Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

Consumer IPv6 Routers that don't suck

Has anyone had any luck with finding a consumer grade router that support IPv6 features well? I recently purchased a Netgear R6200 and was pleased to find that it had native dual stacking support. I went to enable IPv6 in the router and to my surprise, the only thing you could do is turn it on and off! I wanted to open the firewall to a few IP addresses on my network and I couldn't do it. The IPv6 firewall in the R6200 came in a default stateful configuration and you couldn't change the settings on it!

I contacted Netgear support about it and they told me there were no plans to let people adjust their v6 firewall settings in future firmware releases.

Really disappointing. I'm hoping there are some devices out there that work better than this that don't cost a fortune.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

That sux.

I run m0n0wall here on antique router hardware I got for peanuts, a Global Technology Associates GB-1000 that sold for over $3000 new 12 years ago.

Have you considered building your own router from some otherwise useless PC hardware, the kind of stuff people throw in the trash?

I've been doing that for many years and I've never owned a consumer grade router like Dlink, Netgear, Linksys, etc. until I picked up a Netopia 3347 just to use as a wireless AP, not as a router.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL
I actually have a Micro-ATX build that acts as a router at times. I also have a Cisco 881 i'm pretty happy with. Both support everything I need really well!

I usually test consumer equipment to be able to recommend stuff to people. I'd like to start recommending routers that are fairly future proof. I feel that IPv6 is a very important qualifier for this. So far, I haven't been impressed by anything out there.

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Clever_Proxy
If your definition of consumer grade includes anything selling for less than $170 then take a serious look at the Zyxel USG 20 (or 20W if you prefer integrated wireless). I have its slightly bigger brother (USG50). I use mine with a Hurricane Electric IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel. They also support native IPv6 and VPN. I got the USG50 when it was on sale at Amazon.com for a few dollars more than the USG20. However, the USG20 is more than adequate for most homes and small business that don’t need dual WAN.

»www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_ser···html?t=p

»www.zyxel.com/us/en/support/down···12.shtml
--
Jim Anderson

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 recommendation

reply to Clever_Proxy
I'm with the rest of the people who recommend gettin' your hands on some hardware which is not suitable for other purposes and building a router out of it. My preference is Linux. If that's the direction you go, Ubuntu Core or the alternate installation CD might prove useful in that respect. Mine (a Pentium 133) happens to be Fedora based and maintaining a tunnel with Hurricane Electric. The replacement I've been tinkering with for a while (a Pentium II 350) was installed with the Ubuntu alternate CD, and from a management perspective, I like that more (just haven't taken the time to migrate all the things my primary router is doing to make the new one primary).
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

2 recommendations

I recently set up a pc as a router. I relegated my wireless router to AP mode and got a 6in4 tunnel from he. Now I have ipv6. Considering I had virtually no knowledge of ipv6 to start with, it was not that difficult.

seaprobe

join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Clever_Proxy
Also, the Apple Airport Extreme works fine. I have my Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel configured on the Airport and it provides IPv6 to my network. It even works on the iPad. The advantage here is that it uses a lot less electrical power than a full blown PC, so I leave it running 24x7 without concern over the power or heat.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Clever_Proxy
I only like Linksy routers and I don't think they will ever work with IPv6 because they have a unique feature (why I won't use any other brand) that is not available with IPv6 (control of the DHCP lease time and addresses on the LAN side). So, considering that my ISP has made very little progress toward enabling IPv6 for its customers and my desire to use Linksy routers, I suppose I will just use IPv4 exclusively for as long as possible.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL

1 recommendation

I don't see how that feature would ever prevent the router from being v6 enabled. That's a pretty common feature.

Plus, a lot of ISPs don't require DHCPv6 to serve addresses to the hosts on your network. They use router advertisements with prefix-delegation.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Name routers that allow you to control the lease time. I haven't found any except Linksy.

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

Name routers that allow you to control the lease time. I haven't found any except Linksy.

Oddly enough, Verizon's Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I router with the latest firmware has settings for DHCPv6, including lease time. Of course, FiOS hasn't rolled out IPv6 yet, so the settings have no use yet...

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to Clever_Proxy
Click for full size
I'm using a Linksys E3000 router running TomatoUSB, connected to a Zoom 5341J modem. IPv6 works beautifully and was easy to set up. Here is a test I just did.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Clever_Proxy
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. This definitely gives me an idea of what's available right now.

I guess what I'm really looking for are out of the box routers that have good support v6 that don't require you to hack around with the firmware. I guess my aggravation is that some vendors (Netgear to be specific) do implement v6 on their devices and proudly display that on the packaging, but their functionality doesn't go beyond turning IPv6 on and off. To me, that's not an acceptable level of support. However, I did discover some D-Link DIR routers series do support this and do a fairly good job at it.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
My Buffalo, Asus, and Netgear routers all allow control of the lease time and work with IPv6.

mikev
Premium
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Clever_Proxy
Apple's Airport Extreme and Time Capsule routers also support IPv6. They don't have any DHCPv6 support though, and as a result don't pass IPv6 DNS addresses to the client systems (not so much an issue, unless you're looking to run ONLY IPv6).

They support native (provided by ISP) or tunneled IPv6 (I have one set up at home with a Hurricane Electric tunnel). It also has settings for its IPv6 firewall, which can be configured to allow either certain ports or all ports to be passed through to a host, or no firewalling at all.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
My D-Link DIR-825 does. Can set the "Router Advertisement Lifetime" when using stateless autoconfig or the DHCP lease time when using Stateful DHCP.

