Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SteveLV702
Premium
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

[NV] Cox Fiber - Not Getting Correct Speeds

Don't know if this is the right area as pretty sure mostly used for cable internet but I just got Cox Fiber installed and not getting even half of my speed... If I plug directly into my laptop and run a speedtest I do.. But once I through my network switch into the mix and run a speed test I get 80-150Mb/20Mb when suppose to be getting 500Mb/500Mb....

Anyone suggest some good equipment or maybe settings or something to get the correct speeds?

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

said by SteveLV702:

Don't know if this is the right area as pretty sure mostly used for cable internet but I just got Cox Fiber installed and not getting even half of my speed... If I plug directly into my laptop and run a speedtest I do.. But once I through my network switch into the mix and run a speed test I get 80-150Mb/20Mb when suppose to be getting 500Mb/500Mb....

Anyone suggest some good equipment or maybe settings or something to get the correct speeds?

Where are you doing a speedtest at? Depending on routing/etc most speedtests wont get anywere close to 500mb. Speed/duplex could be any issue too make sure you are linking up at 1000/full, sometimes switch-switch can result in duplex issues.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
reply to SteveLV702

i had no idea Cox even supplied fiber to customers (i know that they have a fiber backbone but never knew they could deliver fiber straight to the customer i assume your a business or a enthusiast)

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by bryant313:

i had no idea Cox even supplied fiber to customers (i know that they have a fiber backbone but never knew they could deliver fiber straight to the customer i assume your a business or a enthusiast)

Yes just very very expensive..

said by cooldude9919:

Where are you doing a speedtest at? Depending on routing/etc most speedtests wont get anywere close to 500mb. Speed/duplex could be any issue too make sure you are linking up at 1000/full, sometimes switch-switch can result in duplex issues.)

well I tried to do on cox's test servers »test.lvcm.com but doesn't seem to wanna work on any of my mac's so used speedtest.net looking in switch settings not even seeing a setting for 1000/full or even a setting for a speed/duplex.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3

Your better off using Verizon's speedtest, being that they offer FTTH, and so they have test server's better fitted for testing super fast connection's.
»speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/

JustSomeGuy

join:2013-03-19
Johnston, RI
reply to SteveLV702

said by SteveLV702:

I just got Cox Fiber installed and not getting even half of my speed... If I plug directly into my laptop and run a speedtest I do.. But once I through my network switch into the mix and run a speed test I get 80-150Mb/20Mb

So you're getting the correct speed when your gear is out of the picture?

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
reply to SteveLV702

What switch do you have? If it's some off the shelf consumer level crap I would suggest something along the lines of a cisco 3500/3750. I have an idle cisco 3500 gigabit switch that's just been collecting dust.

If you need firewall,nat,dhcpd , I would setup a mini-itx box w/pfsense or shorewall.

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87

said by lilstone87:

Your better off using Verizon's speedtest, being that they offer FTTH, and so they have test server's better fitted for testing super fast connection's.
»speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/

Thanks but that gave me just about the same results as speedtest.net

said by JustSomeGuy:

So you're getting the correct speed when your gear is out of the picture?

Yes and no it gives me the correct download speed of 500Mb but it only gives me 50Mb upload which is still far from my 500Mb that suppose to be getting as I am suppose to be getting 500Mb Up and Down

said by nickphx:

What switch do you have? If it's some off the shelf consumer level crap I would suggest something along the lines of a cisco 3500/3750. I have an idle cisco 3500 gigabit switch that's just been collecting dust.

If you need firewall,nat,dhcpd , I would setup a mini-itx box w/pfsense or shorewall.

You going to laugh at me but havent even gotten a switch yet.... so ya so far its a consumer level crap its a Apple TimeCapsule which before I got the Fiber cox told me all I needed was a 1gb router and so I contacted apple and they said that the time capsule was a 1gb router and so cox said was good enough....... so I went along with it....

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ

Ah... Well there's your problem. While the network interface is 1gigabit, The processor on that time capsule can't handle the traffic.

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

well that just sucks :'(

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ

Yeah... If cox offered fiber to my house I'd grab it too.. Instead of I just have a couple of cabinets on 2 gig-e lines from HE.net in PhoenixNAP.

The good news is it's not terribly difficult to find plenty of devices that will support that bandwidth. Based on what you want to use the network for I can provide some suggestions..

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA

He's right your gonna need better equipment for that kind of speed, and better have a computer with 1gb card, and a good processor.

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to SteveLV702

500M is one hell of a connection. In my profession I do alot more with alot less.

You need some datacenter grade hardware to support that kind of speed...

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87

said by lilstone87:

He's right your gonna need better equipment for that kind of speed, and better have a computer with 1gb card, and a good processor.

I would hope they are not bad

15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 2.7Ghz Processor, 786GB Solid State Drive.

