Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to aereolis

Premium Member

to aereolis

Re: MODEM - Options

Sagem Communication was the original name for what is known as SAGEMCOM (Although still called 'Sagem Communication' at times) . It was part of the SAGEM (a major French company involved in defence electronics, consumer electronics and communication systems).

SAGEM (Société d’Applications Générales de l’Électricité et de la Mécanique, translated to Company of General Applications of Electricity and Mechanics)
NBomb
join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON

NBomb to Edward_K

to Edward_K
said by Edward_K:

said by TypeS:

Ed_K from Tosho?

Seems rocca over @ Start is working on a modem for VDSL that isn't Bell's Sagemcom. Perhaps the people wanting to BYOM should wait and see what they come up with. They'll release the make and model and then go find what e-tailer sells it. Or just buy it off Start.

»Higher speed DSL packages (and promo)

Stranger things have happened...

Will wait a bit, but I do want to support Teksavvy.

Wow Ed, fancy seeing you here! Been a while.

On topic - this whole modem mess is kind of distracting, and I don't expect the CRTC interventions to take effect before I'd want to switch my service, so I do hope Start figures out something here.

Is there any way to know (without having a modem) what kind of stinger/remote/etc I'd be put on?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by NBomb:

Is there any way to know (without having a modem) what kind of stinger/remote/etc I'd be put on?

You won't know for sure until the service is hooked up unless your area has been upgraded after Bell stopped rolling out IKNS gear.

If you see lots of JWIs with boxes tacked their sides/rear, you likely are in a stinger area.
Gruesome
join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON

Gruesome to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Just curious, does anyone know if the sagemcom is the same modem bell uses for its business Internet?
I'm seriously concerned about the pass through issue with the amount of networking I have on my side. I have 2 NASs, 3 PCs, 1server, 1laptop and about 5 wireless devices not to mention gaming and media systems.
The sagemcom doesn't sound like a device I want to rely on.
Ares45
Premium Member
join:2007-11-14

Ares45

Premium Member

said by Gruesome:

Just curious, does anyone know if the sagemcom is the same modem bell uses for its business Internet?
I'm seriously concerned about the pass through issue with the amount of networking I have on my side. I have 2 NASs, 3 PCs, 1server, 1laptop and about 5 wireless devices not to mention gaming and media systems.

Yep. Same modem, same firmware.
mario9999998
join:2000-08-25
Canada

mario9999998 to Gruesome

to Gruesome
said by Gruesome:

It's the same modem. The SKU/model are the same. I compared the modem I was shipped for my recent 25/10 Teksavvy order, and another modem I received for 25/7 Bell business service (ordered less than a year ago).
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

simsin0 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
bump Hoping that the changes for the modem are released soon!

I want to jump on 50/10!

Go TEK

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
join:2011-08-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Jonathan

Premium Member

As per Marc in the following thread, first post, last sentence.

»Lots going on today

It is still being looked into and he is hoping to have more information on it next week.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
Jonathan987
join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

Jonathan987 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
any word on this yet Marc? It would be nice if we weren't locked to Bhell modems...
CharlieB
join:2013-03-11
Ottawa, ON

CharlieB to Edward_K

to Edward_K

Will wait a bit, but I do want to support Teksavvy.

+1. Really want to own the modem, but I was connected yesterday 25/10 (yay!), and really hate the Sagemcom modem. Please, please, please find something better you can offer us.
CharlieB

CharlieB to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I see hookbag has some zyxel VSG1432s for $112. They're known to work with teksavvy, but perhaps only in western Canada. I see other reports that Zyxel modems might/should/do work with 7330s here in Bell land.

»www.hookbag.ca/product/H ··· 97-zyxel

»Zyxel VSG1432-B101 Modem

tmp
@ibm.com

tmp to TSI Jonathan

Anon

to TSI Jonathan
I'm waiting for a good modem before upgrading from DSL 15/1 to 25/10.
CharlieB
join:2013-03-11
Ottawa, ON

CharlieB

»[DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs please?
ltpenguin
join:2013-03-27

ltpenguin to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
How come the SB6121 from Motorola won't be supported on the upcoming 150/10 Rogers lines? It is spec'd for 160 down

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

said by ltpenguin:

How come the SB6121 from Motorola won't be supported on the upcoming 150/10 Rogers lines? It is spec'd for 160 down

For the same reasons the SB5101N or Thompson/RCA DCM425 won't be supported on anything 25/2 and up. The required bandwidth per channel is way too close to the max. It will likely cause you to not get the speed you'd want and could cause congestion for your neighbours on cable internet as well.
ZombieBanner
join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON

ZombieBanner to ltpenguin

to ltpenguin
said by ltpenguin:

Its the same reason the Docsis 2 isn't allowed on the 28/1. Theoretically it can handle it, but in practice it doesn't do it well.

