spc
uniqs

thewolfman
join:2003-04-03
Niagara Falls, NY

thewolfman to NetFixer

to NetFixer

Re: Vonage and Time Warner Internet

It is the VDV22 device. I called Vonage regarding the issue, and they sent me the new device. I also connected the device to the cable modem with a wired phone and the issue still exists. I think I'll try your other suggestion and take it to my in-law's house and try it.

Time warner says the issue isn't on their end and Vonage say it is on time warner's end, here I am, stuck in the middle(great song!!).

I'm a bit leary now to invest in a different device to handle the VoIP, as I don't know if it will fix the issue. Hate the thought of going back to Verizon POTS.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by thewolfman:

It is the VDV22 device. I called Vonage regarding the issue, and they sent me the new device. I also connected the device to the cable modem with a wired phone and the issue still exists. I think I'll try your other suggestion and take it to my in-law's house and try it.

Time warner says the issue isn't on their end and Vonage say it is on time warner's end, here I am, stuck in the middle(great song!!).

I'm a bit leary now to invest in a different device to handle the VoIP, as I don't know if it will fix the issue. Hate the thought of going back to Verizon POTS.

The finger pointing between the ISP and the VoIP provider is pretty much SOP, no matter who is the ISP or the VoIP provider.

My earlier suggestion of using a different Vonage ATA was strictly intended for the case where you were able to determine that the Vonage box was at fault. I definitely would not invest the time or money on a different Vonage ATA unless I knew for sure that the Vonage ATA was the culprit. In my case, I was able to prove that the VDV-23 was causing my problems because I had a retired RTP300 and a VT2442 to test with. If those old ATAs had not taken up more comm rack space than I had available (and they generated too much heat to allow safe stacking), I would have just used them instead of buying the D-Link VTA-VR boxes (they are even smaller than the VDV-23 and are also safely stackable).

If I had not been able to resolve my Vonage problems, I would probably have switched to Comcast's VoIP product instead of going with AT&T POTS. I recently did try to use only cell phone access, but that did not work out very well as my only telephone service, and I reactivated my Vonage service.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to thewolfman

Premium Member

to thewolfman
FWIW,
I have the VDV22 and have had it for 2 or 3 years now. Haven't had a single issue with it, once Netfixer had me straightened me out on my connection issue at the beginning. That was me mainly being brain dead though!!

Couldn't fathom going back to a POTS line and those absurd bills again so would probably go with Charters VoIP if my Vonage ever screwed up so bad to be unusable.

thewolfman
Niagara Falls, NY

thewolfman

Well, I ordered POTS from verizon today, wife wants a stable phone connection and I can't blame her.

Would TW VoIP be any different? Just wondering because I have a week window to cancel verizon.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by thewolfman:

Well, I ordered POTS from verizon today, wife wants a stable phone connection and I can't blame her.

Would TW VoIP be any different? Just wondering because I have a week window to cancel verizon.

I am not familiar with the TW VoIP offering, but the VoIP from Comcast uses a separate cable channel, and is not linked to their HSI at all, so there is no interaction with Internet usage. Everyone I know who has it is very pleased with both the reliability and sound quality. Maybe you should post your TW VoIP question in this site's »Time Warner Cable TV/Voice forum to get opinions from TW users.

thewolfman
Niagara Falls, NY

thewolfman

Well, I have cancelled the verizon POTS order, and now have time warner coming to install phone service. After talking to quite a few family and friends that have TW phone, I am reasonably certain that it will fix the issue, no way to know for sure until it is hooked up. There is no contract and no install fee, they waived it, so I have nothing to lose.

I'll let you know how the service is after I switch. Thanks for the help!