spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cmorgan13
@sbcglobal.net

cmorgan13

Anon

Interface on HF Rig since U-Verse Install

I had U-Verse installed last week. We got the full package Internet, TV and Phone. Since install I have been getting severe interface on my HF Rig. My rig is an Elecraft K3. It is a constant s9+ hash noise on 40M, s7 on 20M and s4 on 15M. I have tried killing power to my different breakers trying to eliminate any other sources. I had something similar a couple years ago that was originating from a bad cell phone charger. Was curious if any else has encountered a issue like this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

I'm no expert by any means but thought i'd ask relevant questions. I assume you have the power feeds isolated? I wonder if there is noise coming from a common ground. Is your antenna grounded separately? Is your phone line touching any connection for your rig or antenna? The Uverse connection uses VDSL signaling which is known to operate in the AM radio frequency ranges and higher. It could also just be a cheap transformer on the Uverse gateway router doing it. Can you shut the router off and test?

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to cmorgan13

Premium Member

to cmorgan13
UVerse is a challenge to live with as a ham.

I have not been active for several years but I tend to listen.
Everything below 8Mhz was pure noise for me but I have been able to reduce it by moving my feedlines, using power line isolation, etc.

The challenge is transmitting... I tend to reset our iNID or cause the system to retrain constantly even with low power levels. (less than 50 watts)

This info might be of use:
»aa6e.net/wiki/Uverse

(I have a few old rigs I use.. a few kenwierds and a Yaesu... I have been eyeballing those Elecraft rigs.)

cmorgan13
@sbcglobal.net

cmorgan13 to rolande

Anon

to rolande
Thanks for the reply. I actually did check the ground from the ATT box on the outside of my house and it was not connected to my electrical ground so I did connect it. I may run a new wire because it was very corroded but it is connected which is better than it was. I tried turning off all of the recievers and unplugging them throughout the house. And it made no difference. They installed a Belkin UPS which I unhooked and turned off for a second but I may can try to leave it off longer tomorrow night to see if it makes a difference. The ATT Tech had snipped all of my cables and left it a mess with dead ends connected and all in my attic and I cleaned those up as well. Tommorrow evening I will try unhooking everything and leaving it off to see if it helps. They did run a new looks like cat5/6 burial cable which is on top of the ground. Not sure if it may be radiating. I was unaware that U-Verse used the VDSL and radiated in the AM band. That explains why it is worse on the low bands. I tried 40M which is at 7mhz and it was pretty much unusable didn't even switch to 80 at 3.5mhz I imagine it is total noise.

Again thanks I will try some other things tomorrow evening.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

The answer to your question on the burial cable is yes. Until it is actually buried under ground it can be a problem. The reverse is also true. If you or a nearby AM transmitter are generating enough ground noise in the right frequency range, you can actually knock out your Uverse VDSL connection. I'd be curious if you just unplugged the phone line from the RG if the problem disappeared. That cable on the ground is nothing but a big antenna until it is buried.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509 to cmorgan13

to cmorgan13
Buried or aerial it doesnt matter.What maters is the bonding and grounding.Grounded sheath throughout the cable is what keeps interferes from affecting you service.
cmorgan13
join:2013-03-22
Denham Springs, LA

cmorgan13 to rolande

to rolande
Ok I will try that shortly. Currently my wife is in the middle of a show. I did unplug the phone line that is feeding my house but not the feed line side. I will try that and let you know.

Michael