Sebehk
USN Retired, 1993-2013, yvan eht nioj
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Sebehk

Premium Member

I was gonna say the same thing.

I figured it was a Trojan wreaking havoc, but since I didn't hear of a new one when the post »[OS X] my mac has a virus? was written, I didn't think of anything else.

--->Robert
8-)

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul to Rojo31

to Rojo31
You know I've been told for years on this forum that malware/viruses and security isn't a concern for OSX. This has to be false.

Sebehk
USN Retired, 1993-2013, yvan eht nioj
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Sebehk

Premium Member

said by Uncle Paul:

You know I've been told for years on this forum that malware/viruses and security isn't a concern for OSX. This has to be false.

Yeah, unfortunately, as the Mac-user base grows, so is the probability of malware growth.

Luckily, there are NO wild viruses, and most Trojan infections are through social engineering and trickery (like this one).

I still don't use any type of anti-virus. I'm savvy enough to know what I'm downloading/installing and know where to NOT go on the Internet.

--->Robert
8-)

AlexNYC
join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

AlexNYC to Uncle Paul

to Uncle Paul
said by Uncle Paul:

You know in order to get infected with this "virus" you have to download it yourself and then install it by clicking "Continue" then entering your password ... you see where I am going with this don't you.

In the words of that great blue color Texas philosopher Ron White "You can't fix stupid!"

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul

User duping is an issue for Windows as well as OSX.

In the last two years the hacking contests have shown the ability to perform driveby downloads on both Windows as well as OSX. This year I believe Safari was the best, but FF and Opera on both OSs allowed it to occur.

The capability is there and as with Windows it tends to be 3rd party generated.

The question still remains how Apple will handle security issues? Past performance has shown to be slow in response and a tendency to downplay issues.

AlexNYC
Edwards, CO

AlexNYC

Let's not compare Charlie Miller's brilliant work to some dumbass infecting their own computer (any OS or browser) out of ignorance.

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul

In the end it doesn't matter if it's a brilliant technical hack or a socially engineered basic one. The end result is a compromised system.

AlexNYC
Edwards, CO

AlexNYC

I respectfully disagree, one displays incredible skill and logic and the other exploits the lack of both. Just my 2c. The result may be similar, but I don't consider the latter a "hack".

If a boxer wins against a true heavyweight contender is not the same than if he wins against a high-school kid.

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul to Rojo31

to Rojo31
Social Engineering is part of hacking and is a key part of penetration testing.

If you would prefer to move to a more traditional framework, we'll just call them both risks that require mitigation. Albeit different mitigations, but mitigations never the less.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to Rojo31

Premium Member

to Rojo31
I don't know. AFAIK I've never been infected, but I tend to limit surfing to 3-4 specific research sites, download little except software updates from Apple, and not much else. The rewards of risky behavior are too many

dscl
join:2001-07-15
Suwanee, GA

1 recommendation

dscl to Rojo31

to Rojo31
Apple has updated Xprotect to block this.

»www.macrumors.com/2013/0 ··· -adware/