spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Luaper

@teksavvy.com

Cable 18 to Cable 28?

I currently have 18 mbps cable with TekSavvy. If I want to upgrade to Cable 28, what needs to be done?

Does a tech person need to come and flip a switch? or do I just need to call TekSavvy and it's done immediately?

c_gadfly

join:2008-05-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

After your POI moves to aggregated, 28/1 will be considered a grand-fathered plan. Perhaps you would be interested in waiting till the new speeds and new rates take effect for your POI and then do the speed bump (will cost $5 to switch). »[Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Luaper

You're probably better off switching to 25/2 once the migration to APOI is completed.

For a better idea when that will happen check this thread out: »[Cable] ATPIA - Migration Schedule

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
reply to Luaper

I agree on waiting till your area switches to ATPIA. That will upgrade you to 25/2 for only a $5 change fee, monthly fee stays the same. If you switch to 28/1 you'll be paying more per month.
--
Taylor Byrnes

videonerd

join:2007-01-21

1 edit
reply to Luaper

Click for full size
my chart
I have Cable 18 right now too. My options right now is staying the same at:
25/2 for $39.95 w/300GB cap, total $45.14.

OR going DSL for
15/10 for $34.99 w/300GB cap & unlim 2am-5am + $9.10 Band B dryloop, total $49.82

$5/mth more for a lot more upload speed and just 3mb less download than current. If you have TekTalk Unlimited or another POTS provider you also save the dryloop fee. But also factor in the DSL Activation Fee ($50) and modem ($130.) But if you can find someone to swap your modem for a Sagemcom (or other compatible modem,) you're set.

Guys, do I have my math right?

BUT

My parents were on Basic Cable 3 (3/.8) and while grandfathered was annoying switched to 6/.256 profile. The loss of upload speed for VoIP and home automation & monitoring really sucks. So what guarantees do current users have that their speeds won't change for the worse?

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

One thing not in your spreadsheet is a static IP. While cable is basically static DSL is definitely not, so if you're planning to do remote access or monitoring I'd add a $4/month charge to your DSL calculations. Which makes cable a fair bit more attractive.
--
Taylor Byrnes

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
reply to Luaper

Do you have a D3 modem?

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

2 edits

said by bjlockie:

Do you have a D3 modem?

+1. Get the 28/1 now if you're on the D2 tech. Not available after the migration.

That being said, upgrade to D3 for a new $70 modem. Save $7 per month on the 25/2 plan vs 28/1 and you'll break even in a year.

advantage is faster and more reliable speeds. TSI has rent-to-own option

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to Luaper

Hi Luaper,

No tech is needed to do the switch from 18 to 28. It's all done remotely at a $5 fee for a speed change. Like the others have asked though, do you currently have a D2 or a D3 type of modem?

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan
--
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Luaper

@teksavvy.com

I have the Thomson DCM476 D3 modem. So, I guess I'll wait until 25/2 is in my area. How long will that take? a couple of months to get into my area?

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5

Hello Luaper,

Have a look here: »[Cable] ATPIA - Migration Schedule

That link covers the projected schedule for switching to aggregated

Regards,
Keith
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )