Search similar:

uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Underlayment?

I have underlayment that will go under laminate flooring. What type of tape or glue do I need to buy? I'm not doing this but someone else is, they just told me have everything ready for them since they don't want to have to keep making trips to Home Depot.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

The person doing this should tell you. They may have a preference or experience with certain ones.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Generally, what are the options? What is glue used for?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

What underlayment are you using?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

It's purple and was a little more expensive than the cheaper stuff. Supposed to suppress sound a little better I guess.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by fartness:

It's purple and was a little more expensive than the cheaper stuff. Supposed to suppress sound a little better I guess.

That does not help - get a list from the person doing the install and buy what they tell you to buy. Though I think his reason for not getting it himself is a joke.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

That's the reason I inferred since everyone seems to have that mindset. I was simply told to buy everything and have it ready. I agree there's no point in wasting time if I don't have everything already.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
His reason isn't a joke.... Wouldn't you like it if a project went smooth, with no stoppages, and having to run after extra stuff ?

When I'm doing something and things are going well, but have to get something, I will break down and go to the hardware store 5 min away and pay 2x the price vs going further to Lowes/HD. Some will argue my time and gas makes up for the 2x cost too....

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to fartness

to fartness
The few times I installed laminate, the tape was attached to the underlayment... you rolled it out... pulled the cover strip, attached it down, rolled out the next row, repeat.

I think this was it: »www.lowes.com/pd_79183-5 ··· =3089679

Just verify it has the sticky edge before you buy it to be sure

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Hall

Mod

to Hall
said by Hall:

His reason isn't a joke....

I think the "installer" is a joke if there wasn't even a list supplied of the needed materials. The expert should be making the call on the required materials, not a homeowner who has never installed laminate before.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

See the 1st response to the OP's post

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Hall

MVM

to Hall
said by Hall:

His reason isn't a joke.... Wouldn't you like it if a project went smooth, with no stoppages, and having to run after extra stuff ?

When I'm doing something and things are going well, but have to get something, I will break down and go to the hardware store 5 min away and pay 2x the price vs going further to Lowes/HD. Some will argue my time and gas makes up for the 2x cost too....

Sure it would be nice but the 'professional' installer should know what is needed and how much. How is a layperson supposed to know how much to get or even what to get. This is why installers bring a little extra in their trucks... Supplies...
cwm1276
join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL

cwm1276 to fartness

to fartness
I've never used any tape, just butt it together. I only put down what I am working on next, don't do the whole floor first.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
Safe to presume he's neither a professional or an installer (or if he is, he's doing this strictly as a side job and not using ANY of his supplies).

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Most underlay comes with a 'flap' on one side, and integrated tape on the other... No extra 'stuff' is usually needed. It's self sealing.

That said - if I have to cut around things, or have to join 'butt' pieces, I'll use sheathing (or Tuck, as its known in Canada) tape. Usually red, very sticky; it's intended use is for joining or patching vapour barriers and house wrap.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I misunderstood him, all I needed was glue. Already bought it and the floor is 1/3 done. Looks good so far.

What is the R-value of underlayment? This isn't the cheap white foam underlayment, it's a little more expensive than that. I can't hear anything when I walk on the section of the new floor, so its sound inhibiting properties must not have been just a marketing gimmick.
35245635 (banned)
join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA

35245635 (banned)

said by fartness:

What is the R-value of underlayment?

There isn't really any R value. If you are lucky maybe R-1 or R-2 when the flooring is done. Not enough to even worry about.
»www.houseneeds.com/shop/ ··· ials.asp