how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

johnner1999

join:2008-12-27
Litchfield

DVR+ more hours, any rumors?

just curious if anyone knows if they are upping the limit from 25HD Hours yet? I person at CV said they were in the process but had no details - so I assume BS.

just curious if anyone has heard of this and if yes how much would it increase to?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
I'm sure they will offer the option to purchase additional DVR+ storage space at some point. Have not heard anything specific yet.

johnner1999

join:2008-12-27
Litchfield
thanks...

seems that all national cable operators now have newer whole home DVR options with over 100HD hours of recording. Seems CV is way behind on this... I can't see them charging more for more storage, at that point TiVo would be much much cheaper...

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
They are heavily invested in the current network dvr and still haven't completed the roll out.

I bet if they had to do it all over they would have went with a hardware based home network dvr solution.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
said by dm145:

They are heavily invested in the current network dvr and still haven't completed the roll out.

I bet if they had to do it all over they would have went with a hardware based home network dvr solution.

If you compare their 8300's recording space against that of the 8300HD you would find that the 8300HD has less than half the 8300's recording time when you compare the amount of HD recording time for the HD feed against the same SD feed to the 8300. The size of the Hard Drive in the 8300HD needs to be 4 times the size of the 8300's Hard Drive to get the same amount of recording time. They blew it when they supplied the undersized Hard Drive in the 8300HD.

Due to the compromise of requiring everyone to have their own private space as opposed to the more efficient method of just sharing the same image and just pointing at it, they have to restrict the amount of space that is allocated to a user. If they went the shared route, then the amount of recording time could be much larger since your limit includes the shared space and you only have private space for those shows not on the shared list.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
I have no idea for sure, but I don't think everyone has to have allocated private space with DVR+, just that they have private recordings. The difference is that someone using 50% of the space only is using that much space on their servers.

Storage is cheap, and it's a lot cheaper for CV to operate at (for example) 60% storage capacity on their system than to support every hard drive in a 8300/8300HD box at 60%. I imagine they could relatively cheaply increase the allocated storage space for DVR+ (add additional servers, and monitor if the increase in sales would require additional bandwidth to compensate for more subscribers using), but I also imagine they will want to finish their rollout of DVR+ in all areas.

There haven't been rumors I've seen here, but it seems like a no brainer.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
I thought the whole key to the Cablevision DVR case was the each subscriber did have their own discrete copy of each recording. In essence, its the same as having a DVR in your home, but in this case the hard drive happens to be located on a Cablevision server. Having a pointer to a common copy blows that notion out of the water.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
That is what I said. I just was replying that I didn't see a reason that the space would be allocated permanently to a user when recordings are not present. Upon re-reading, I might have misinterpreted what rapsl was saying with regards to that.

russ6464

join:2013-03-22
reply to johnner1999
The DVR+ should be called DVR+minus. From a DVR evolution perspective it's going backwards in technology.

You can't rewind live video, the lag time in remote control commands is unacceptable due to latency of the CV server responding. Fast forwarding commercials on "recorded" playback is ridiculously frustrating trying to restart close to the program. The rewind button on the remote does not function. These DVR+ boxes are not ready for prime time.

I have 4 DVR+ boxes but I still only have 24 hours of HD across ALL the receivers. The DVR's are just a pool that shares the 24 hours. That sucks. They need to give each box 24 hours and/or activate the esata jack so I can add my own HD. If the charge me extra for any addition storage to this problem I will go to Fios in a heartbeat.

dougef

join:2004-08-27
Wilton, CT
I agree with you 1000%

My old SA DVR has a 1 TB external drive attached. The DVR+ must offer considerable extra storage for me to consider it.

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ
reply to russ6464
said by russ6464:

I have 4 DVR+ boxes but I still only have 24 hours of HD across ALL the receivers. The DVR's are just a pool that shares the 24 hours. That sucks. They need to give each box 24 hours and/or activate the esata jack so I can add my own HD. If the charge me extra for any addition storage to this problem I will go to Fios in a heartbeat.

First off, you don't have 4 DVR+ set top boxes. Every set top box in every home (where DVR+ is available) is a DVR+ box. And as far as 24 hours for each box is just not how it works. It's 24 hours for the account not the how many boxes you have.

russ6464

join:2013-03-22
Well that's NOT what I was sold by the salesperson. I SPECIFICALLY asked for 4 DVRs,these boxes are what I got. I was also told the SA DVRs with a HD are no longer available... they are being phased out. I take that as there will be NO DVR's with HD in the future. However, Optimum agreed to replace one of the DVR+ boxes with a SA box... for another $5 a month.

Coming from DirecTV with 100 hours of HD storage, 24 hours doesn't hack it. I don't have a contract with Optimum so if they don't fix the DVR functions and increase the storage I'll jump ship. Fios gave me the same monthly fee as Optimum, I picked Optimum because of the 70K hotspots but that's not a game changer, if Optimum doesn't improve this DVR service I'm outta here.

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ
said by russ6464:

Well that's NOT what I was sold by the salesperson. I SPECIFICALLY asked for 4 DVRs,these boxes are what I got. I was also told the SA DVRs with a HD are no longer available... they are being phased out. I take that as there will be NO DVR's with HD in the future. However, Optimum agreed to replace one of the DVR+ boxes with a SA box... for another $5 a month.

Coming from DirecTV with 100 hours of HD storage, 24 hours doesn't hack it. I don't have a contract with Optimum so if they don't fix the DVR functions and increase the storage I'll jump ship. Fios gave me the same monthly fee as Optimum, I picked Optimum because of the 70K hotspots but that's not a game changer, if Optimum doesn't improve this DVR service I'm outta here.

So when you specifically asked for 4 DVR's, you had full intentions of paying $43.80 a month just for the DVR service, correct?

Because that what 4 DVR's would cost you.

and you got Optimum after dropping Direct TV just because of the hotspots, and had no idea all about the DVR+ service. I find it hard to believe you.