spc
uniqs
mdurkin
join:1999-08-11
San Bruno, CA

mdurkin to ray2047

to ray2047

Re: Does AT&T Cancel Email For Non Use

That may coorespond with when gmail changed their servers to be very strict about SSL certificates when popping email. I think it was around December 11th. If it didn't like the SSL certificate for some reason, it would refuse to continue with the session. For example self-signed certificates suddenly didn't work, and other discrepancies could also make it fail... perhaps you had given gmail a hostname for the POP server that didn't match the SSL certificate. Gmail did this without warning and it caused problems for a lot of folks; there were threads on google's own forums complaining about it, especially that the change was made with no notice at all. There may be more than one thing going on in your case.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by mdurkin:

That may coorespond with when gmail changed their servers to be very strict about SSL certificates when popping email. I think it was around December 11th. If it didn't like the SSL certificate for some reason, it would refuse to continue with the session. For example self-signed certificates suddenly didn't work, and other discrepancies could also make it fail... perhaps you had given gmail a hostname for the POP server that didn't match the SSL certificate. Gmail did this without warning and it caused problems for a lot of folks; there were threads on google's own forums complaining about it, especially that the change was made with no notice at all. There may be more than one thing going on in your case.

The SSL certificate problem may be spot on. My Windows and Linux email servers poll some AT&T/Yahoo! accounts, and the server logs frequently have SSL certificate warning entries for the AT&T/Yahoo! email servers. In my case, the local email servers just log the warnings and continue, but Google may indeed handle it differently for "POP'd" email accounts.
ray2047
join:2009-06-21
Houston, TX

ray2047 to mdurkin

to mdurkin
quote:
That may coorespond with when gmail changed their servers to be very strict about SSL certificates when popping email.
Thanks, I was not aware of that. Maybe I will take another stab at setting it up in K-mail or Thunderbird.