Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt

Re: THunderbolt drives are rediculously priced.

It comes from the lack of volume. They aren't producing enough to get the price down. Unfortunately there isn't the demand to support them producing enough to get the price down. The market just isn't that big.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I think I'll just get a usb 3.0 enclosure for now and a Samsung 830 or 840.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to skeechan

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

It comes from the lack of volume. They aren't producing enough to get the price down. Unfortunately there isn't the demand to support them producing enough to get the price down. The market just isn't that big.

Thunderbolt will need to make a serious break into the PC market for this to happen.

I have a WD 6Tb Thunderbolt drive (I think it's a couple of drives, really) and it's pretty sweet, even though it was expensive (plus the $50 cable...) Beats the crap out of the USB 2.0 drive I had to do the same work before (I have a 2011 iMac, so it only has USB 2.0).

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Well at these prices, how are they supposed to get higher volume?

They should have made their move before Macs got USB 3.0 ports. Now most people who just want a decent external drive can get a USB 3.0 drive off the shelf for $100 and have 100MB/sec+ transfer.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

They don't. T-Bolt will never be cheap. It will be niche just like Firewire. As the previous poster said, the broad market will never exist unless typical Pee Cee mainboards ship with T-Bolt and even then TB are competing with a 15 year old (or thereabouts) USB market. Obviously if people buy a USB 3 drive and they can use it with anything which is why I buy them.

T-Bolt, like displayport, was dead the moment it was released.
skeechan

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
And since you can never have too much space the 4TB WD USB 3 external is $150 at Amazon right now. I have one and just picked up another. I can't even get the shiny box and styrofoam a T-Bolt drive comes in for $150.