We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Re: Wind Mobile is For Sale

said by Guspaz:

Well, Fongo is offering Wind $1 billion on top of the 49%, which is at the upper end of the rumoured offer from Tony Lacavera/Orascom Dude which is said to be between $500m and $1b.

Huh? Where did you get the $1B number?

From Fongo's press release....
»news.fongo.com/Fongo-Mak ··· -Mobile/
Fongo's offer submitted to WIND Mobile proposes a $1 purchase price and a 49% equity ownership stake in Fongo.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Rastan

MVM

to Rastan
I assumed that was a typo, because they said they'd lined up venture capitalists and financial support from the GoC for their bid. Unless you think the venture capitalists offered fifty cents, and the GOC offered fifty cents... I assume they mean $1 billion and the 49% is to try to sweeten the deal over other $1b offers.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Rastan

Premium Member

to Rastan
Fibrenetics would most likely make a decent go of Wind without being eaten up by the Big 3 later on. They're one of (if not the?) largest CLECs in the country. This offer is a good thing, though I tend to agree with Guspaz that I'd like to see Lacavera get the chance to build the company under ownership rules that would allow him to succeed.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to Rastan

Premium Member

to Rastan
Wind Execs are making fun of Fongo's bid via twitter:

"I hereby publicly offer to buy Fongo for $1 and half my sandwich. Hopefully the story gets picked up before I get too hungry to deliver."
»twitter.com/LockieSimon/ ··· 21074944

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Rastan

MVM

to Rastan
Aha, I guess the $1 wasn't a typo. It's a moronic bid, then. Just makes Fongo a laughing stock.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It wasn't a typo?

Ugh.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Unless Fongo has issued an updated press release in the past 6 hours, then no, it wasn't a typo.

If Vimpelcon has deemed Canada to be non-core, then why would they want 49% of another Canadian asset. It's still the same ass-backward CRTC/Industry Canada running the show, wireless or wired.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Rastan

Premium Member

to Rastan
Hamilton Spec reports on Lacavera's/Globalive's bid:

»www.thespec.com/news/bus ··· s-owners
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to Rastan

Premium Member

to Rastan
And then this »www.bloomberg.com/news/2 ··· ons.html could kill Wind. Their network is filled with Huawei gear.

Seems like the Feds are going out of their way to kill the new entrants.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

Or maybe there's actual reason to be concerned about gear sourced from a Chinese company that was started with government funds?

The American's are doing everything they can to block Huawei equipment from being used down there.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Rastan

MVM

to Rastan
I don't really see the problem... Huawei is the largest telecom supplier in the world (they're in the process of passing Ericsson), and Bell and Telus also built their networks using mostly Huawei hardware, IIRC. The federal government isn't considering banning anybody from using Huawei's stuff, only placing additional requirements on Huawei (and theoretically other providers, since they're not specifically targeting Huawei, but in reality only care about Huawei) such as code reviews and random audits. In any case, any burden would be borne by Huawei rather than WIND.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy to TLS2000

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

Or maybe there's actual reason to be concerned about gear sourced from a Chinese company that was started with government funds?

The American's are doing everything they can to block Huawei equipment from being used down there.

Yah because we only want the USA to have a back door to our cellular networks

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

I've never been involved in the marketing or branding - I'm a technical guy, so I can't speak too deeply about that side of the business... BUT...

Chatr (Roger's value brand) has unlimted text/talk packages for $35, Koodoo starts at $35... So in line with Wind's $30 offering, at least; and much greater coverage area, too.

No data....which Wind offers for less money. Believe me, I looked. Chatr would be great, but it's $45 for unlimited text/talk with 100MB of data, which is basically useless for a smartphone. Or Wind is $30 for unlimited text/talk (Province wide) and unlimited data (throttle after 5 GB).
J E F F4

J E F F4 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

Re: Unlocked AWS iPhone on WIND now a reality - April 12th

said by MaynardKrebs:

This just in
»arstechnica.com/apple/20 ··· t-phone/

"...the phones that will go to market on April 12 will be sold unlocked, so users could conceivably hop between the two American carriers (and other global carriers) as much as they like after they've purchased that new phone. Apple will sell the modified A1428 iPhone 5 for full retail price starting April 12 as well."

This could change the calculus for many people looking to flee ROBELLUS to better/lower cost plans on WIND - hundreds of thousands of people could become WIND customers rather quickly if WIND can get a Tab program going soon.

Wow...just saw that. Winds Tab program only offers $300 of max, but if you do that math, just put the entire phone on a LOC and pay it off in 20 months at $35 or so...so $65 for phone and plan, $30 after 20 months...

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

you will have to wait and see how much they charge for it, and how much the tab and service costs to determine exactly what kind of "deal" you are getting.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

you will have to wait and see how much they charge for it, and how much the tab and service costs to determine exactly what kind of "deal" you are getting.

I think it will be the Wind standard, with some service credits as well..which really might be useless for most people, like me. I don't have voicemail for a reason.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Rastan

MVM

to Rastan

Re: Wind Mobile is For Sale

iPhones sold directly unsubsidized through Apple in Canada have always been unlocked out of the box. What was stopping you from walking into an Apple store, buying an iPhone, and sticking a WIND SIM into it had nothing to do with locking, only that the phone didn't support the right frequencies. Nothing at all is changing in that regard.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

iPhones sold directly unsubsidized through Apple in Canada have always been unlocked out of the box. What was stopping you from walking into an Apple store, buying an iPhone, and sticking a WIND SIM into it had nothing to do with locking, only that the phone didn't support the right frequencies. Nothing at all is changing in that regard.

All future iphones will support AWS. Apple is discontinuing the model that doesn't support AWS.

»www.iphoneincanada.ca/ca ··· ilicity/