Each Channel is 38 Mbs, so a SB6121 has 4 channels 152 Mbps max, so technically they can reach the speeds, but no one else in those 4 channels would get any bandwidth at all.

You'd make people sad Pandas, and no one likes a Sad Panda.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to ltpenguin

Premium Member

to ltpenguin
said by ltpenguin:

It sounds like it will be accepted, on a case by case basis, and only if you ask really nicely and explain that you completely understand that you won't really see 150mbit/s half the time and you promise to never complain. Or something like that..

It isn't recommended though.
ltpenguin
join:2013-03-27

ltpenguin to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Thank you all i will just go for the 45/4 or what ever it is i'm sure it will be enough just not the best

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

It's too bad that Rogers went straight from 75 to 150... They should have just kept that 75 tier as an intermediate, the SB6120's would work great on that.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

said by HiVolt:

It's too bad that Rogers went straight from 75 to 150... They should have just kept that 75 tier as an intermediate, the SB6120's would work great on that.

Ya 75/5 or 75/7 would have been nice. That's what the 45/4 tier should've been. 35/3 and 45/4 are so close to each other speed wise.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

For the same reasons the SB5101N or Thompson/RCA DCM425 won't be supported on anything 25/2 and up.

Even trying with 25/2 is a bad idea and users trying are the pricks on the network.

34764170 (banned) to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Even bumping up to 100 would have been fine. But Rogers would rather try to sell the faster tier at a ridiculous mark up to a tiny portion of the user base instead of not so fast at a reasonable rate to a much larger portion of the user base. But then again that would just expose the fact that DOCSIS can't handle the load (oh my bad).

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

The tiers are obviously completely manipulated for marketing purposes--pretty gross really. However, the biggest problem in the lineup is the gaping hole between 6 and 25, along with the abysmal upload speed on 6.

How about:
6/512
12/1
25/2
50/4
100/10
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

1 edit

urbang33k to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by NBomb:

You won't know for sure until the service is hooked up unless your area has been upgraded after Bell stopped rolling out IKNS gear.

If you see lots of JWIs with boxes tacked their sides/rear, you likely are in a stinger area.

If you know where your jwi/opi is, if the backpack has notched corners its lucent. If the backpack has square corners its an alcatel

edit: it's probably worth noting that some jwi/opi's will have 2 back-packs / side packs. and it's not uncommon to have a lucent and alcatel pack on the same opi/jwi
NBomb
Etobicoke, ON

NBomb

said by urbang33k:

said by InvalidError:

said by NBomb:

If you know where your jwi/opi is, if the backpack has notched corners its lucent. If the backpack has square corners its an alcatel

Okay. So maybe 100m away from my house in the field, there's a brown box with... two legs under it. It's maybe 2-3m wide? I've seen inside this, it's where all the pairs are terminated. The tech when I got my original 5meg DSL let me watch him work.

Off the left side there's like an add-on box, and then maybe a meter away to the left of that, not attached, is another smaller brown box that looks like a stand-alone version of the attached add-on box. They both have 45-degree top corners, many vents, and I can hear fans operating inside and circulating air. Never seen inside these.
urbang33k
Canada

urbang33k

sounds like lucent to me. of course, without seeing it I cant say with any degree of certainty
NBomb
Etobicoke, ON

NBomb

Got pics. These are them.

»i.imgur.com/j4ECs4Yl.jpg

»i.imgur.com/OEZnl6Cl.jpg
urbang33k
Canada

urbang33k to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
lucent oslam (stinger)

not alcatel 7330

edit: nice graffiti

the cellpipe modem (with correct firmware) and sagemcom modem will both work here.

edit 2: in response to NBomb's pictures
smartel
join:2008-05-31
Brossard, QC

smartel

What would an "alcatel 7330" looks like? Can you point us to a picture?

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell

said by smartel:

What would an "alcatel 7330" looks like? Can you point us to a picture?