don't RSAT on my laptop since I can be on numerous servers. I like the Twist since it's the best of both worlds and has a good amount of power. If you're running Pro it can be joined to a domain.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to tekmunki

Premium Member

to tekmunki
I'm eagerly awaiting my ElitePad 900 at work so I can stop traveling with a laptop ..... With the sleeves available for it, battery life won't be any issue.

tekmunki
Tekmunki
Premium Member
join:2001-12-06
Lake City, FL

tekmunki

Premium Member

Thank you all for the replies, took a while to make up my mind, but I've ordered a Dell XPS 12 ultrabook instead of a surface. It seems ideal for what I need to do.

I am going to probably invest in a few usb adapters for serial and ethernet connections.

I appreciate the input, and sorry it took a while to get back with you all.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to tekmunki

Premium Member

to tekmunki
If you use any proprietary software over the serial port, be prepared to try several USB->Serial adapters...

My 'new' work Laptop didn't come with any serial ports, but there's an assortment of devices I have to connect to...

Using Putty/Hyperterminal, all the USB adapters I used, worked fine; however some vendor specific software didn't work over specific USB-serial adapters...

Ended up with a Belkin F5U109, to find hardware & drivers that worked for everything I needed.
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to tekmunki

to tekmunki
Ultrabook. I paid $400 for my Envy 4t and it gets 5 hours of battery life. Probably the best computer for the money I have ever owned. If you need to get real work done get real devices. I am tired of people trying to hammer nails with a loaf of bread.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to tekmunki

Premium Member

to tekmunki
I picked up a Fujitsu Lifebook which has a detachable screen that can be used as a tablet or paired up with a keyboard / touchpad that gives you ethernet ports, USB ports, etc., and another battery so you get the battery in the screen and the battery in the keyboard. They advertise 10 hours with both but I get around 8.