Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

"The PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come"

»www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/11/avala···ns_fee=0

said by PCgamer :

Before you reach for your keyboard-shaped axe in fury, know that Avalanche co-founder Linus Blomberg is specifically referring to the next-gen console’s 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. That’s an impressive leap for living-room gaming, especially since DDR5 system RAM isn’t yet available for PCs—;though we believe you can achieve comparable power with less over-the-top hardware. Still, Blomberg’s thoughts in a GamingBolt interview show Sony’s newest baby impressed a number of industry members.

“It’s a perfect fit for the types of games we do, and we’re confident we’ll bring open-world gaming to a whole new level because of it,” Blomberg says. “I’m glad Sony decided to go with 8GB RAM because it means that the PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come.”

A bold claim, but I don’t see it as a rag on the PC—Blomberg might simply be echoing a related remark CD Projekt Red shared last week over the possible shift in platform hierarchy. Like Red, it’s likely Avalanche pledges its allegiance to whichever amalgamation of wires and circuits provides the biggest bang for its open-world Just Cause series. Other developers feel the same way: id’s John Carmack commended Sony’s “wise engineering choices.”

Blomberg’s assessment that most game-playing PCs aren’t packed with 8GB of RAM may be accurate—the closest thing we have to a sample of the PC gaming population, the Steam Hardware Survey, shows nearly 70 percent of participants use less than 8GB.

I thought you guys would get a chuckle or two out of this article. Who new system RAM was so important in gaming?

Pyrion
Liquid Metal Nanomorph

join:2001-12-01
Poway, CA
kudos:1

Re: "The PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come"

said by Ghastlyone:

Who new system RAM was so important in gaming?

Sony certainly didn't, wrt the PS3.
--
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." - Bertrand Russell

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Ghastlyone
The system ram IS important for an APU, which is why they are using ram typically used for video cards--remember the APU uses the same 8GB for both system ram and GPU vram.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
I know.

I just thought it was funny the guy in the article is comparing GDDR5 RAM in the Sony directly to DDR3 RAM in normal gaming PCs.

ohh

join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA
reply to Ghastlyone
Until I can buy console games cheaply from RU, UK and other places.. they can go stuff themselves

Plus Ps4 is doing a lot of download only stuff which already annoys me on the PC... but I'm sure the games will still cost 50+ a pop.

For example I just got the newish DMC game the other day for 15$ works on steam just fine.

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA
reply to Ghastlyone
Could be true, most peoples PCs make me cry a little inside

Wouldent go near my Xeon in comparison of computational power
Doubt it can handle 4k-8k resolutions at 60fps

All hype
--
hmmmmmm....

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Ghastlyone

As we saw with the PS3, however, it can have all the horsepower underneath that they want, but as long as Sony continues making legendarily awful SDK's, it's going to be a hassle to really tap its potential. Microsoft and even Nintendo have learned their lessons and put concerted efforts to make their official SDK's as easy to use as possible.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

I know.

I just thought it was funny the guy in the article is comparing GDDR5 RAM in the Sony directly to DDR3 RAM in normal gaming PCs.

Yea that is a good one, sure the ps4 will use GDDR5, to bad for it I have that too and DDR3 both.

I have to admit though, these makers of consoles really know how to appease to the morons out there.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Who new system RAM was so important in gaming?

Sony fanboys.

By the time that comes out I'll have 16GB ddr3 and 3GB gddr5, they can keep their 8GB shared gddr5. Especially since its higher latency isn't spectacular for cpus.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to Cthen
said by Cthen:

said by Ghastlyone:

I know.

Yea that is a good one, sure the ps4 will use GDDR5, to bad for it I have that too and DDR3 both.

I have to admit though, these makers of consoles really know how to appease to the morons out there.

Agreed.

I think its funny how they are making such a big deal out of this, A 7870 is more powerful and probably only costs half the price.

You could probably CrossFireX 2 7870's and still come out 20-30 dollars cheaper.

Thats not to mention the horrid 1.6 ghz AMD Jaguar APU, a low power chip they are using for a CPU...that CPU is a joke. I bet an Intel I3 Dual core would run circles around that CPU...if anything that CPU will be a bottleneck...i heard the Xbox is going to use something similar...how sad really...

The console makers really are masters of marketing....i'll give them that.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
said by Woody79_00:

r.

Thats not to mention the horrid 1.6 ghz AMD Jaguar APU, a low power chip they are using for a CPU...that CPU is a joke. I bet an Intel I3 Dual core would run circles around that CPU...if anything that CPU will be a bottleneck...i heard the Xbox is going to use something similar...how sad really...

