Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CharlieB

join:2013-03-11
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Re: MODEM - Options

I see hookbag has some zyxel VSG1432s for $112. They're known to work with teksavvy, but perhaps only in western Canada. I see other reports that Zyxel modems might/should/do work with 7330s here in Bell land.

»www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C06RM54···97-zyxel

»Zyxel VSG1432-B101 Modem

tmp

@ibm.com
reply to TSI Jonathan
I'm waiting for a good modem before upgrading from DSL 15/1 to 25/10.

CharlieB

join:2013-03-11
Ottawa, ON
reply to CharlieB

ltpenguin

join:2013-03-27
reply to TSI Marc
How come the SB6121 from Motorola won't be supported on the upcoming 150/10 Rogers lines? It is spec'd for 160 down

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by ltpenguin:

How come the SB6121 from Motorola won't be supported on the upcoming 150/10 Rogers lines? It is spec'd for 160 down

For the same reasons the SB5101N or Thompson/RCA DCM425 won't be supported on anything 25/2 and up. The required bandwidth per channel is way too close to the max. It will likely cause you to not get the speed you'd want and could cause congestion for your neighbours on cable internet as well.

ZombieBanner

join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON
reply to ltpenguin
said by ltpenguin:

Its the same reason the Docsis 2 isn't allowed on the 28/1. Theoretically it can handle it, but in practice it doesn't do it well.

Each Channel is 38 Mbs, so a SB6121 has 4 channels 152 Mbps max, so technically they can reach the speeds, but no one else in those 4 channels would get any bandwidth at all.

You'd make people sad Pandas, and no one likes a Sad Panda.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to ltpenguin
said by ltpenguin:

It sounds like it will be accepted, on a case by case basis, and only if you ask really nicely and explain that you completely understand that you won't really see 150mbit/s half the time and you promise to never complain. Or something like that..

It isn't recommended though.
--
electronicsguru.ca

ltpenguin

join:2013-03-27
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc
Thank you all i will just go for the 45/4 or what ever it is i'm sure it will be enough just not the best

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
It's too bad that Rogers went straight from 75 to 150... They should have just kept that 75 tier as an intermediate, the SB6120's would work great on that.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by HiVolt:

It's too bad that Rogers went straight from 75 to 150... They should have just kept that 75 tier as an intermediate, the SB6120's would work great on that.

Ya 75/5 or 75/7 would have been nice. That's what the 45/4 tier should've been. 35/3 and 45/4 are so close to each other speed wise.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

For the same reasons the SB5101N or Thompson/RCA DCM425 won't be supported on anything 25/2 and up.

Even trying with 25/2 is a bad idea and users trying are the pricks on the network.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Even bumping up to 100 would have been fine. But Rogers would rather try to sell the faster tier at a ridiculous mark up to a tiny portion of the user base instead of not so fast at a reasonable rate to a much larger portion of the user base. But then again that would just expose the fact that DOCSIS can't handle the load (oh my bad).

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

The tiers are obviously completely manipulated for marketing purposes--pretty gross really. However, the biggest problem in the lineup is the gaping hole between 6 and 25, along with the abysmal upload speed on 6.

How about:
6/512
12/1
25/2
50/4
100/10
--
electronicsguru.ca

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada

1 edit
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by NBomb:

Is there any way to know (without having a modem) what kind of stinger/remote/etc I'd be put on?

You won't know for sure until the service is hooked up unless your area has been upgraded after Bell stopped rolling out IKNS gear.

If you see lots of JWIs with boxes tacked their sides/rear, you likely are in a stinger area.

If you know where your jwi/opi is, if the backpack has notched corners its lucent. If the backpack has square corners its an alcatel

edit: it's probably worth noting that some jwi/opi's will have 2 back-packs / side packs. and it's not uncommon to have a lucent and alcatel pack on the same opi/jwi

--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON
said by urbang33k:

said by InvalidError:

said by NBomb:

Is there any way to know (without having a modem) what kind of stinger/remote/etc I'd be put on?

