spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Raman3
join:2010-08-27

1 edit

Raman3

[Wireless] Problem downloading files with Linksys E4200

I have been using my router (Linksys E4200v1) with no problem for the last 6 months, but suddenly in the last couple of weeks the problem started, every time I download a large file (>500 MB) through my router it gets corrupted, however when I download it directly through the modem it download just fine.

I tried to reset the router and used it as a bridge and also tried lowering the MTU but the problem is still there.

BTW if I use wired connection there's no problem downloading at all.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943

You may be getting interference from something or distance from the router.
Get a free program called Inssider. It will show other wireless networks
around you that may be just as strong on the same channel you are using.
Raman3

2 edits

Raman3

I've already done that, and there's nothing interfering.
Raman3

Raman3

I tried downloading using another device and it downloaded fine! so it seems the problem is from my pc! is there a way to fix it?

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

1 recommendation

Bill_MI

MVM

That's a pretty nasty bug. I'd start with checking/reloading wireless drivers on that box.

Something that also comes to mind are any "accelerator" type programs. There's a lot of snake-oil to get on people's systems out there. Always a possibility of malware, too.

On the other hand, is this just one file? Could be browser cache insists on a bad copy repeatedly. Clear cache.

Last, it wouldn't be the first time some content distribution system like Akamai had a bad copy of something floating out there. That 1 PC could be getting it repeatably.
Raman3

Raman3

I just tried using my friend usb wireless adapter on my pc and the problem is still there! so the problem isn't from my adapter.
Raman3

Raman3 to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
No, it isn't just one file, most large files has the same problem.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Interesting. It's pretty hard for a TCP connection to get corrupted data. What exact method of downloading?

I'm thinking of a file size limit around 512MB is getting hit. The corrupt files may have exactly the same truncated size in bytes. Does it follow disk formats by chance?
Raman3

Raman3

It happens with direct downloads and usenet, while torrents dowloads fine.

And this happens mostly to rar/zip, exe and iso files.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Do they corrupt the exact same way? For example, are all corrupted files the exact same file size? That 500MB seems to be a big clue.

I recall such problems with A/V, too, but that was ages ago.

I can't think of a plausible scenario that could include the router. Yet, some are doing strange non-router things these day.
Raman3

Raman3

Well, I just formatted my OS and the problem got solved, thanks guys.