uniqs
PitCritter
Premium Member
join:2008-06-18
Niagara Falls, ON

PitCritter

Premium Member

Modem Reccomendation EBox 15/1

I just switched from TSI 6/1 to EBox 15/1. I was always happy with TSI, but their pricing including dry loop was out of line. I see that now they've made some adjustments, but the dry loop fee still makes them more expensive.

The switch went flawlessly. I entered my new credentials and rebooted my modem and router the morning of the switch and then I was off an running. The only problem was that my speed wasn't great.

The BELL tech showed up a couple of hours later and told me that my modem was the issue. I was using an old SpeedTouch that had been around since my early Sympatico days. I assumed I'd have to buy one, but the BELL guy actually left me with a 2Wire 2701HG-G.

The issue is that I can't find any way to get into the 2Wire to run it in bridged mode. I already use a Tomato router, so I just want a vanilla modem. There are some suggestions online that offer upgraded firmware for the 2Wire, but none seem to be intact links.

It's interesting that I'm getting good results on my newsgroup downloads. Sab is getting around 1.2-1.4 MB/s. The issue is with speed tests. Speedtest.net is only showing 12.3/0.6.

Could the modem/router be the issue here?

What I'm looking for is a straightforward DSL modem to use in conjunction with my existing router. If it supported 25/10 for future use, that would be a plus.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

You would need a VDSL modem for 15/10 For your current set up just get a tp-link from Canada Computers for like $20.They do ADSL2
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to PitCritter

to PitCritter
Be careful picking up a VDSL modem. Currently only the Sagemcoms are approved for use. If you switch to VDSL anytime soon you'll probably have to buy or rent one.

Give ebox a call before you buy anything would be my advice.

If I were still on ADSL2+ I would have continued to use my SpeedTouch 516. As mentioned, you can probably get a plain ADSL2+ modem for relatively cheap at a computer store, but it won't work with higher speeds.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to PitCritter

to PitCritter
»www.canadacomputers.com/ ··· d=036727
PitCritter
Premium Member
join:2008-06-18
Niagara Falls, ON

PitCritter

Premium Member

Thanks. Got one today at Canada Computers in St. Catharines for $20. I'll report back if it makes any difference