uniqs

MarkyD
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

MarkyD

Premium Member

[OK] Oklahoma speed upgrades

My employer has been paying for my Cox Business Internet at home for the past several years, which has been really nice. Well, they decided to do away with that recently, so I had to convert to a consumer-side account. I was shocked to learn how much the prices have increased since I last paid for my internet service. 65.99 for Premier 25/3 service. $100 for Ultimate 50/5. I was especially bummed to see that while prices have gone way up, speeds have pretty much stayed the same.

I see lots of other markets getting speed upgrades. Has anyone had any luck getting info out of them on upgrades in the OK market? When I called, they said "before the end of the year..." but we all know they never really know at the call center.
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

Someone a while back posted Q3 of this year was the target. Not sure how official their source was.

MarkyD
Premium Member
Oklahoma City, OK

MarkyD

Premium Member

said by bchandler02:

Someone a while back posted Q3 of this year was the target. Not sure how official their source was.

Ah, yes. Just found the thread you're referring to. I wonder why we lag so far behind the rest of the markets. I've had 4 channels on the upstream and 8 channels on the downstream for over a year now.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

I'm still on 8x1, near 89th/santa fe.

Zaide
@cogentco.com

Zaide to MarkyD

Anon

to MarkyD
When the main competition in the area is at&t you dont need to try that hard to stay ahead
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

..with AT&T increasing their speeds, Cox will have to adjust, but look at the prices, we need some real competition. It will never happen, if you want to, move to a FIOS area. I'm sure there's a map of where it's available across the country.

-Rob

MarkyD
Premium Member
Oklahoma City, OK

MarkyD

Premium Member

said by Rob_:

..with AT&T increasing their speeds, Cox will have to adjust, but look at the prices, we need some real competition. It will never happen, if you want to, move to a FIOS area. I'm sure there's a map of where it's available across the country.

-Rob

That's funny. I'm sure my wife would be thrilled with me moving us away from our great jobs to get better internet.
MarkyD

MarkyD to bchandler02

Premium Member

to bchandler02
said by bchandler02:

I'm still on 8x1, near 89th/santa fe.

Crazy. I guess they're still working through it. I'm in Yukon near I-40 and Mustang Rd, and the channel bonding has been active for a long time here.

ANonguy
@cox.net

ANonguy

Anon

Arizona doubled speeds here. And there is no competition.

Centurylink DSL cannot even come close!
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to MarkyD

to MarkyD
Just wondering if anyone has any newer rumors on timelines for OKC to get the upgrades. I seem to recall another thread here mentioned that the tornado damage/reconstruction in Moore had taken priority and pushed this back, but not sure how long.

Anyone have any new rumors for OKC?
Ghan_04
join:2009-11-24

Ghan_04 to MarkyD

to MarkyD
I will be quite surprised if it happens this year.
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_ to MarkyD

Premium Member

to MarkyD
People have moved to get better 'net

-Rob
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss

said by Rob_:

People have moved to get better 'net

-Rob

Maybe in Rob's world.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

He didn't say how many. Of course some people have moved for better 'net. You're deluded if you think some people have not.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to MarkyD

Premium Member

to MarkyD
Cox is way behind here. I was talking to a guy who pays $50 a month for 50down/10 up. Premier as you note is $65.99 and is only 3 up. Rip off.
KrK

KrK to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
I know several people that eliminated some homes from their list because of their Internet provider.
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss to KrK

to KrK
My premier is 20 up.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

How are you getting that? If you're going by the results of Speedtest.net, I can assure you that it's WAY off. It always MASSIVELY overstates the actual speed you get.

I have a Samknows monitoring unit and Cox's premier I have consistently maxes out at 3.2 up, sometimes less.

MarkyD
Premium Member
Oklahoma City, OK

MarkyD

Premium Member

Just got an email from cox that upgraded speeds are coming to my area "within the next few weeks."
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to MarkyD

to MarkyD
No word yet for OKC/Moore.
scottct1
join:2002-01-28
Newington, CT

scottct1 to KrK

to KrK
said by KrK:

I have a Samknows monitoring unit and Cox's premier I have consistently maxes out at 3.2 up, sometimes less.

I have SamKnows as well, and I think their router (I have a Netgear) can't handle the higher speeds. The SamKnows Router is reporting around 77MB. However if I use my ASUS router I am able to get 177 Mbps without any issues. And that is on a number of different testing sites.

We just got the speed upgrades here in Connecticut this morning.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

I trust the Samknows unit because of the consistency of measuring speeds over time, and it lines right up with my streaming results.

Various speed tests seem to over-report. I think it's to do with "Burst" transfers from "Speed Boost."
scottct1
Newington, CT

scottct1

I have been in contact with SamKnows about this and hopefully I hear back from them shortly.
wazzupg
join:2010-12-31
Oklahoma City, OK

wazzupg to MarkyD

to MarkyD
I received the same e-mail. It would be nice to know to what each tier is going to be upgraded too.
scottct1
Newington, CT

scottct1 to KrK

to KrK
Click for full size
Well turns out I was looking at the wrong screen on my SamKnows stats. It now looks like its is reporting speeds of around 132 MB which is below the advertised speed of 150 Mbps.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to bchandler02

MVM

to bchandler02
said by bchandler02:

No word yet for OKC/Moore.

FWIW...

We received the coming speed upgrade email the other day here in Norman...
scottct1
Newington, CT

scottct1

Overnight I got an email from SamKnows saying I will need a new box.

Here is what they said.
quote:
Hello Scott,

Thank you for contacting SamKnows about your speed upgrade.

I believe your new speed is beyond what the Netgear can handle, so it may be best for you to replace the router with one of your own that can handle higher speeds. If you wish to continue participating in the testing project, we're happy to send you one of our newer style devices which connect to a router and run tests independently (as opposed to being the router as well). We no longer send out devices configured to be used as a router and hardcode all of our devices as transparent bridges now.

Kind regards,

Ati

The SamKnows Team

bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to MarkyD

to MarkyD
Still no word here, but have another friend in Moore that got the email yesterday afternoon as well.
scottct1
Newington, CT

scottct1 to MarkyD

to MarkyD
Krk, Samknows is sending me out a new white box that will plug into my Router and be able to handle the higher speeds. Sounds like you might need one too once the update is complete.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to MarkyD

to MarkyD
If the Internet connection is faster than the Sam Knows gear I suspect we're doing something right