Shh the fanboys will come in spouting "optimization", even though for all the ps3/360's "optimization" they still couldn't beat the 8800 and core 2 duo, which came around the same time as the ps3.

I do have to wonder though, why would they do that if its gonna bottleneck the gpu in it? didn't the 360/sp3 have one thread dedicated to the OS, or maybe it was one for a backup in case one of the other cores died. If this generation does the same thing they won't even have under-powered 8 cores to use just 6 or 7, making it even worse. Plus the whole recording and sharing/streaming will eat up some of the 8GB gddr5. I just don't get what the console makers are doing this gen. Its one thing to save money/put out less expensive products, but making them this under powered? we had cpus stronger than the i3 in '08.

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to Ghastlyone
The 5 year old i3-530 I inherited a few weeks back got an upgrade :

xfx 7850 1GB. Blows my PS3 graphics away and I can play everything at 1920x1080p. That doesn't mean I still don't enjoy the PS3 or the games, I bought the PS3 for the blu-ray and streaming ... plus some titles you can't get on PC.

Consoles can't compete with desktop gaming systems, even ones that are relatively older and have less than 'enthusiast' processors and video cards.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Woody79_00
said by Woody79_00:

I bet an Intel I3 Dual core would run circles around that CPU...if anything that CPU will be a bottleneck...i heard the Xbox is going to use something similar...how sad really...

I have an I3-2100 for my general use computer and it actually benches a tick faster than my older 750 Lynnfield. I really have never understood how any serious gamer is not using a computer. To me I can teach a monkey to push ABAB buttons all day long. I see consoles as something of a gimmick and little else. Master of marketing, indeed.
--
Lost to Marquette during the season so beating them to get into the Final Four would be oh so sweet.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

1 recommendation

I blame the lowest common denominator games/gamers. I mean with a pc you have to learn how to actually be at least a tiny bit competent(aka learn how to install stuff like steam and/or drivers), with consoles you don't have to have any competency with pcs to play games. In this world where people will pay a technical service person >$100 just so they don't have to hook up component cables to the back of a tv themselves, because its too complicated, it shouldn't be a surprise.

And then theres the LCD games(cod and halo). They don't take any real skill on consoles, auto aim out the ass and all. It tricks them in to thinking they have actual skills with all the auto aim head shots, even when the player as aiming at say a leg or whatever and auto aim makes them look better. Every time a modern fps games comes out that doesn't do this and requires genuine skill the 'gamers' bash it as not like cod/halo.

Couple that with, like you say, the marketing(especially of the 360) and you have the crap we do now.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone
Challenge accepted Sony. Bring it on.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Ghastlyone
Sony will wear the powerhouse crown for all of about a month, and then be dethroned again for the next 6 years, just like clockwork.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Doubt it, with the specs we know so far it looks like a 7950 will be a better gpu that what the ps4 will be able to do. Sure it may not be much but still sony wont have a crown this gen.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Ghastlyone
I watched a couple comparison videos just last night and it's pretty clear that the PC handles lighting much better. The PS4 looks very nice though.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Ghastlyone

Silly Sony

They sure like their marketing hype.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

Doubt it, with the specs we know so far it looks like a 7950 will be a better gpu that what the ps4 will be able to do. Sure it may not be much but still sony wont have a crown this gen.

Actually...maybe I should reword what I said.

Sony will probably release a few games that "look" better then PC for the first month or two, then they will quickly be dethroned by PC for years to come.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
And 3d benchmarks (that really push GPUs) already look better than anything the PS5 will ever have.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Silly Sony

They sure like their marketing hype.

And yet the only reason to buy their "initial offering" is because they have an unbelievably glorious track record of ruining and/or neutering their revised offerings, and they will revise like it's a fetish.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Heres you a transcript of a Sony exec meeting after a new system launched.
quote:
Oh ya, just like that
Ya, remove ps1 support, ohh
ah, remove the emotion chip, just like that
oh baby, make it online only
ya, take away 2nd OS support.
do it just like that, hard
oh ya, make it against the EULA to enable anything we've disabled.
Was that good for you?
No but the customers will rage and that'll be fun to watch Oh ya baby.

--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Ghastlyone
Hopefully consoles with more RAM means that bad PC ports will not be as bad.

Some games lack things because due to being developed with the console in mind they had to stick to RAM limits that PCs have not had for 10 years.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Ghastlyone
I'll buy one just for Gran Turismo 6 in hopes it's better than 5 although we all know Forza murders it...