Poser to TypeS

to TypeS

Re: MODEM - Options

Cmon! I want 10mbps uploadddd!
twinge
join:2012-10-02

twinge to TypeS

to TypeS
I bought it online. Had to special order it because of it's age so it was quite expensive, about $250cndn with shipping and duties iirc. When I am able I will try to find the invoice so I can let you know the place.

Twinge
Jonathan987
join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

Jonathan987 to twinge

to twinge
many thanks for this post; it's quite detailed. So you are saying that the Zyxel P870M-I1-V2 is just as good as the ones which TypeS recommended? Here was his list again:
ZyXEL VSG1432
ZyXEL Prestige 870H-51A v2
Hauwei HG610
Actiontec (Not sure what model numbers, I don't think any were ever posted, but they have a few).

So if you are on the Stinger OSLAM then there really isn't a modem that like the Sagemcom that will give you the full uplink sync, but also be stable like the Zyxel that you are using?
Jonathan987

Jonathan987 to TypeS

to TypeS
thanks for your reply TypeS, yeah it'd be nice to see the BYOM become legit without having to rent.
I've tried searching for the ZyXEL P870M-I1-V2 to no avail; it would be nice to have a unit that is simply a bridge without all the extra ports and wifi, etc.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to Jonathan987

to Jonathan987
said by Jonathan987:

many thanks for this post; it's quite detailed. So you are saying that the Zyxel P870M-I1-V2 is just as good as the ones which TypeS recommended?

That ZyXEL will probably only work on Stingers.

ZyXEL VSG1432 (BCM6368)
ZyXEL Prestige 870H-51A v2 (BCM6368)
Hauwei HG610 (BCM6368)
Actiontec Q1000/V1000 (BCM6368)
Zyxel P870M-I1-V2 (Ikanos ?)

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

»I would love to see the sagemcom fast 3784 get approved

The sagemcom f@st 3784 is an ikanos chip based multi-mode modem, wonder how it preforms on the troublesome Bell Stingers.

I think it's either a vx-160 (vdsl patched) or vx-180 chip. And I believe the 2864's are vx-180's.
twinge

twinge to Jonathan987

to Jonathan987
Hello Jonathan987,

I was unable to find a modem that would sync with a Stinger and sync at full upstream speed. I think most Ikanos based modems will sync with a Stinger but I do not know if the full upstream sync comes from it being the correct Ikanos chipset or from some funny thing's Bell has done to the firmware on the modem. I know the Ikanos chipset in the Sagemcom is a generation or two ahead of the Zyxel I bought. I tried to find a modem with the same chipset as the Sagemcom but came up empty.

Hello Usuckbell,

Actually I think the Zyxel P870M-I1-V2 will work on both the Stingers and the 7330's. Anything that conforms to ITU-T G.993.2 should work on the 7330's and the Zyxel P870M-I1-V2 does conform to this standard. Of course I would test before going and telling this to people as I wouldn't want anyone purchasing a useless modem. I think generally modems that will work on a Stinger should also work on a 7330.

Twinge
theredmoose
join:2009-02-18
Toronto, ON

theredmoose to ZombieBanner

to ZombieBanner
Does anyone have a link to where Teksavvy explains which of their approved models are also approved for the upcoming 150/10 ?

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

said by theredmoose:

Does anyone have a link to where Teksavvy explains which of their approved models are also approved for the upcoming 150/10 ?

They are recommending the DCM476 for that tier on Robbers.

GoTek
@rogers.com

GoTek

Anon

Any Modem updates yet?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Not yet. We haven't forgotten about it
pc8888
join:2011-05-31
estonia

pc8888

Would be nice there is a modem for VDSL that support naive bridge mode.

I know I might be the 0.0005% of all the users, but just want to say that there is no point to purchase this sagemcom modem because the "bridge" mode can only do 300KB sustained.
mjfrazer
join:2009-01-08
Toronto, ON

mjfrazer

It would be nice to have a modem that can NAT at 10Mbps too. Downloading a torrent with more than a few peers is a sure-fire way for me to lock up my modem.

My Tek-supplied stats show I am on an OSLAM, so my reading of the situation is that I am out of luck with any other modem for now.

Perhaps enough Bell customers will complain and we'll get some new firmware soon.

Poser
join:2002-07-28

Poser

said by mjfrazer:

Perhaps enough Bell customers will complain and we'll get some new firmware soon.

Not likely, but we can only hope!

I can't wait any longer for the modem issue to be figured out. I'm going to get 9 more cable lines in the house to get my 10mbps!!!

=(
twinge

twinge to mjfrazer

to mjfrazer
That is pretty much what I experienced. Anything but light web browsing would cause the modem to lock up when using the Sagemcom's "bridged" mode. Using the modem in NAT mode was even worse. The drop in upload speed from swapping to the Zyxel from the Sagemcom is annoying to say the least but it was my only choice since I am on a Stinger OSLAM. Last I checked (about 3 weeks ago), my modem has been synced for over 3 months and has never required a reboot. That is pretty stable imo .

