Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON
reply to xsbell

Re: MODEM - Options

So what are some possible options for modems here?

Zyxel? Actiontec?

smartel

join:2008-05-31
Brossard, QC
reply to xsbell
Click for full size
So, is there both a stinger and a 7330 in that picture?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
it's a bit disturbing that there isn't some concrete barrier around it to prevent a truck or car from smashing it by accident.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:9
reply to NBomb
Any of those, including the Huawei HG610, Techicolor TG789vn, and probably the Comtrend CT-5372 too. Just be aware that if you get an Actiontec or Zyxel which was used on Telus' network, it'll be locked down.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to smartel
said by smartel:

No, just two Stinger CRs.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1

1 edit
said by xsbell:

said by smartel:

No, just two Stinger CRs.

actually i think your mistaken
the pack on the far side of the cabinet looks like an alcatel unit

edit: the picture is a little blury though. a sharper front profile shot would be ideal to say for sure
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

smartel

Brossard, QC
Good enough?

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc
Ya the one on the right in the picture looks like an alcatel unit to me.

Honestly I'm going purely by the shape of the top corners. Out in my neck of the woods that is Bell territory, it's how we as techs quickly identify the type of equipment were working on.

edit: it doesn't look exactly the same as the one usuckbell posted a picture of. it looks a bit smaller. it could be a Alcatel VSEM .

vsem: »www3.alcatel-lucent.com/products ··· dex.html

--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

smartel

Brossard, QC
reply to xsbell
said by xsbell:

Any of those, including the Huawei HG610, Techicolor TG789vn, and probably the Comtrend CT-5372 too. Just be aware that if you get an Actiontec or Zyxel which was used on Telus' network, it'll be locked down.

I was under the impression that there where some compatibility problems on VDSL2 with Stinger and modems that uses Broadcom chips?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by smartel:

said by xsbell:

I was under the impression that there where some compatibility problems on VDSL2 with Stinger and modems that uses Broadcom chips?

Correct, right now you're only option for a modem if you're on a Stinger remote is the one Bell supplies.

With the 7330 remotes it appears there's a range of modems you can choose from.

Although its moot point right now, it's unclear if Bell will allow BYOM that isn't a Sagemcom right now. The activation of a VDSL2 service might be tied a Sagemcom modem. So if you found out you're on a 7330 remote, and wanted to use another modem, you might still be forced to either rent or buy a Sagemcom to activate the VDSL2 line.

No one from TSI or Bell has given a concrete answer to this yet.

Comments have been sent to the CRTC regarding exactly this: »CRTC 2013-80 Optional Upstream Speeds, DSL Modem Cert

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

3 edits
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by TypeS:

For the same reasons the SB5101N or Thompson/RCA DCM425 won't be supported on anything 25/2 and up.

Even trying with 25/2 is a bad idea and users trying are the pricks on the network.

And most of these D2 modem users don't even REALIZE what a problem they are likely causing to other users, in regard to congestion.

Others will parrot : "Well the D2 spec sheet says my modem is good up to xyz Mbps...."

A few, however, know perfectly well the behaviour flaws of D2 modems, use them anyway, and don't give a damn about anyone else.

videonerd

join:2007-01-21
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

For the same reasons the SB5101N or Thompson/RCA DCM425 won't be supported on anything 25/2 and up. The required bandwidth per channel is way too close to the max. It will likely cause you to not get the speed you'd want and could cause congestion for your neighbours on cable internet as well.

I've described it to a friend as... driving on the 401 with an old slow car. Yes it's possible and it may eventually get up to highway speeds but its not very efficient, and in the left lane you'll probably get an angry conga line of drivers behind you... so better to NOT do it.

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
reply to TSI Marc
hope the BYOM is finalised this week!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to videonerd
said by videonerd:

said by TypeS:

....It will likely cause you to not get the speed you'd want and could cause congestion for your neighbours on cable internet as well.

I've described it to a friend as... driving on the 401 with an old slow car. Yes it's possible and it may eventually get up to highway speeds but its not very efficient, and in the left lane you'll probably get an angry conga line of drivers behind you... so better to NOT do it.

