Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

1 recommendation

urbanriot to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash

Re: [WIN7] vs [WIN8]

I think it's pretty much every thread that involves Windows 8.

You have Person A with a problem or a rant, then Person B from Group 1 responds about how much they hate Windows 8 and Person C from Group 2 responds about how stupid Group 1 is and how much they love Windows 8 and everyone debates what they hate / love about it.

What's new / good:
- decent experience with touch (compared to Windows 7)
- improved task manager
- synchronized user data 'in the cloud' between Windows 8 devices
- better file copy / move dialogue boxes
- potentially more secure
- metro apps (if you like them)
- unified messaging system between various platforms (skype, facebook, twitter, etc.)

What's new / bad:
- lousy experience without touch
- no start menu (unless you use hacks)
- arguably ugly interface (compared to Aero)
- no more gadgets for desktop users (unless you use hacks)
- no unified design between metro apps, so you have issues with the default mail / Internet Explorer applet missing an intuitive way to print

What's new / neutral:
- tied into your Windows Live account

In summary I'd be lumped into Group 1 as I hate working on Windows 8 systems. I learned to like Vista a few months after it came out (of course abandoning it when Windows 7 came out) but Windows 8's minor improvements are overshadowed by a badly designed interface which is decent for touch but not at all decent for regular, effecient computing.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

My use of Windows will not include touch. The computer with Windows installed will be a traditional desktop. I will use that computer for software development that will not make use of touch. My desktop computer at work is Windows 7 so keeping that uniform with my home office computer is probably best.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

1 recommendation

Gem

Premium Member

said by drslash:

...computer at work is Windows 7 so keeping that uniform with my home office computer is probably best.

That is correct. I have W7 and purchased W8 on sale to try it. It's okay, but not great, IMO. Hated it until hacks were made to make it look like W7 and also work more like W7. I'd never advise anyone to pay full price for W8 instead of W7.

Then again, if you need a new OS and W8 is $25 while W7 is $200, then it might be worth going to W8 for the savings. Otherwise, on a desktop or a traditional laptop - no way!

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

Woody79_00

Premium Member

Agreed

I forced my self to use Metro for 2 months, and I never did like it. Infact, Metro UI its self is just horrible for multi-tasking. Its just god awful, sure you can use the Win 8 snap feature to resize a background window in metro, but it requires the extra step of moving the mouse to left corner, wait a second, left click the app thumbnail, drag it over, blah...

Metro is terrible for Multi-Tasking....it is a giant step back to about the early 1980s. Even Works for DOS allowed for 3 or 4 things onscreen, and limited repositioning of those windows. Metro struggles to deliver even that....

I agree though...if Win 8 is $25 bucks and 7 is 200 then you probably buy Win 8, install Classic Shell and forget Metro even exists...Classic Shell will even allow you to turn off those annoying hot corners all together so you will never see Metro or that dumb charms bar again...which makes Win 8 about Win 7 - 2.0

however honestly...if your not planning to use touch at all, and are not a big fan of metro, if the cost between Win 7 and Windows 8 is $50 bucks or less...buy Win 7....save yourself a ton of headaches...I only tried Windows 8 because i got a cheap copy on the promotion they offered at launch...no way i'd spend full price on Win 8...for that price your better off buying 7.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
said by drslash:

My use of Windows will not include touch. The computer with Windows installed will be a traditional desktop. I will use that computer for software development that will not make use of touch. My desktop computer at work is Windows 7 so keeping that uniform with my home office computer is probably best.

Then I see no points for you to move from W7 to W8. By this statement you've pretty much answered your own question

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

- synchronized user data 'in the cloud' between Windows 8 devices

I'm not sure why this is the new fashion. I'd prefer to keep my data local. There is enough hardware to not need to store elsewhere on someone's computers for you.

A tablet maybe, but a desktop, certainly not.

Each to their own I guess.
I'll leave it there, I don't want to divert the topic, but that one surprised me as I'd not heard Win 8 had that included.