spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Joeinma

@verizon.net

[DVR] Picking which DVR is Multi-room

Just did the free set top box exchange, and replaced a second DVR with the new 72xx one. This was my son's DVR, while i already have a 72xx Multi room DVR myself that was the active multi-room. Once I activated the new one, it took over as the MR on it's own. Is there any way to change it back that does not involve dealing with a CSR?

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA
kudos:1
You should see all DVRs when you have MRDVR now.
--
Fiber Network Technician
Pomona, CA

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25
reply to Joeinma
What I have noticed after having two DVR's is that you can not choose to record on another DVR from the DVR you are at. You can only choose different DVR's from the regular STB's. I just assumed that's the way it was. Other then that you can view any recorded content from and DVR\STB.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
said by MagicalPig:

What I have noticed after having two DVR's is that you can not choose to record on another DVR from the DVR you are at. You can only choose different DVR's from the regular STB's. I just assumed that's the way it was. Other then that you can view any recorded content from and DVR\STB.

Yes, this bothers me as well..
From the master DVR, if I browse the guide & pick a show(s) to record, I can't choose to have it use the 'other DVR, ... yet the regular STB's can..

joeinma

@verizon.net
reply to MagicalPig
No I can see everything from both, the question was how do you set which one acts as the MRDVR. Since my living room one already was set, why would the basement one overrule it when I installed it?

As for recording on another DVR from the DVR you are at...you can, but only if you already have two shows recorded at the same time on the one you are at. For example, last night I had two shows recording and also wanted to record Glee (don't ask!)...so when I hit record it gave me the option to record on the basement on.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
None of them act as the MRDVR "Master" anymore, it is a flag on your account. If you have the feature, all DVRs are MRDVRs.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to MeatChicken
said by MeatChicken:

From the master DVR, if I browse the guide & pick a show(s) to record, I can't choose to have it use the 'other DVR, ... yet the regular STB's can..

That's when I pull out my phone and my trusty (old version of the) FIOS DVR Manager app.

pderosa

join:2000-08-29
Kearny, NJ
reply to MeatChicken
said by MeatChicken:

said by MagicalPig:

Last night I tried to set up a show to record on my DVR, but there were already two shows recording at that time slot. There was a pop-up message asking if I would like to record it on my other DVR. I had never noticed this before. Maybe they are doing upgrades that will allow you to choose soon.

MeatChicken

Paramus, NJ
said by pderosa:

said by MeatChicken:

said by MagicalPig:

Last night I tried to set up a show to record on my DVR, but there were already two shows recording at that time slot. There was a pop-up message asking if I would like to record it on my other DVR. I had never noticed this before. Maybe they are doing upgrades that will allow you to choose soon.

That has been there & is "The only way" the DVR allows you to select the "other" DVR, when there is already a confilict.
However, For example, say you are browsing the guide at 10PM, & are watching something live, & already recording 1 show as well.
If you see something you'd like to record, you are "forced" to either stop watching the live show, or not be able to record the 2nd show ... there's no option to use the "other" to record DVR....

marc3565

join:2009-10-08

1 edit
said by MeatChicken:

If you see something you'd like to record, you are "forced" to either stop watching the live show, or not be able to record the 2nd show ... there's no option to use the "other" to record DVR....

You could just start to record your live show. Then both tuners are busy so the offer to use the other DVR would pop up when trying to record the 3rd show. Then you could cancel the live recording and delete the partial recording... Definitely not pretty but it can be done.

MeatChicken

Paramus, NJ

1 edit
said by marc3565:

said by MeatChicken:

You could just start to record your live show. Then both tuners are busy so the offer to use the other DVR would pop up when trying to record the 3rd show. Then you could cancel the live recording and delete the partial recording... Definitely not pretty but it can be done.

Yes I realize the "multiple steps" to get around this problem/omission of the firmware ..
exit guide-go back to live show- start recording live show-re-enter guide- scroll back to actual desired program-select record-wait for conflict message-select other DVR-exit guide-stop recording live show-erase piece of live show ....