Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[NCAA-B] 2013 NCAA Tournament Chat

Tourny has already started it first full day and already there's been two unbelievable Big East events - Pitt who loved to bully the Big East teams fell flat on their asses. Marquette wins out on a last second layup.

AND THEY'RE OFF!!!
--
Playing Montana @10PM EST. Thanks NCAA for sending way the hell out to San Diego to play an "East" regional.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Upset City so far. I'm just hoping i can stay sober enough to remember the Syracuse game tomorrow morning
--
Playing Montana @10PM EST. Thanks NCAA for sending way the hell out to San Diego to play an "East" regional.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kingdome74
k, not many sports fans here but that's never stopped me... ok, Ricky, splain me this - we're playing California IN California and WE'RE the home team in the EAST regional?
--
K, on to the next round of the "East" regional in San Jose against that monster from the east... California. Yeah, love being at home.

NoHereNoMo

join:2012-12-06
It's early yet. But seriously, Wichita St. could make the Final Four, and I expect St. Louis will. As far as placement & location go... the South bracket games being played up in Michigan? ...very weird.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
reply to kingdome74
So far I have had two busts in my bracket. Harvard - that was out of nowhere, and I had Davidson over Marquette. Everything else still intact.

I have a lot riding on Butler...they are a final 4 for me.

Great game for my boys in Orange yesterday.

Lets give it all up and lose me some money hoping my alma, Ualbany beats Duke. Go Danes. (I have Duke in the bracket actually winning the whole thing)
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

Faster
Premium
join:2013-03-09
reply to kingdome74
I've played every major sport in the US except ice hockey, most at the college level for at least four years.

IMO without a doubt the sports I've played "team" and "teamwork" dominates in basketball more than any other sport.

You need five guys on the floor of which all five are having to do something all the time and do it "right." When good competitive teams meet if one team simply has a bit of an off night or the other team just gets red hot the best team can lose to a lesser but good team.

One trivia that perhaps most may not even care about but it is far, far harder to go undefeated in the regular season than it is to win a national championship. The former accomplishment doesn't get the glory as the latter, but the latter isn't exactly a cakewalk either!

NoHereNoMo

join:2012-12-06
reply to kingdome74
Philly schools are doing well.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to kingdome74
Thank you Harvard and Florida Gulf Coast for taking a giant dump on my Final Four.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kingdome74
My Ol' Miss dog barker pretty good but K State reversed that. As a Syracuse I'm still laughing at Georgetown. Way to represent the Big East ya losers! Marquette's win was classic.
--
K, on to the next round of the "East" regional in San Jose against that monster from the east... California. Yeah, love being at home.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
If I remember correctly Georgetown started this season terribly and just couldn't score at all. Then they started racking up lots of wins. I guess they reverted to early-season form in the tournament.
--
Round round get around. I get around.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kingdome74
I think the Hoyas were stunned when we bounced them out of the Big East tournament. We made them look just as bad as they made us look just a week before. They thought they were bulletproof against us after they beat us in the Dome. Of course the very first #2 seed to ever get bounced from the expanded NCAA tourny was us against Richmond I think in maybe 1988. Put them on the map.

Nothing like being the "home" team in San Jose, California playing a school named "California" who campus was 45 miles away. I'm just glad we won out there and shut all the yahoos up that said we'd leave Cali beaten. LOL, so much for CBS and their prognosticators.
--

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

1 recommendation

reply to kingdome74
Go Orange! Sweet 16!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Yippee! And we get Indiana too. Should be a very interesting team. The Hoosiers shoot fairly well so it's going to be a great match up against our zone. Having the game in DC where there are tons of Orange fans should be a help and Indiana travels well too so the atmosphere should be off-the-charts. Wish I could be there.
--
How Sweet it is! On to DC to face #1 seed Indiana. Just wish we didn't have to play so damned late.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to kingdome74
Interested to see how LaSalle does next game. They are the Cinderella team so far.

Faster
Premium
reply to kingdome74
RANT:

I'm really disgusted with the NCAA Prime Time tournament coverage. Not because of the sport, great game that it is, (I played four years of college BB), but because between the large number of teams that get into the tournament it drags on forever, (and they are talking about adding more teams!), and CBS is the network that carries the games.

So what you may reasonably ask? It just so happens that IMO CBS far and away carries the overwhelming majority of prime time OTA television series and they get booted by the games. On the West Coast or the greater Los Angeles area some very good popular local shows get booted too.

Depending on the night it could be "Person of Interest," (my personal favorite), or any of many others. (In terms of PT TV series on OTA CBS cleans up amazingly big time in terms of ratings or popular shows.)

There are so many teams in the tournament, please don't really add more teams, the tournament just seems to go on forever.

Ba humbug.

