how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

1 edit

EA nominated for worst company, for the second year.

They won last year, and they can do it again this year for a repeat!

A full list of contestants. »consumerist.com/2013/03/18/here-···rnament/

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

They can deliver the second golden poop to John Riticello's house mansion when it's done... he fully and trully deserves it
--
Because, f*ck Sony

eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA

1 recommendation

reply to me1212

Aw. Should've had FB and Carnival on opposite sites of the bracket. That one will be a dandy Final Four matchup.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to me1212

I'm honestly just not surprised. At all. Anywhere you go its obvious that once the name 'EA' is mentioned a shit storm isn't too far behind. Plus, add to that the numerous petitions out there from people calling for the death of EA.

EA gets a bad rep(and a well deserved one too I might add) because of how they butcher existing franchises once they've purchased and acquired the game rights/development offices. I've seen countless times what were once fabulous game IP's go down in flames. And the developers, who were once thriving on their own, now out of a job because their offices were eventually closed down. And the culprit has usually been EA and their 'acquisitions'. It's a terrible thing to keep seeing over and over again.

They also get a bad rep because of how they nickel and dime their customers. I think other game companies do the same thing, even Valve who is beloved by most gamers(including myself), but because EA's reputation proceeds them they get flamed to hell. I hate being nickel and dimed to death for content but EA really does take it to a new low.

Thats my take on it. These are just a few of the reasons that stand out in my mind. I'm sure there are plenty, plenty more.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by TruSm0ke:

EA gets a bad rep(and a well deserved one too I might add) because of how they butcher existing franchises once they've purchased and acquired the game rights/development offices. I've seen countless times what were once fabulous game IP's go down in flames. And the developers, who were once thriving on their own, now out of a job because their offices were eventually closed down. And the culprit has usually been EA and their 'acquisitions'. It's a terrible thing to keep seeing over and over again.

No kidding, right? Yea, let me count the number of ways that I am glad to see John Riticello gone.

•Considering even Ubisoft backed away and started releasing all future PC games stripped of and patched out existing games of always-on-style DRM because of the obvious logistical fiasco it would be, why would anyone at EA of sound mind and body willfully choose to implement such a DRM on what is/has always been a single-player franchise? THIS GUY (be prepared, I'm going to be emphasizing this a lot)

•Some of the programmers work on their own free time to create and release something genuinely scary and a solid entry into the survival horror style of gaming with Dead Space. Yet in time for Dead Space 3, it was then made the decision that the game should cater to the "dude brah" crowd by CoD-ifying it to the point it was no longer scary or a relevant entry worthy of sharing the same title, and by doing so both making a game that doesn't properly appeal to the "dude brah" market and alienating the people that supported the franchise to this point. Why? THIS GUY

Command & Conquer (specifically, the first Red Alert on PlayStation of all things) is the entry that got me into the RTS genre... EA absorbs Westwood Studios rather early on... and then release C&C3, which effectively killed any further interest I've had in the genre. Why, you may ask? THIS GUY

Origin has become a living symbol of the sheer contempt and disregard EA has for PC gamers at large, and the PC gaming community in general. Who was the wunderkind CEO that enabled this travesty to exist? THIS GUY

•EA once had a pretty strong partnership with AKI, to release the rather excellent Def Jam Vendetta and Fight For N.Y. thereafter. Yet who was the guy that went on to flip them off, and betray what could have been a turn-key franchise for EA to keep by reusing an inadequate fighting engine in the most inappropriate entry possible, thus betraying its fans in the form of Def Jam: ICON? THIS GUY

•At first, I didn't even much care that EA cancelled on NBA Elite because of the good news that NBA Jam was coming back. But why leave the market void for two full years and then only release two near-identical games for it? What executive decided to drop the (literal) ball this badly? THIS GUY

•The reason there are pretty much no worthwhile sports games available for PC? THIS GUY

EA Sports MMA was actually a pretty solid first title, and was incredibly ballsy of EA to go ahead and let the team finish it, even when the then-king in the genre (UFC) decided to start retaliating against fighters that helped them with bans and the like. And yet before we can ever get a proper follow-up that would have expanded on the good that they had going, the company kow-tows to the UFC to then (absently) put out their future licensed games... of which I've yet to be aware of a-one. What bozo exec decided it was a good idea to piss away those developers' efforts just for licensing fees that are not getting employed to a single worthwhile game? THIS GUY