You won't know for sure until the service is hooked up unless your area has been upgraded after Bell stopped rolling out IKNS gear.

If you see lots of JWIs with boxes tacked their sides/rear, you likely are in a stinger area.

If you know where your jwi/opi is, if the backpack has notched corners its lucent. If the backpack has square corners its an alcatel

Okay. So maybe 100m away from my house in the field, there's a brown box with... two legs under it. It's maybe 2-3m wide? I've seen inside this, it's where all the pairs are terminated. The tech when I got my original 5meg DSL let me watch him work.

Off the left side there's like an add-on box, and then maybe a meter away to the left of that, not attached, is another smaller brown box that looks like a stand-alone version of the attached add-on box. They both have 45-degree top corners, many vents, and I can hear fans operating inside and circulating air. Never seen inside these.

urbang33k

Canada
sounds like lucent to me. of course, without seeing it I cant say with any degree of certainty

NBomb

Etobicoke, ON

urbang33k

Canada
reply to TSI Marc
lucent oslam (stinger)

not alcatel 7330

edit: nice graffiti

the cellpipe modem (with correct firmware) and sagemcom modem will both work here.

edit 2: in response to NBomb's pictures

smartel

join:2008-05-31
Brossard, QC
What would an "alcatel 7330" looks like? Can you point us to a picture?

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
said by smartel:

What would an "alcatel 7330" looks like? Can you point us to a picture?

NBomb

Etobicoke, ON
So what are some possible options for modems here?

Zyxel? Actiontec?

smartel

Brossard, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to xsbell
Click for full size
So, is there both a stinger and a 7330 in that picture?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
it's a bit disturbing that there isn't some concrete barrier around it to prevent a truck or car from smashing it by accident.

xsbell

Canada
reply to NBomb
Any of those, including the Huawei HG610, Techicolor TG789vn, and probably the Comtrend CT-5372 too. Just be aware that if you get an Actiontec or Zyxel which was used on Telus' network, it'll be locked down.

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to smartel
said by smartel:

No, just two Stinger CRs.

urbang33k

Canada

1 edit
said by xsbell:

said by smartel:

No, just two Stinger CRs.

actually i think your mistaken
the pack on the far side of the cabinet looks like an alcatel unit

edit: the picture is a little blury though. a sharper front profile shot would be ideal to say for sure
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

smartel

Brossard, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Good enough?

urbang33k

Canada

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc
Ya the one on the right in the picture looks like an alcatel unit to me.

Honestly I'm going purely by the shape of the top corners. Out in my neck of the woods that is Bell territory, it's how we as techs quickly identify the type of equipment were working on.

edit: it doesn't look exactly the same as the one usuckbell posted a picture of. it looks a bit smaller. it could be a Alcatel VSEM .

vsem: »www3.alcatel-lucent.com/products···dex.html

--

smartel

Brossard, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to xsbell
said by xsbell:

Any of those, including the Huawei HG610, Techicolor TG789vn, and probably the Comtrend CT-5372 too. Just be aware that if you get an Actiontec or Zyxel which was used on Telus' network, it'll be locked down.

I was under the impression that there where some compatibility problems on VDSL2 with Stinger and modems that uses Broadcom chips?

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by smartel:

said by xsbell:

I was under the impression that there where some compatibility problems on VDSL2 with Stinger and modems that uses Broadcom chips?

Correct, right now you're only option for a modem if you're on a Stinger remote is the one Bell supplies.

With the 7330 remotes it appears there's a range of modems you can choose from.

Although its moot point right now, it's unclear if Bell will allow BYOM that isn't a Sagemcom right now. The activation of a VDSL2 service might be tied a Sagemcom modem. So if you found out you're on a 7330 remote, and wanted to use another modem, you might still be forced to either rent or buy a Sagemcom to activate the VDSL2 line.

No one from TSI or Bell has given a concrete answer to this yet.

Comments have been sent to the CRTC regarding exactly this: »CRTC 2013-80 Optional Upstream Speeds, DSL Modem Cert