share rss forum feed

bcool
Premium
join:2000-08-25
The Ozarks

4 edits
reply to bcool

Walkout basement doorway leaking

Once again another idea has emerged in an attempt to find an acceptable and permanent fix to leaking entryway in basement.
Home improvement guy thinks (if we are willing) that he could get to brick molding, remove it and work behind there to seal in such a way that it would effectively be "permanently" sealed. Then they would either reinstall existing brick mold to door or bring in new piece to replace the old one. This fix if successful could be done without removing masonry rock.

(I only mention this as an indication that I'm willing to remain open-minded just in case there is a viable alternative to dismantling the masonry rock around the door.)

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

I understand the idea of removing the brick mold, but don't really think a permanent solution could be made that way. Flashing still wouldn't get behind the stone and wrap like it needs to be in order to prevent leaks. It's an interesting idea, but I really don't think it's acceptable in this case.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Actually if you remove the trim you may be able to work flashing behind the felt paper.