how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xtreme2damax

join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Ingame Lag W/ Fios.

To start off my ping isn't all that bad, it's usually between 15ms to 30ms. I've ran multiple ping tests which all state no problems with the connection. In the game I play, Team Fortress 2 the net graph shows no loss and no choke. When I try to play it's a laggy mess, other players skip or teleport around making them hard to hit or they skip/teleport and end up killing me. Apparently other players don't seem to have a problem, almost all their shots connect and do appropriate damage. My shots don't do as much damage as they should, hitreg failure galore. My actions in the game world (not in first person from my view) seem considerably delayed compared to others.

I'm trying to explain the best I can because I realize most here might not be familiar with the game and it's mechanics. I've tried tweaking network related settings in the game's autoexec.cfg which sometimes offers slight improvement but is still fairly laggy.

A friend told me to check the settings in my router but I am not sure what to look for or what to change to fix this. I have two routers and this lag happens with both routers. The ONT in the basement is over a year old but is still working alright. The connection between the ONT and Actiontec is coax but I don't think that would cause the type of lag I am experiencing.
--
My Website: »www.xtemu.com
My Speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/result/1218984197.png

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

It's not your equipment but somewhere in Verizon's network or beyond. I play Bad Company 2 often and I fly the Blackhawk a lot. When there is no registration issues I can turn the heli on a dime but if there's issues like you noticed, I'll sometimes fly into a wall because it's almost like my controls aren't responding or are responding mega-slow

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax

Is there a way to fix it? My ping is fine but a lag really bad, the severity of lag I am experiencing is unacceptable especially for a fiber network. I stand no chance of Verizon doing anything because my ping is low and I can browse and download fine. I can not play with this type of lag. So much stutter, skipping, and sometimes my actions are delayed considerably. I've had spikes freeze me in place for about two seconds and am experiencing rubberbanding.
--

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
reply to Xtreme2damax

Stupid ? but I have to ask...
Are you playing on a ired connection or wireless?
Have you ever messed with your QoS settings?

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax

Wired connection, Actiontec router on my desk. Can interference affect wired connections or just wireless? Never messed with QoS, didn't think I would need to since I don't download or upload anything while playing. I tried messing with QoS once but I got a bit confused how to properly configure it in the Actiontec router.

JG21

@verizon.net

From my experience lag is usually caused by bad ping rates. I insisted on ethernet to ONT connection specifically for that reason (no coax cable), and my ping is 5-9ms.

Does it only happen with this one game, or do you see similar symptoms with other titles?

serge87

reply to Xtreme2damax

I saw this happen on 2 different games when I played more often and saw identical symptoms in each game. The ping looked fine but the actual hit registration or action responsiveness was terrible in-game.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax

Sometimes it's alright. Other times it's like, "I'm pretty sure I hit that shot, my aim isn't that bad". It's terrible and throws me off and I am not sure what to do.

It's worth a shot if it helps but can I get Verizon to hook me up via ethernet from the ONT to the router? Maybe if I can get the tech out here to do that I can explain my issues and see if there is anything he can do.

dtbcollumb

@usdoj.gov

You sure it's your internet connection? How is your pc?.. video card up drivers up to date? Can you play just fine on single player? Just a thought. Is this on a desktop or laptop? I'd try another computer at your house.. get your friend to bring his over and verify that it does the same thing on his.

propcgamer

join:2001-10-10
reply to Xtreme2damax

Does it happen on any TF2 server you connect to? Or only specific ones?

Are you (or someone else in your house) running torrents or other heavy transfers?

You should try uninstalling tf2 and reinstalling. Also on the reinstall, use fresh config settings (not the ones saved in the steam cloud).

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Xtreme2damax

I have a hard time believing it is a latency problem on your end. From my experience with Team Fortress 2, the skipping/teleporting doesn't happen unless the latency is over 150ms. The doors at the resupply rooms are a pretty good way of telling if you have lag. If you run into them and have to wait for them to open, there is a problem. The actual ping shown in game is not very accurate.

My guess is that it is either a problem with the server or something else is taking up your cpu. I've played a number of servers that simply couldn't keep up and I have left applications running on my computer that have made TF2 lag.

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
reply to Xtreme2damax

Also make sure you have nothing updating in the backround.
Antivirus,windows updates, a virus,malware.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to silbaco

Yep that is exactly what happens. When the lag occurs which is very ofter there is delay for the respawn room doors opening and shutting. When I go through a tele it sometimes takes me a second to teleport to the exit teleporter. It's like I am playing with over 100ms ping most of the time. Single player on all my games is fine, TF2 is fine if I create a local server. This is currently happening on all servers.

I'm the only one that uses the internet connection. My wireless is encrypted with Wpa2 encryption and a strong passphrase. Windows update is set not to download updates automatically. I've already tried disabling real time protection of my anti-virus and uninstalling/reinstalling the game as well as tried with fresh default configurations.

serge87

reply to Xtreme2damax

This is not a problem with a PC or video drivers. I also see this problem and I don't even play the same game as Xtreme2damax. My ONT is ethernet to router so that will not fix your problem.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax

Any ideas as to what I can do. It appears to be a Verizon problem, not my system,drivers or anything else on my end. I don't think Verizon will do anything considering my ping has been low lately with no notable spikes. I can browse the web and download files alright. What am I to do about this especially since Verizon tech reps don't seem educated on anything other than slow or non working connections. Trying to explain game latency/lag might be a lost cause I fear.
--

propcgamer

join:2001-10-10
reply to Xtreme2damax

What are the ip's of the servers your having issues with?
Can you post traceroutes while you are having the issue?
Any way for you to test with another computer but on the same connection?

JohnGalt21

join:2012-12-14
Ridgefield, NJ
reply to Xtreme2damax

As propcgamer said start by eliminating unknowns, to zero in on what causes the problem.

1. Try playing the same game on different computer on your connection.
2. Try taking your computer to a friend's house and play the game there.
I guess installing the game on a laptop would make it easier.

JG21

@verizon.net
reply to Xtreme2damax

As propcgamer said, start by eliminating all other variables. Can you use another computer (or laptop), and hook it up to the same connection. A simple way to cross one unknown off the list (your PC).