Good analogy !

Poser

join:2002-07-28
reply to TSI Marc
Cmon Teksavvy. Give me some modem options. I'm ready to get some decent upload speeds!

videonerd

join:2007-01-21
reply to TSI Marc
From another thread here on DSLR, in a filing by CNOC to the CRTC:
»/r0/download/2 ··· 3-80.pdf

22 - The Bell companies have advised that wholesale firmware would be available in the first quarter of 2013, but to date no such firmware has been made available. The retail firmware contained in the modem is very limited in its features.

23 - The Bell companies track the serial numbers of all purchased modems and do not allow a new end-user order to be placed without the inclusion of a modem serial number.

29 - The problem is that Type B DSLAM line cards are technically deficient. The Bell companies appear to be reluctant to fix them, and so they prefer to use custom made VDSL modems to "hide" the problem, although even that is not working all that well. As a result, wholesale customers have been forced to obtain custom modems from Bell on a sole sourced and non-regulated basis.

»forums.redflagdeals.com/vianet-f ··· 1321721/

Sounds like Vianet is starting to offer BOYM...

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Heh, unless Vianet has access to some Bell database that tells them where Stingers and 7330s are deployed, I can already see the huge can of worms they just opened on themselves. I believe it was mentioned you won't know if you're on a Stinger or 7330 until you actually have the service. Someone signs for Vianet VDSL2, buys a Hauwei or Zyxel, they find on they're on a Stinger on activation day and then that shiny brand new modem they bought is a paper weight.

I think they jumped the gun too soon on this.

reply to TSI Marc
Any news on the modem purchase option ?

thanks

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
reply to TSI Marc
bump?

kragop

join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Marc
I'm waiting in suspense too. I'm ready to put in the order once the announcement is made.

Marc did say there was an ETA of 1-2 weeks, and considering the first post was made on March 22, 2013- an announcement should be made soon. I hope.

Jonathan987

join:2006-03-17
North York, ON
reply to TypeS
great reply TypeS; is there a way of knowing what type of remote you will be on without first going out to find it in your neighbourhood?

what modems do you recommend and why assuming that BYOM goes through?

metooooo

@sunwave.com.br
reply to TSI Marc
Just adding my support too. I'm ready to order 50/10 but I need a modem that functions in bridge mode for my network configuration.

s0dhi

join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON
reply to TSI Marc
+1 for me...

I'm already on 50/10 using my own Zyxel but have been throwing away rental fees for the last year.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Jonathan987
said by Jonathan987:

great reply TypeS; is there a way of knowing what type of remote you will be on without first going out to find it in your neighbourhood?

what modems do you recommend and why assuming that BYOM goes through?

From what others have posted, the only way to be 100% sure what remote you're on is once you have a VDSL service active and TekSavvy pulls your line stats. Apparently you can tell by the outside chassis holding the remote equipment if you find it, although I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.

If you're on a 7330 Remote, these are the modems by consensus:

ZyXEL VSG1432
ZyXEL Prestige 870H-51A v2
Hauwei HG610
Actiontec (Not sure what model numbers, I don't think any were ever posted, but they have a few).

I think BYOM is in the air at the momment. Velcom is started offering BYOM (but that doesn't make the Stinger vs 7330 problem go away), Start has stated they are working to get a separate modem certified (no more details given) and TekSavvy has said you will be able to buyout a Bell modem and they're working on BYOM. As I understand it, right now Bell ties VDSL2 service to a Sagemcom or Cellpipe modem serial number. Maybe Marc's haggling Bell to allow BYOM, who knows. So I would hold off on investing in a modem, renting a Sagemcom is the safe way to go for now.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
the Sagemcom serial isn't actually tied to the service I believe, it's just that Bell registers the serial in their DB and refuses to turn up service without it right now.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Apparently you can tell by the outside chassis holding the remote equipment if you find it, although I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.