I'm not expecting a plethora of support or sympathy here.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Faster:

Then my guess is your expectations will be met

Personally what drives me crazy is this - duh, I watch every second of every Syracuse game. My wife and I have a whole routine worked out for whenever one of our players score. For instance every time James Southerland hits a three we say in unison "Jimma, Jimma" like the kid on South Park. Now there's a certain pace to every game and it's that pace all the players gear themselves for. Once the Tournament starts CBS/TBS/etc inundate every game with long stretches of commercials that aren't present during the regular season. I've always contended the teams that can best accumulate themselves to that pace wins.
--
How Sweet it is! On to DC to face #1 seed Indiana. Just wish we didn't have to play so damned late.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
DOINK!!! Goodbye Indiana!!!

Bring on the UP!

Faster
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

said by Faster:

Then my guess is your expectations will be met

I can feel the love.

Faster
Premium
reply to kingdome74
Even though I played college ball a long time ago and was my favorite team sport to play, I stopped following or watching BB many years ago.

This year I started to watch parts of some games. Question: Ther is now at the bottom of the key near the basket a quasi-half oval line or mark on the floor.

In one came I watched and in the same game I saw that mark for the first time a guy drove the lane and IMO clearly should have been called for a charge on a stationary defender standing in the vicinity of the mark. Now the physical contact was considerable and not ticky tack. The defender was hit pretty hard and knocked backward. No foul was called. No charging and no blocking. So I assumed an extremely blown call or some relation to the arc on the floor.

What's the arc and is there a connection what I describe?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Monday approved the addition to a restricted-area arc under the basket for use in Division I men's and women's basketball.

The circle, which will be three feet from the center of the basket, will be used by officials to help with block/charge calls during competition.

The NCAA basketball rules committee had recommended the use of the circle in order to cut down on the number of collisions near the basket.

»content.usatoday.com/com ··· leVfoGNM
--

Faster
Premium
said by kingdome74:

The circle, which will be three feet from the center of the basket, will be used by officials to help with block/charge calls during competition.

The NCAA basketball rules committee had recommended the use of the circle in order to cut down on the number of collisions near the basket.

»content.usatoday.com/com ··· leVfoGNM

Thanks for post a response and the info in the linked article. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, the article hilariously doesn't say anything of relevant educational value.

It says it's being put down to help in the cut down on collisions near the basket and by inference have some impact on charging fouls. Amazingly the article nether explains HOW it will cut down collisions near the basket or why or how it impacts or explains the affect on a charging foul or a determination of any between a blocking and charge.

I was amazed by the complete lack of info explaining what exactly the circle does and how it does it and how it changes or affects the rules. LOL. I'm not exaggerating. It's funny.

I really do appreciate though you taking the effort to respond though. Thank you. It's sure not your fault the writers of the articles explain nothing of relevance.

It's an article that says under a new rule a block of a beacon will be attached to the top of the backboard to prevent an accumulation of insects flying above the court and player's heads in the arena. (It neither says how the beacon is going to do that or why cutting down the number insects is important or relevant.)

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV
reply to kingdome74
»aol.sportingnews.com/nca ··· he-paint

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Faster
LOL, yes I noticed it was lacking in content but I wanted to get a response up as quick as I could.

Now in practical term at least in the Big East conference, not exactly known for their finesse, the rule was essentially thrown out. I saw tons of charges called during the season in the circle. During the tournament it looks like it depends on which refs you get. The Orange got lucky when we played Indiana because the refs let us play our game and Indiana had no answer to our zone. They couldn't get inside.

Marquette this afternoon will be an ugly affair if the refs let us play Big East basketball. We owe them one and I can't think of a better place to do it.
--
Lost to Marquette during the season so beating them to get into the Final Four would be oh so sweet.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
Does the Big East allow 6 fouls before fouling out?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Used to but it was changed back to 5.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
Thanks.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kingdome74
I suppose I should familiarizing myself with the ACC. I am not looking forward to playing Miami and Virgina Tech in football but in basketball and lacrosse the ACC will be a lone superpower.
--
Lost to Marquette during the season so beating them to get into the Final Four would be oh so sweet.

Faster
Premium
reply to kingdome74
OK but what is the arc or circle. How does it work. I mean if a guy drives the basket and violently colledes with a defender in his path its got to be foul, (how can it not be), and it's got IMO to either be a block or charge. How can it be a none foul and regardless how would the arc or circle have any effect on preventing the contact or effecting the penalty of block or charge?

Thanks again.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
said by Faster:

OK but what is the arc or circle. How does it work. I mean if a guy drives the basket and violently colledes with a defender in his path its got to be foul, (how can it not be), and it's got IMO to either be a block or charge. How can it be a none foul and regardless how would the arc or circle have any effect on preventing the contact or effecting the penalty of block or charge?

Thanks again.

The whole reason for new rule was to stop rewarding the practice of jumping in front of someone who was driving to the basket at the last instant to draw a charging call. Especially when that person blocking was not even trying to guard driving player or stop the shot.

Depending on how the refs actually implement this rule, I like it. I really hated those charging calls where the offensive player was in the air on a layup and some defender ran under him to draw the charging foul.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Right so instead of the offense getting an offensive foul the defender instead is whistled for blocking... but only in that semi-circle.
--