spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada

[DSL] Can Bell Move You Off FTTN Remotes?

I currently have a 6MB/s connection. If I switch to 15/1 or 25/10 FTTN, can Bell decide to move me from the FTTN remote to a remote that's further away 3-6 months down the road the way they can now?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
When you subscribe to a FTTN tier, you're guaranteed that spot once you have it.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada
Thanks. I wasn't sure if Bell was allowed to pull the same stunts with FTTN.

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

When you subscribe to a FTTN tier, you're guaranteed that spot once you have it.

The why are the FFTN plans still "up to"?
Gas can do 15/1 no problem.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by bjlockie:

The why are the FFTN plans still "up to"?
Gas can do 15/1 no problem.

Because you are still at the mercy of distance and line quality... You can have a remote thats still far enough from you not to be able to get full 15meg, but can do 10 quite nicely and reliably...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
reply to Rastan
from a wiring perspective is there any different between "legacy 6 mbit" and ADSL2+ 15mbit? Aren't they both FTTN, technically, and both using the ATM protocol?

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
said by Cloneman:

from a wiring perspective is there any different between "legacy 6 mbit" and ADSL2+ 15mbit? Aren't they both FTTN, technically, and both using the ATM protocol?

Both are ATM unless you're on a VDSL2 15/10 profile.

Also, you could be plug at the CO or FTTN.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

from a wiring perspective is there any different between "legacy 6 mbit" and ADSL2+ 15mbit?

Legacy = ADSL1 profile and no guarantee that you will be on any sort of remote whatsoever.
FTTN 7/1 = ADSL2+ profile and guarantee that you will be on a remote if one is necessary to get the speed.

ADSL1 uses ~1.2MHz of spectrum for baseband signaling with a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 8Mbps while ADSL2+ uses ~2.2MHz with 24Mbps max theoretical bandwidth.

VDSL2 still uses DMTM signaling and the biggest difference aside from no longer requiring ATM encapsulation is that baseband bandwidth is extended to 8/13/17/30MHz.