Twinge
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00

»forum.kitz.co.uk/index.p ··· =11470.0

looking up other possible modems, what Ikanos chipset are in the ones bell uses?

this link above list two kinds.
twinge

twinge

The Sagemcomm is a FXS60IF1 which is part of the VX180 chipset. The other one mentioned as being used in the 2wire modems is likely the FXS50IF1 that is in my Zyxel and was part of the FX100100S chipset from back in 2006 or so. As per my posts above the FXS50IF1 syncs reliably with the Stinger OSLAMS, just exhibits the upstream bug that you seen on the same DSLAMs with ADSL2+.

I tried for many months to find one of the D-Link modems but they were only ever sold in mainland China and the republic.

Twinge
mjfrazer
Toronto, ON

mjfrazer to twinge

to twinge
Googling about a bit, I found this discussion searching on Ikanos ikf6850: »forum.kitz.co.uk/index.p ··· =11659.0

Seems that the only two modems using the same chipset as the Sagemcom are the Fritz!Box 3370 and a couple of D-Link modems distributed solely in Asia. The Fritz!box reviews here do not seem promising: »www.cnet.com.au/avm-frit ··· 3956.htm

So, it looks like we are left waiting for a firmware update from Sagemcom unless someone at tek can order up a case of the d-link modems.
mjfrazer

mjfrazer to Poser

to Poser
According to this »Bell Canada Fibe25/10 can ping but cannot browse frequently Bell thread, a profile change will fix things up. Now, since we are not on FibeTV, I don't know what profile to ask for from TSI.

Anyone have an idea?
twinge

twinge to mjfrazer

to mjfrazer
Since the D-Link modems seem to be non-existent anywhere outside Asia the Fritzbox seems to be the only other alternative. I have already spent about $250 on my Zyxel so I am not eager to buy the Fritzbox not knowing if it will increase my upload from ~7megs to 10 megs. It is a really expensive modem with a lot of bells and whistles I would never use. The best price I found was just under 200 pounds in the UK. With shipping and duties it could exceed $300 to get it here to Canada.

Anyone at Teksavvy think they could contact D-Link to inquire about getting a small number of D-Link DSL-6641K modems to test with? Since they use the same VX180 chipset as the Sagemcom I would be willing to bet there is a decent chance they will work properly on both Lucent Stinger and Alcatel 7330 remotes.

Twinge
twinge

twinge to mjfrazer

to mjfrazer
I was told by Teksavvy's support in the direct form that profile V26944-20032_11328-2048_66211 is available. I do not remember if it was tried or not during the troubleshooting process. I have my doubts that it really fixes the issue since I am fairly certain it is a software issue with the Sagemcom modem but I could be wrong.

Twinge

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

The interleave profile does work... I think it slows down the packet flow just enough that helps whatever causes the sagemcom to freak out.

itsgone
@sunwave.com.br

itsgone to twinge

Anon

to twinge
said by twinge:

D-Link to inquire about getting a small number of D-Link DSL-6641K modems to test with?

I think the 6641 is discontinued »www.dlinktw.com.tw/produ ··· ?pid=629 google translate say the red text is "This product discontinuation!"
mjfrazer
Toronto, ON

mjfrazer to twinge

to twinge
I am currently set up as:

Line Profile: V26944-20032_11328-2048_00011
DLM State: DISABLED | Equip. Type: OSLAM
Sync Rate: d26936.0/u11320.0 kbps
RCO: d43.0/u77.0%
Noise Margin: d23.0/u9.0 dB
Power: d14.0/u-16.0 dB
Attenuation: d14.0/u12.0 dB (Approx. Distance: 1.01~1.44km)

With pings yielding:

--- dns.pppoe.ca ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 6.130/6.836/9.468/0.404 ms

I will give the new profile a whirl and report the increased latency.

infamouskid
join:2007-01-24
White Rock, BC

infamouskid to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
what hardware does ATT use down south for their U-verse VDSL service?
cant we use the same hardware as them?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 edit

HiVolt

Premium Member

AT&T's 3600HGV & 3800HGV models appear to use Ikanos chipsets, but who knows how butchered their firmware is, and whether it can be programmed to work with Bell's VDSL here... namely the VLAN ID...

cerealnumber
@ecatel.net

cerealnumber to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
Marc/Andre/anyone from TSI

Bell told the CRTC today in their filing last sentence of paragraph 12 serial numbers aren't needed when using non bell modems. Since it's in writing now I'm ready to order 50/10 with my own modem if you want a guineapig to try leaving it blank or putting in a non sagemcom serial. I promise I won't complain if there are any delays because of it.
s0dhi
join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON

s0dhi

said by cerealnumber :

Marc/Andre/anyone from TSI

Bell told the CRTC today in their filing last sentence of paragraph 12 serial numbers aren't needed when using non bell modems. Since it's in writing now I'm ready to order 50/10 with my own modem if you want a guineapig to try leaving it blank or putting in a non sagemcom serial. I promise I won't complain if there are any delays because of it.

+1 for me... already using the 50/10 with my own modem. Time to ditch that rental fee.
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

simsin0 to cerealnumber

to cerealnumber
if this is the case im willing to beta test aswell with any modem!
t3st3r
join:2010-01-26
Toronto, ON

t3st3r to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I've found a way to get the Sagemcom 2864 into bridge mode without the performance loss of PPPoE forwarding (see here »Re: [DSL] bridge mode on Sagemcom f@st2864. )

So I guess that could be an option when Teksavvy is able to sell them. Personally, I'm probably just going to buy mine out once the option is offered, unless a much better modem is available.