/M

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

My Buffalo, Asus, and Netgear routers all allow control of the lease time and work with IPv6.

What Netgear? The one Sam Knows sent does NOT. Netgear makes terrible routers.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit

1 recommendation

The NetGear router does, just not with the firmware it shipped with. Takes 5 minutes to put OpenWRT, DD-WRT, Tomato, or other much more capable 3rd party firmware on it. Just like my Asus and Buffalo routers. Even my old Linksys will take some of them.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

I did NOT ask about third party firmware on routers.

I stand by what I posted. ONLY Linksy routers do what I want.

Why would I want to put third party firmware on a new router? That voids your warranty and I always purchase using a credit card that gives an additional year's warranty up to 4 years total.
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

4 edits

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

I did NOT ask about third party firmware on routers.

Why would I want to put third party firmware on a new router? That voids your warranty and I always purchase using a credit card that gives an additional year's warranty up to 4 years total.

You asked about routers, I told you which routers meet the criteria you listed. You said nothing of firmware at the time.

Putting new firmware on your router doesn't void your warranty anymore than putting Win7 on your new Win8 computer will. Just like you won't buy a PC that doesn't include original install media, I won't get a router that isn't able to run 3rd party firmware. There are too many useful options enabled by such firmware to ignore. For some, like you, it's setting your own LAN lease times, but many other options not available on most OEM firmware are there. Your limited thinking keeps you stuck on Linksys, while I have a much wider selection of hardware and firmware to use. Quite often in the last few years OEM firmware from many manufacturers is based on 3rd party firmware to begin with anyway...

Some companies even sell or distribute routers with 3rd party or Open Source firmware preloaded, just like the Netgear WNR-3500L loaded with SamKnows firmware:
»www.netgear.com/home/products/wi···0l.aspx#
»www.easytomato.org/get-easytomato/
»www.buffalo-technology.com/en/dd-wrt.html
»www.trendnet.com/products/prodde···&cat=173
Linksys even marketed a few models specifically for use with 3rd party firmware, such as the WRT54GL.

Personally I start looking at routers marked as Open Source compatible first:
»www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···20router
»www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_···e+router
»www.google.com/shopping?q=open+source+router

I can always put the original firmware back on it in 5 minutes if there is an issue that requires it to be returned.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Mele20
The Zyxel USG line support setting IPv4 DHCP lease time. The web interface doesn't currently support setting IPV6 lease times (or they are the same as the IPv4 time you set). I have the IPv4 lease time set to 12 hours on all three of my subnets.
--
Jim Anderson

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Huh? I was pretty sure you only stated you wanted to control the lease time. Please specify what exactly the D-Link DIR-825 does not do as it meets your stated requirement: when using stateless autoconfig (it gives you the choice of stateless autoconfig+RDNSS or stateless autoconfig+stateless DHCP) you can set the router advertisement lifetime, or if you are using stateful DHCP instead you can set the address lifetime. This is with stock firmware, version 2.06NA.

/M

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to mikev
said by mikev:

They support native (provided by ISP) or tunneled IPv6

Gen 4 (MC340LL/A - A1354) and Gen 5 (MD031LL/A - A1408) support native, previous generations only support tunnel.

Great routers overall.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

• D-Link DIR-655
• Pace 4111N-030

I'd be surprised if anything newer than my Netgear FR114P didn't allow for user set DHCP lease time; unless it is a $39 Wonder.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
The Netgear I have and a newer model do not allow the user to set the DHCP lease time. Senior members in Netgear forum say that NO Netgear allows this and never has.

I did find a dlink that allows it.
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Mele20:

The Netgear I have and a newer model do not allow the user to set the DHCP lease time. Senior members in Netgear forum say that NO Netgear allows this and never has.

I did find a dlink that allows it.

Well, there you have it. Rather than Linksys being the only router which allows it, apparently Netgear may be one of the few which don't allow it (my ancient SMC Barricade 7004BR with the R1.96h2 firmware is also one of those few; along with both my Netgear FR114P and my Netgear FVS114).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

mikev
Premium
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric
reply to Clever_Proxy
It's technically marketed as a small biz router, but the Cisco RV215W (and probably others in the Cisco RV line) also support this adjustment. At about $100, and with nearly all of the features present in most consumer/home routers, as well as built-in VPN support that is often gained by using an open-source firmware on those home routers, it's probably not a bad choice. Other more advanced features include VLAN support, up to 4 wireless SSIDs with VLAN and guest network support.

More info on the RV215W, including a live demo of the web config interface, is available here:
»www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps1···dex.html

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to Mele20
Are you talking about lease time on the lan or for the wan? I'm using Sophos utm and it allows lan lease times to be set for both ipv4 and ipv6, separately.

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Clever_Proxy
My bad –you can set the IPv6 (as well as IPv4) lease times on Zyxel USG products for each interface (LAN1,LAN2, or DMZ)
Network
Interface
IPv6 configuration
lan1 or lan2
Show advanced settings
Information refresh time
Lease time in seconds
--
Jim Anderson

CalebLevArn

join:2013-05-04
reply to Clever_Proxy
When buying a new adsl modem, do you have to worry about IPV6 support or is that just with routers?