27" iMac 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz, 2GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 3TB Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

Windows 8 Enterprise Edition Machine don't remember all the specs just know has a 128GB Solid State Drive then a 3TB 7200RPM Drive, like 32 or 48GB of RAM and 3.8Ghz i7 processor.

Then all my webservers and game servers have dual processors and atleast 16 - 32 GB of ram

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ

Ah.. If you're hosting web/games and personal stuff I would get a cisco 3550 or 3750 switch.

I would put the servers onto their own vlan and the personal machines on a separate vlan behind an Asus RT-N56U. Based on performance reviews the Asus could push 1gbit to wan and lan devices without issue.

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by nickphx:

Ah.. If you're hosting web/games and personal stuff I would get a cisco 3550 or 3750 switch.

I would put the servers onto their own vlan and the personal machines on a separate vlan behind an Asus RT-N56U. Based on performance reviews the Asus could push 1gbit to wan and lan devices without issue.

now question would machines using wifi be able to get speeds up to the 500/500 or they still restricted to the like 150/50

now see if I can afford this equipment me broke now after getting the fiber as very expensive they charge for construction luckily only a very very small portion of it

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ

No.. Expecting such speeds over wifi would be silly. I don't think there's a current wifi standard that supports that much.

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by nickphx:

No.. Expecting such speeds over wifi would be silly. I don't think there's a current wifi standard that supports that much.

Didn't think so thought they where working on one though..

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA

So what kind of equipment does cox have at your place, providing that supposed 500/500Mb connection?

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

Click for full size
said by lilstone87:

So what kind of equipment does cox have at your place, providing that supposed 500/500Mb connection?

Depends on if they do a sonet build or not. We have a few fiber connections with them, here is one on a sonet ring.

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10
reply to SteveLV702

said by SteveLV702:

I will say you're going to need beefier hardware than that Apple box to handle that much traffic - someone suggested a Cisco 3750 - as long as it's a G (i.e. 3750G) it could handle it, or it's non-stackable twin Cisco 3560G.

If you really think your circuit is provisioned wrong, PM me your Cox circuit ID (starts 33.blahblah) and I can double check, but fiber provisioning problems tend to be very rare.

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to SteveLV702

Click for full size
Alcatel-Lucent 7210 SAS-M
said by cooldude9919:

said by lilstone87:

Depends on if they do a sonet build or not. We have a few fiber connections with them, here is one on a sonet ring.

man they gave you alot of stuff they just gave me a Alcatel-Lucent 7210 SAS-M and a Backup battery

dalekinder

join:2009-01-17
Virginia Beach, VA

I dont mean to be to nosy, but what does cox charge for that a month? I dont see pricing for it. Also what kinda game servers you hosting. Thinking about getting a fiber connection like this soon, and from cox.

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by dalekinder:

I dont mean to be to nosy, but what does cox charge for that a month? I dont see pricing for it. Also what kinda game servers you hosting. Thinking about getting a fiber connection like this soon, and from cox.

just the fiber connection its a little over $5,000/mo but then after all my IPs which is another additional $2,500/mo I am paying a little over $8,000/mo

Regarding game servers everything from Counter-Strike, Minecraft, all the Counter-Strikes, on..... then I have teamspeak servers, webservers, exchange servers..... All where hosted elsewhere me paying over $20,000/mo me bringing in-house...

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA

Thats understandable. I currently host 5bf3 servers, 5 web, 5 CSGO servers and 10 Minecraft. All over 2 t3 lines.

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to dalekinder

said by dalekinder:

well to think about it though now my contract though for the $8,000/mo showed /20 IP Allocation which I guess Corporation denied until I fill out a IP Allocation form so as of right now I only have /23 and /30 so as of right now I am not even sure what I am paying

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to SteveLV702

And they are just about maxed out. And At&t refuses to give me more bandwith.

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to SteveLV702

Correction in my post not t3 lines 2 T2 lines*** and they are charging me about 3800/month.

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ
reply to SteveLV702

That's crazy man. I had 3 cabinets at PhoenixNAP and 2 gig e lines with HE.net and I was spending $4800/mo.. It was that much because 1 cabinet has 2 30amp power drops, that alone was 2k.

I retired a bunch of old machines, spend a decent amount on new hardware and now 3 cabinets are down to 1 with everything but database servers running in vmware.

$2500/month in IPs? Why not go directly to ARIN?

SteveLV702
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by nickphx:

That's crazy man. I had 3 cabinets at PhoenixNAP and 2 gig e lines with HE.net and I was spending $4800/mo.. It was that much because 1 cabinet has 2 30amp power drops, that alone was 2k. $2500/month in IPs? Why not go directly to ARIN?

I tried to go directly to ARIN as I am currently using 3970 IP with current provider who charges me $1 per month per IP and Cox charges a $5 per month ARIN is like $0.20 per year so hell ya I wanna go through ARIN but they require that you have to have atleast a /20 SWIFT through your UPSTREAM Provider. Well my current provider isn't SWIFTing them to me and wont let me keep them... So currently I don't meet their guidelines...