The physical cabinet is of little help in cases like the earlier photograph that shows a probable 7330 + stinger setup.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by InvalidError:

said by TypeS:

Apparently you can tell by the outside chassis holding the remote equipment if you find it, although I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.

The physical cabinet is of little help in cases like the earlier photograph that shows a probable 7330 + stinger setup.

Yeah, that's why I said I wouldn't the physical cabinet as any kind of guarantee what type of remote a person can be on. Renting the first month is probably the best option so a person can find out what remote they're on and troubleshoot any issues before going the BYOM route.

poser2

@teksavvy.com
Update on modem purchase???

twinge

join:2012-10-02
reply to TSI Marc
I just thought I would throw out there that I am, unfortunately, on a Lucent Stinger OSLAM and I am using my own modem. I have a Sagemcom that I had to rent but it would choke out if I opened too many TCP or UDP connections and give the "Sync no Surf" problem referenced in other threads here on DSL Reports. The Sagemcom does not really do bridged mode. I was able to log into the modems *nix shell and run top while the modem was running and the CPU usage would go up the more connections I had open. With just one connection open maxing out my 25/10 connection the CPU usage was low. However, if I saturated my connection with many smaller connections like a typical BitTorrent connection would do, top would show 100% CPU usage and eventually the modem would first stop allowing new connections then start dropping packets. As a result I bought myself a ZyXEL P870M-I1-V2 which is a VDSL bridge. Since it is just a bridge it means I have to set the VLAN ID myself with my router to 35 or else I will get no connection at all (I use a Cisco ASA but you can use many Tomato compatible routers as well). The other catch is with this modem you get the same upstream sync issue with the Stinger OSLAMs as you get on these with a ADSL2+ modem, you will not likely sync at your full upstream rate. As an example below you will see my line stats, taken about 10-20 minutes apart, with the Zyxel and then the Sagecomm:

GAS: 416-XXX-XXXX - In Service
Last State Change: 11/27 17:57:44 (Uptime: 16680)
Line Profile: V26944-20032_11328-2048_00011
DLM State: DISABLED | Equip. Type: OSLAM
Sync Rate: d26936.0/u6416.0 kbps
RCO: d37.0/u88.0%
Noise Margin: d30.0/u6.0 dB
Power: d14.0/u-21.0 dB
Attenuation: d19.0/u15.0 dB (Approx. Distance: 1.38~1.89km)
Block Count: d11612.0/u2442.0

GAS: 416-XXX-XXXX - In Service
Last State Change: 11/27 23:06:27 (Uptime: 2160)
Line Profile: V26944-20032_11328-2048_00011
DLM State: DISABLED | Equip. Type: OSLAM
Sync Rate: d26936.0/u11320.0 kbps
RCO: d38.0/u83.0%
Noise Margin: d28.0/u8.0 dB
Power: d14.0/u-13.0 dB
Attenuation: d18.0/u16.0 dB (Approx. Distance: 1.3~1.89km)
Block Count: d201.0/u225.0

Note that the RCO actually goes down when the upstream sync rate increases from 6416 to 113200. The well known issue with ADSL2+ modems not being able to obtain a full 1096kbs upstream sync on Lucent Stinger OSLAMs and often syncing at a max of 824kbs seems to also happen with VDSL2 as well.

I find this highly annoying as I went to VDSL2 for the upstream rate. I don't need 25mbps down, to be honest I'd be happy with a symmetric 10mbps link. But since the Sagemcom is highly unstable this was my only choice. The Zyxel P870M-I1-V2, while not giving me my full upstream rate, is at least stable. It has yet to loose sync once or require a single reboot since I started using it at the end of November 2012. The Sagemcomm I never ran long enough to gauge how well it kept sync but it required nearly hourly reboots.

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a non-bell modem that will give a proper upstream sync on a Stinger? I am tempted to try to run over the OSLAM on my street in hopes they will replace it with a 7330 (joking of course but just barely).

Twinge

TypeS

London, ON
Do you know of anywhere that still has stock of the P870M-I1-V2? To my knowledge that modem is no longer in production by ZyXEL, so finding one is pretty tough.