share rss forum feed

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1

[PA] Liquor Privatization

Private liquor stores may be coming to Pennsylvania after 80 years of control by the state. For those unfamiliar with the law in PA, liquor must be purchased at state owned liquor stores operated by state employees.

»www.philly.com/philly/news/polit ··· comments

In a historic vote, the House of Representatives has passed a bill that would privatize the sale of wine and hard liquor in Pennsylvania.

This is wonderful news for the citizens of PA and I expect this to reflect an increase in the price of Liquor Licenses throughout the state.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
·ooma
Having recently moved to Florida after living my entire life in Pennsylvania, I now realize how absolutely silly the whole system is there in regards to alcohol sales. I'm glad that steps are being taken to privatize/modernize the system.

Down here, I can buy beer/wine practically anywhere, from Walgreens, to Winn-Dixie, to Walmart, and even at Wawa. Even Costco has a huge wine selection. This is how it should be.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Wawa has hit Florida?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
·ooma
said by Jodokast96:

Wawa has hit Florida?

They have like 9 stores in the Orlando area and 5 in the Tampa Bay area. Their CEO said something about 250 Florida stores in 5 years.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4
reply to Lone Wolf
As it is written now, I don't think this will pass the PA Senate. It doesn't hit all the points, reduces hours on Sunday that beer distributors can remain open, does not allow for convenience stores to sell beer, nor grocery stores unless they have a "restaurant".

It will be voted down party lines, just like it was when it passed the House. The House was predominantly republican, so they sided with the Governor. It won't be as easy in the Senate as even Republican Senators have the rural community to consider (who are against the bill), and constituents who will be negatively affected due to their ownership of beer distributors; not to mention pissed off powerful convenience store corporations (Sheetz) who won't benefit from it and are rallying to kill it.

This poor Governor's promises and plans are failing before they ever see the light. The name One Term Tommy is getting more and more appropriate.

Guess it's a wait and see at this point. It's possible it'll get rewritten, but it requires a lot of changes to pass, IMO.
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to John97
said by John97:

Having recently moved to Florida after living my entire life in Pennsylvania, I now realize how absolutely silly the whole system is there in regards to alcohol sales.

You are a lucky dude. Good luck in FL.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
USA
reply to Kristopher
said by Kristopher:

As it is written now, I don't think this will pass the PA Senate. ............................ snip .............................

Guess it's a wait and see at this point. It's possible it'll get rewritten, but it requires a lot of changes to pass, IMO.

We can contact our state senators and ask them for privatization. But it is a wait and see situation as you've stated.

I own an "R" License and the only thing that would affect my business would be that I would be allowed to sell up to 6 bottles of wine to takeout patrons. It might make my license more valuable but Philadelphia is currently experiencing a revitalization of the restaurant scene in Center City and license values have increased dramatically in the past couple years.