join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 edit

Fundraising Campaign To get Sb6141 Certified On rogers

Okay So I am going to be starting a Fundraising Campaign To get The SB6141 and Sb6180 And Any other Modems we As a Group Choose to Certify, Step 1 to making this Campaign Successful is we need a ISP to Step forward and Tell us how much we need to raise and that they will Put the wheels in motion if we raise X dollars to get our favorite Modem Certified With the fact there is Several Thousands of Cable users Its not how much we each give but More How many of us we can reach to give a dollar or 2! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Tariff Stipulates $8100 I believe but there is also costs i am sure to the Isp for labour and putting forth a sample modem etc.. So thats why i am hoping for some responses, from rocca, Paul or marc or there Staff.

If Teksavvy , Acanac, Start or any other Cable Based ISP would like to weigh in if this IS doable and what we need to raise for them get it done for us Please Speak up!
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

This is an excellent idea, I'd be willing to chip more than a few dollars towards getting newer modems certified.

I think I want one thing clarified since I didn't read all the tarrifs, once a modem is certified by one ISP, or group, its certified for all IISPs? If so this sounds like a really great idea, if only a certain percentage of all customers from TSI, Start, Acanac, Distributel, EBOX contributed a dollar each, the $8100 would easily achieved.

The hardest part will be getting the word out. You'd some kind of Facebook/Twitter campaign perhaps. I don't know if the IISPs could legally solicit it via emails, maybe Marc or rocca could chime in on that. But social media is available to us to to get something like this going.

Anon user

@start.ca

You'll need the isp to step up and sell the modems with a garanteed compatible firmware. Rogers wont update the firmware anymore and going to teddy and mlord is just not sustainable. Buying online is a crapshoot, found that out with my sb6121.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Anon user :

You'll need the isp to step up and sell the modems with a garanteed compatible firmware. Rogers wont update the firmware anymore and going to teddy and mlord is just not sustainable. Buying online is a crapshoot, found that out with my sb6121.

This is the bigger problem, IMO... Perfectly serviceable modems with previously approved firmwares are garbage because Rogers wont push firmware updates...

This should have been brought in front of the CRTC when the issue first appeared.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to morisato

As a couple people the issue is more so the supply, ie there isn't a lot of value in certifying a modem that isn't available to be purchased and we need to also have 5 modems available to be sent for testing. That said, if someone came to us with 5 modems and $9000 ($8100 + tax), then I'm sure we'd do what we could to help out and get it certified.

morisato

Oshawa, ON

Great So we have a Goal of what we need 5 modems, Supply Chain, 9 thousand dollars. Thanks rocca for the Info!
--

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to morisato

I used to believe that ISPs got one free modem per year, but at this point I think that was wrong. I'd love some info on that though.. Maybe it is one free modem when you become a TPIA?

Anyway, I'm searching for a reference on another issue, which is proving hard to find, for now I found this highly related thread:
»[Cable Modems] New Unit Approvals
--
electronicsguru.ca

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

The only other question which would need to be answered is Why is the 6141 better than currently certified modems like the DCM476? both are 8x4 bonders whats the Benefit? i mean if were going to raise funds there has to be a benefit besides brand preference.
--

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

1 edit
reply to morisato

EDIT
Finally! That isn't how I wanted to spend my morning
»Re: [Cable] Should I get the Motorola SB6120 at this point? (28m

In it, TSI Elizabeth says:

What i have found out after looking into this is there is no guarantee of support for the firmware. Rogers does not on a whim decide to upgrade firmware. These upgrades are only performed to maintain network stability and to ensure that the modem is functioning properly. They do notify us prior to the firmware requirements being changed but will not update the firmware for us.
Which is a better way of saying what I tried to convey.

Original message:
Okay, I can't find the thread.. In it somebody with authority at Teksavvy confirms that Rogers has complete and arbitrary control over listing and de-listing models. The $9000 fee does not imply any guarantee at all.

So, worst case scenario, we could theoretically get a modem approved for this summer and Rogers could decide it was not compatible by this fall. In practice Rogers has behaved much better than that. I don't intend it to stop this project. However, it is important for everybody to understand the situation going in.
--
electronicsguru.ca

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to rocca

said by rocca:

As a couple people the issue is more so the supply, ie there isn't a lot of value in certifying a modem that isn't available to be purchased and we need to also have 5 modems available to be sent for testing. That said, if someone came to us with 5 modems and $9000 ($8100 + tax), then I'm sure we'd do what we could to help out and get it certified.

+1. This is your #1 issue. You could get it certified, but who's going to provide supply. ISPs don't want to be in the modem selling business...they are because in reality there is no other way to get them (True story, all the modems out there at one point came from a Cable ISP, wether in Canada, the US, etc.), Retail stores that carry modems....they get the supply from the ISPs themselves...

If I'm an IISP, I don't want to be in the modem procurement business, the inventory cost would probably kill my business.

I know people want Motorola modems, but I just don't see the worth in it....you'd need a LOT of inventory and that cost isn't cheap...but maybe Rocca knows some trick about accounting and inventory that I don't .

eh why

@videotron.ca
reply to morisato

said by morisato:

Okay So I am going to be starting a Fundraising Campaign To get The SB6141 and Sb6180 And Any other Modems we As a Group Choose to Certify,

Start a campaign to give money to a children's hospital and leave the modems for the ISP's to share amongst themselves. TSI, Acanac, Ebox, Start, Velcom are not exactly poor. CNOC members can use their own money.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

said by rocca:

+1. This is your #1 issue. You could get it certified, but who's going to provide supply. ISPs don't want to be in the modem selling business...they are because in reality there is no other way to get them (True story, all the modems out there at one point came from a Cable ISP, wether in Canada, the US, etc.), Retail stores that carry modems....they get the supply from the ISPs themselves...

If I'm an IISP, I don't want to be in the modem procurement business, the inventory cost would probably kill my business.

I know people want Motorola modems, but I just don't see the worth in it....you'd need a LOT of inventory and that cost isn't cheap...but maybe Rocca knows some trick about accounting and inventory that I don't .

I believe the supposed supply issue is being overstated in this thread. The modem is widely available globally and in the U.S.. Pretty much all electronics retailers across North America deal with the same wholesale suppliers (the biggest probably being Ingram Micro for computer electronics). Retailers in Canada will have no problem getting inventory, I wouldn't be surprised if small inventory of SB6141s already sit in Vancouver or Toronto already for niche buyers who like to tinker or take risks of using unsupported modems. Amazon.ca currently ships it within Canada as well.

So again, it's limited availability has to do more with Canadian retailers not wanting to carry something on their shelves that has very little demand. If it gets certified, that will change. I don't believe the cost of adding it to their inventory (they being the IISPs) is great either. Once certified, they're just acting as retailers of the modem, they buy in bulk, pay shipping from the wholesaler and then sell at mark up to make those costs back. Unless there's something else there that would add costs.

It's fair to say there people here who don't care about the brand of the modem and stating that is fair. But I don't think its necessary to shoot down the idea of raising funds for certification by those of us that would like to see the option of current Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem. You don't agree with it thats fine, its a fundraiser, not a tax, those that want to pay or help will. Those that don't, won't.