spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

knoxyouout

join:2012-11-28
Ottawa, ON

Switching to Start from TSI cable - FTTN or Cable?

So, I've been with TSI for almost a year and a half. I've lived in two separate locations, and still I've had multiple problems with my service at each. I'm disappointed.

Now, I've been looking at Start for a little while, but now that the option for FTTN is up, I can't decide if I'm better off sticking with cable, which is as far as I know, usually FTTN technically anyway, or the dsl service.

Which is generally more reliable? Am I more likely to maintain constant speeds with either?

I've honestly never been a fan of cable internet (for no good reason, really). Coming from New Brunswick, I was always(bar a few short times) with Aliant, be it for dial-up, DSL, and eventually fibre-op (FTTH). Coming to Ontario, the options have been.. sparse. Now with all these problems, I am even less sure about cable.

HELP!

I would probably be purchasing the pro service, be it cable or dsl, and I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, ready to go. (I actually think start added my modem to their list because I asked them about it, so if I go cable it is one less expense, but I'm not worried.)

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

I've always liked Cable as it traditionally offered higher speeds than DSL, and no dry loop fee.
Now with Starts FTTN DSL plans, their is no dry loop fee, and the upload speed is massively higher.

For me, I'd switch from my Start 30/2 Cable (Cogeco) to their 25/10 FTTN in a heartbeat, if it were not for 1 point.
Cogeco, at least in Niagara, broadcasts a whole ton (80+) QAM TV channels unencrypted over their coax. I don't pay for cable TV, but I get all these channels. Channels like TSN, Food network, Much, Slice, etc.. Probably all their basic digital package.
It's not a fluke, it's just how they do it here (had it in old house, moved to new house that never had cable tv and same there).

For for me, that is a massive reason to stay with cable based. If I switch to DSL, Cogeco likely will physically disconnect the cable and I will only get my 15 or so over the air channels.

I have the cable hooked into my media center PC, so we get the whole guide and PVR functions. Only annoying thing is every so often Cogeco moves around a bunch of channels, so I need to rescan and then remap all the channels in the media center.

I don't know how it works in Ottawa, but that may be worth checking.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON

said by GreenEnvy22:

Cogeco, at least in Niagara, broadcasts a whole ton (80+) QAM TV channels unencrypted over their coax. I don't pay for cable TV, but I get all these channels. Channels like TSN, Food network, Much, Slice, etc.. Probably all their basic digital package.
It's not a fluke, it's just how they do it here (had it in old house, moved to new house that never had cable tv and same there).

They're supposed to put a filter on your line to filter out TV. Even then, it'll still let through something like channels 2-7. But if you're only subscribing to Internet when they hook you up, they'll often not bother with the filter.

When I first got cable at my old apartment, they put a filter on. But when someone else moved in and (I assume) got cable, the filter was removed for whatever reason.

In the house we're in now, new cable had to be run from the pole and no filter was put on. Maybe 'cause I chatted up the installer.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

said by cybersaga:

said by GreenEnvy22:

They're supposed to put a filter on your line to filter out TV. Even then, it'll still let through something like channels 2-7. But if you're only subscribing to Internet when they hook you up, they'll often not bother with the filter.

When I first got cable at my old apartment, they put a filter on. But when someone else moved in and (I assume) got cable, the filter was removed for whatever reason.

In the house we're in now, new cable had to be run from the pole and no filter was put on. Maybe 'cause I chatted up the installer.

Filters have no effect when it comes to digital transmission. The only way Cogeco can stop this is to start encrypting the channels, thus requiring a STB.

cybersaga

Welland, ON

said by yyzlhr:

Filters have no effect when it comes to digital transmission. The only way Cogeco can stop this is to start encrypting the channels, thus requiring a STB.

Yeah, sorry, I was talking analog channels. There's a ton of those too, but most of the specialty channels are only digital on Cogeco now.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to GreenEnvy22

said by GreenEnvy22:

Anything in HD, by chance? I know a whole bunch of Cogeco's HD stuff is now SDV, but I'm curious if any of the locals in HD are unencrypted. From what I remember, none were. Then again, back when I last looked there was practically no clear QAM to speak of.

cybersaga

Welland, ON

I think there's TVO in HD. That's about it though, last I checked (about a month ago).

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Bummer. If they at least had the locals I'd be tempted to hook up some coax and take down the rabbit ears.

cybersaga

Welland, ON

Yeah, it's kind of strange/sad that you can get better quality TV from rabbit ears than from cable.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Hollywood Suite is in HD clear QAM, at least right now anyway.