uniqs

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

5 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Wipe the drive! Stealthy Malware Persistence

I've been reading this series and learned a few tricks I didn't know.

Wipe the drive! Stealthy Malware Persistence Mechanism - Part 1
Wipe the drive! Stealthy Malware Persistence Mechanism - Part 2
Wipe the drive! Stealthy Malware Persistence Mechanism - Part 3
Wipe the drive! Stealthy Malware Persistence Mechanism - Part 4

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium Member
join:2000-11-23

Rebrider

Premium Member

Excellent!
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Thanks for the links, very good info there!

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Yeah. Some of the techniques are really really evil (or clever depending on your viewpoint). The old advice to "nuke and pave" seems the best.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

I will have to read up, it looks good.

Point in the first article - BITS service, it was always suggested to turn this off altogether and only enable it for Windows updates. However having people understand that, and mess with Windows updates settings instead of just having it set as automatic by default to help the end user is a bit of a problem.

If only there was a better way to work with Windows Updates that did not allow the end user to become vulnerable - it is their O/S after all, and to date I've not found a happy medium to fix the issue.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I will need to read all of these but, even before seeing the first two I have always held a policy that if a computer becomes compromised.. I always take the nuclear option.

with modern viruses and malware it is just like Aliens... Nukem from orbit... It's the only way to be sure.
psloss
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24

psloss to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Most of these have been pioneered by malware and/or are used more broadly. (Some of them have been the subject of a thread here over the years.)

Wiping the drive is one of the best ideas, but it doesn't fit all cases.
Rebirth
join:2009-06-18

Rebirth to StuartMW

to StuartMW

Click for full size
Saw this in the link

"TECHNIQUE #7 - Winlogon Events

Most versions of Windows will allow an application inside a DLL to register events that are triggered by WinLogon. Once that occurs he application will be launched when ever that event occurs. One of those events is the “shutdown” event. By registering the shutdown event a, malicious DLL will be given a chance to execute every time the machine shuts down. During the shutdown process, the malware will be given a chance to execute commands on the target host. This allows the malware to lie dormant during the incident response process. When the machine is shutdown the malware is loaded into memory. Then it downloads the primary malware and reinfects the machine. This can make your incident response and containment phases very difficult. For memory forensics to see this malware reinfecting your machine you would have to capture memory during the shutdown process. That is not typically how memory captures are done.

Detection:

To check to see if any malware has registered for login events check the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogonNotify

If the subkey doesn't exist you are in good shape. If a subkey with any name exists and it has a "shutdown" value then the dll in the "DLLName" key will be launched during the shutdown process. Check that DLL to see what it does. You should expect that it does very little beyond loading another payload from somewhere else on the hard drive. Here is an example of a registry key registering scard32.dll or shutdown events.

https://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?date=2013-03-22"

I have that Key, & various SubKeys too ! Some have a "shutdown" value as well.

I'm on XP/SP2, does that make a difference, & are they legit for this OS ? I seem to remember they have been there since installing XP.

Please see my Regedit & Autoruns screenies.

TIA

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Rebirth:

...are they legit for this OS ? I seem to remember they have been there since installing XP.

Those entries all point to Microsoft DLL's so I wouldn't worry.
psloss
Premium Member

psloss to Rebirth

Premium Member

to Rebirth
said by Rebirth:

I have that Key, & various SubKeys too ! Some have a "shutdown" value as well.

I'm on XP/SP2, does that make a difference, & are they legit for this OS ? I seem to remember they have been there since installing XP.

Winlogon notification DLLs work in NT 5.x (2000/XP/2003), including several system DLLs (as already noted).

I'm dubious of the effectiveness of this technique to "hide" in the shutdown transient; Winlogon DLLs are very conspicuous due to 5-10 years of widespread malware use and were a part of HijackThis scans maybe as far back as 10 years ago.

The functionality was deleted in NT 6.x (along with other things). It's still applicable in your case (XP is NT 5.1...well, except for the x64 and IA64 versions), but it's a long way down the road to obsolescence.
Rebirth
join:2009-06-18

Rebirth to StuartMW

to StuartMW
@ StuartMW @ psloss

Thanks for the responses.

Funny how he didn't mention, that on certion OS's those keys are legit ?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Rebirth:

I'm sure a certain knowledge of Windows was assumed.
psloss
Premium Member

psloss to Rebirth

Premium Member

to Rebirth
said by Rebirth:

@ StuartMW @ psloss

Thanks for the responses.

Anyone can read blog posts like these, but a lot of them are slanted towards a corporate/larger-size business IT audience. There are big differences between those desktops and networks and a consumer desktop/network.