how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anhisr

join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

Rumored ATT U-verse speed increase

With the new speed AT&T is rumored to be going to, I will have to look over the Charter vs U-verse decision.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

I haven't compared prices, but from reviews and personal experience in my area, the video quality is much lower with AT&T.
--
Google is your Friend

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to anhisr

It all depends too what type of Uverse you have available. Given the full blown Uverse you should be able to get whatever speed packages they offer. However I am not served for full blown Uverse (it is intended to replace dsl at my location) and am offered only the lower tier packages and no phone. I wish I was two blocks over where they have the full blown Uverse packages.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

well, you get at&t 3/1 for the same cost as charters 30/4, and you get at&ts 45/6 for the same as charters 100/5. Look at the rumored prices.

And uverse video quality sucks worse then charter or even youtube.

That's all you need to know.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

If you are NOT in full U Verse service areas the best thing to do is go with good old fashioned DSL, you can get pretty good promo prices on .768, 1.5, 3, and 6mb plans and the lower plans have everyday low prices after the promo runs out, the service is absolutely reliable, as well in most locations.

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to anhisr

your speed is also capped by how far you are away from the vrad, especially if you have uverse tv also

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to anhisr

said by anhisr:

With the new speed AT&T is rumored to be going to, I will have to look over the Charter vs U-verse decision.

Because of the type of DSL AT&T uses for Uverse service, ADSL2+, the service is limited to 24mbps down and 2mbps up at any time. This does not account for the fact that your TV streams will eat up some of that potential capacity, so, if you get the 24mbps(and its a big if, since current googling shows that unless your line run is less than 1000 feet to the vrad, and its in great shape, you will not get the full 24mbps, ever), if you have 2 HD streams running, there goes a full 10-12mbps of your speed. Remember, its still DSL, and they use an antiquated system, over rotting telephone lines, with a shitty service. There are very few FTTH customers on Uverse service, and still less that can actually get the full 24mbps. They would have to change their entire VRAD system from using ADSL2+ to something else if they wanted to support speed increases faster than 24mbps.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Let me clarify a little. I've actually held U-Verse in my hands. It was the last project I worked on before leaving AT&T.

The ISAM units in most (pretty much all) VRADs are capable of carrying VDSL or ADSL2+ out of the box. VDSL now seems to be the defacto choice when available. It's capable of around 52/16 Mbps, theoretically. In this scenario, there is bandwidth reserved for voice and video. This is often done without sacrificing internet bandwidth. ADSL2+ is still used in some areas for unknown reasons.

If you are further than 3 kft from the VRAD, the bandwidth starts to drop off quickly. Just like ancient DSL, it's very distance limited.
FTTN locations for U-Verse and most HFC systems are actually about the same. Coax just does a much better job than twisted pair at moving data.

Keep in mind the cable company also has antiquated rotting coax and shitty service in a lot of places.

In anecdotal polling, most of my customers prefer U-Verse video quality over Charter. Internet - not so much. Charter wins hands down.
Here's what I've concluded from personal use and talking to my customers.
Video quality: #1 DirecTV, #2 Dish Network, #3 U-Verse (and Prism for CenturyTel customers), #4 Charter.

IMO, U-Verse is a half-assed attempt at getting into TV. They should have just done FTTP. It's probably too late now. That's why cable will continue to eat the RBOC lunch on bandwidth.

In the mean time, cash is king. I'd go with the service that can give you the best deal.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Flummoxed
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Saint Peters, MO
reply to anhisr

I just switched from U-Verse(18mb) to Charter(30mb) and I have to say I'm liking Charter more then I did U-Verse even if they a way to triple speeds for better price. I noticed as soon I switched the latency of all the game servers I play on dropped quite a bit, speeds are more consistent even during peak times.

One huge difference I noticed was YouTube. With U-Verse I would have to buffer 15 minutes just to play a clip couple minutes long on 480p vs Charter having it ready to play in seconds and able to stay ahead of the video without pause buffering at 720p.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

ADSL2+ is still used in some areas for unknown reasons.

its used as the main because a couple of factors. First and foremost, most of the markets AT&T Uverse service is in has no real competitors. They didnt upgrade markets with good cable MSOs because they couldnt match the speeds.

Second is, as you said, the huge distance constraint. From real world reviews and data that I can find, the top Uverse speed of 24mbps is only reached by the chosen few that are less than 700(run feet) feet to the vrad. with the age of most of the phone lines in this country, anything longer and speeds tank hardcore. Past 1500 feet, most people are hard pressed to get anything above 1.5mbps, and AT&T knows this. The other problem with DSL, is that even if they change it to ADSL, the speeds will not increase. If they get 3mbps on VDSL2+, they will get the same speeds(maybe slightly better) on ADSL as well. So, while speed increases might happen, it will be for a very select few that can actually use it, since there are very few places that are less than 700 run feet to the VRAD.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to kherr

Full Blown U-Verse customers are not always able to obtain the entire line of speeds. It's still subject to distance.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Metatron2008

YMMV depending on area.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Chubbysumo

ADSL2+ is NOT the actual U-Verse TV product. But instead their IP-DSL product. U-Verse (that has TV and VoIP) uses VDSL.

Jamie Dolan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Chubbysumo

said by Chubbysumo:

Because of the type of DSL AT&T uses for Uverse service, ADSL2+, the service is limited to 24mbps down and 2mbps up at any time. This does not account for the fact that your TV streams will eat up some of that potential capacity, so, if you get the 24mbps(and its a big if, since current googling shows that unless your line run is less than 1000 feet to the vrad, and its in great shape, you will not get the full 24mbps, ever)

I get very close to the full 24 Mbps down and 3Mbps up. I am at right around 1,900 feet out or a little more.
No TV Service.
Jamie

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA
kudos:1

It's not worse then youtube HD i have directv which streams youtube hd and U-verse kills it. Judge for yourself don't take home brewed 'experts' opinions to heart.