Mass Effect 3 was an utter betrayal of the series, and to this day I refuse to play it because I enjoyed the hell out of 1 & 2 and do not wish to have my positive experienced soured because of this debacle. First was the day-one DLC that was required to play; Second was - again - appealing to the "dude brah" crowd by adding a multiplayer mode that didn't ever need to be in Mass Effect in the first place. But the real kicker? The "pick a room, that's your ending" BS that basically negated the 100+ hours of work, toiling, decisions and missions from the last two games... Can you guess who was responsible for this mess? Spoiler Alert: THIS GUY

•I personally was among those that simply wanted a proper Kotor 3, and knew from the beginning that changing it to a muhmorpuger was nothing more than an EA cash grab for World of Warcraft. It wasn't bad in its level-limited trial... but then who was the righteous asshole that came up with all those heinous and draconian restrictions when the game officially went free-to-play? THIS GUY

•Their legendarily bad mis-management kills off Westwood Studios; kills off Bioware; Kills off Pandemic. But which studio did they basically leave alone to be the entitled pricks that they are? effin' Crytek. Crytek just wants to be another 'tech demo' company like id, but without the years of contributions or street cred to back it up. Their work goes on to fuel the "PC Master Race" fanboys who then point to its boring gameplay as the be-all, end-all of the PC as the platform for gaming, only to never realize the irony that the game's bloat and veggie fetish assures that all but the 1%ers will never be able to have or afford a system powerful enough to run it as fluidly and as prettily to justify such ridiculous claims. the fact that the devs at Crytek continue to very publicly piss and moan and bitch and whine about every single time they are then t(asked) to optimize ANYTHING about their games, and it makes me wish EA took this group of entitled twits out back Old Yeller style and spared these other studios they'd closed/axed/eliminated. And who decided to spare these grossly unrealistic devs who think everyone must own a $9000 god-box to play their games? THIS GUY

•It's no secret that the only form of measurable growth that EA has had in THIS GUY's tenure has been through buying out and absorbing different studios that were at least perfectly sustainable on their own, only to then fire everyone and close them down whenever the next game isn't some AAAA multi-platinum seller.

Mirror's Edge was not a bad game... granted, I didn't get into it that much, and I know it didn't sell that well, but it was a worthy experiment. Did it fail? In a way... but experiments should be allowed to fail. Yet when THIS GUY saw the game wasn't pulling millions of sales, EA then chose to retcon the game like hell out of existence, instead of giving it a chance to be out there.

•The fact that not banning consumers who are critical of their products is actually considered news worthy (most recently shown by the SimCity debacle) is enough to fully paint the picture of the kind of anti-consumer company that EA has become. Who do we have to thank for that? THIS GUY

The Sims as a whole has more than DLC add-ons out there to basically assure you spend more on the DLC than you did on the original disc. But what if you only want certain bits of the available DLC? You then run into the problem of either a certain DLC you might want requiring other DLC to be installed first, or the DLC that you would want/need not being in print or available through any legal means. And unlike Gearbox, EA refuses to do a "complete edition" or similar that would include the game with all the available DLC at a more reasonable price. Why? Spoiler alert: THIS GUY

•EA's business practices as a whole for the past so many years have become the stuff of internet memes... and not one of them even remotely positive or pleasant.

•The NFL Exclusivity deal. I shouldn't need to say more in this matter.

It just goes on, and on, and on... it's like EA is being run like a cable company, only casually forgetting that they have to compete if they want to stay relevant.

John Riticello, much like many of these ultra-entitled CEOs that we now have to deal with, comes off exactly like someone who was raised without having to be held accountable or face any form of consequences for their actions. For what he has done in his tenure at EA, I personally hope he is permanently blackballed from any and every studio and company that even remotely serves the gaming industry.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1

Good points all, but the board of EA is who put him up there, and that same board will be appointing his replacement.

So eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die (again).

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

said by DrModem:

Good points all, but the board of EA is who put him up there, and that same board will be appointing his replacement.

So eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die (again).

In that case, after three bad CEO's, the board should just be summarily and wholly dissolved (read: fired and banned), because they clearly lack basic critical thinking and decision making skills
--
Because, f*ck Sony

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA
reply to me1212

If i could vote I would vote EA as well
--
hmmmmmm....

CylonRed