spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cmcad
join:2010-03-12
Dallas, TX

cmcad

DSL to uVerse question

I'm interested in upping my Internet speeds, and the available DSL tiers compressed when I wasn't looking...so to upgrade I'll have to go with uVerse.

Am I correct in my impression that the term "dry loop" has no meaning with uVerse? And that uVerse Internet and POTS are completely separate things/accounts? Because my intention is to switch up to 12mbps uVerse Internet, and then, when I'm confident it's working as expected, drop the POTS line in favor of Ooma, or equivalent. My concern is cancelling the POTS and having Internet go poof! simultaneously.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

U-Verse can be Line Shared or Dry Loop - those terms still apply & are valid

The billing & accounts systems for POTS and U-Verse are separate, so canceling a line shared POTS service does NOT cancel the U-Verse service running on the same pair.

The old line shared "normal" dsl would disconnect when POTS was disconnected, mainly because POTS was the account, and cancelling it was cancelling the service account

midwest pt
@rr.com

midwest pt to cmcad

Anon

to cmcad
Dry loop is internet without POTS line, as posted you will not want dry loop but ATT will try to sell you a bundle deal of internet and VOIP, this can be cheaper than internet and POTS, but as a bundle deal if later you decide to cancel VOIP you have broken your bundle and your internet cost will increase to regular (not bundle) price. If stay true to plan POTS and internet separate then two bills each higher than bundled price but able to cancel POTS at any time to go to some internet provided phone or drop hard wire line altogether.
cmcad
Dallas, TX

1 edit

cmcad to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
Okay, that confirms what I read elsewhere. I need to get the terminology and categories straight before jumping. I've got no illusions about AT&T phone reps explaining matters clearly and to my advantage.
cmcad

cmcad to midwest pt

to midwest pt
DSL/POTS bill and cancel together, common account, as do U-verse Internet and U-verse Voice, but not POTS/U-Verse Internet. Got it. It should be safe enough, then, to have my current POTS number transferred to the VOIP account after my U-Verse Internet is up and running, which would also cancel the POTS account.

I found out about U-Verse Voice when they recently raised my POTS bill, and I went online to see my options. There WERE none. POTS is no more.

midwest pt
@rr.com

midwest pt to cmcad

Anon

to cmcad
Dry loop is internet without POTS line, as posted you will not want dry loop but ATT will try to sell you a bundle deal of internet and VOIP, this can be cheaper than internet and POTS, but as a bundle deal if later you decide to cancel VOIP you have broken your bundle and your internet cost will increase to regular (not bundle) price. If stay true to plan POTS and internet separate then two bills each higher than bundled price but able to cancel POTS at any time to go to some internet provided phone or drop hard wire line altogether.

mcwhatl
join:2010-12-19
North Miami Beach, FL

mcwhatl to cmcad

to cmcad
said by cmcad:

DSL/POTS bill and cancel together, common account, as do U-verse Internet and U-verse Voice, but not POTS/U-Verse Internet. Got it. It should be safe enough, then, to have my current POTS number transferred to the VOIP account after my U-Verse Internet is up and running, which would also cancel the POTS account.

I found out about U-Verse Voice when they recently raised my POTS bill, and I went online to see my options. There WERE none. POTS is no more.

I have "real" uverse (VDSL). I canceled my AT&T phone by porting my my U-voice number to Vonage. There was absolutely zero impact on Uverse Internet. I am currently Uverse Internet only.
cmcad
Dallas, TX

cmcad

So different for VDSL U-Verse, but still no risk porting voice. Thanks.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to cmcad

to cmcad
said by cmcad:

POTS is still alive and kicking, AT&T just hides all the POTS options on their site behind all the Uverse BS. It's there. If you wanna get a deal on your POTS line (which you can still do believe it or not) you need to call cancellations.
cmcad
Dallas, TX

cmcad

said by GusHerb:

POTS is still alive and kicking, AT&T just hides all the POTS options on their site behind all the Uverse BS. It's there. If you wanna get a deal on your POTS line (which you can still do believe it or not) you need to call cancellations.

I've got no objection to VOIP. If AT&T is so reluctant to sell or upgrade a product it tells me maybe I should be a little cautious about insisting on hanging onto it. POTS is just what I happen to have at the moment.

Thanks for the info.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to midwest pt

to midwest pt
I have both POTS and a U-Verse Internet account and I do get a bundled price. You have to ASK for it by billing/customer service. If you do not ask, you do not get. It's about $5. If you have AT&T long distance- you get another bundled discount for that.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to cmcad

to cmcad
said by cmcad:

said by GusHerb:

I've got no objection to VOIP. If AT&T is so reluctant to sell or upgrade a product it tells me maybe I should be a little cautious about insisting on hanging onto it. POTS is just what I happen to have at the moment.

Thanks for the info.

There's really nothing to worry about hanging onto POTS they just push uvoice because it costs them pretty much nothing to provide. POTS has another few years before they start doing anything with it.
cmcad
Dallas, TX

cmcad to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

I have both POTS and a U-Verse Internet account and I do get a bundled price. You have to ASK for it by billing/customer service. If you do not ask, you do not get. It's about $5. If you have AT&T long distance- you get another bundled discount for that.

My idea was to rid myself of AT&T's "bundles". $5 off doesn't compare well to ~$4/mo. (Ooma) or nada (Obihai). Reliability is another matter. Reviews are good, but I guess I'll find out.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige to GusHerb

to GusHerb
said by GusHerb:

...they just push uvoice because it costs them pretty much nothing...

How does POTS cost ATT more than uvoice?

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai

»www.myrateplan.com/tradi ··· -service
Plus the fact that POTS or line techs have older/better Union deals than the budding Uverse premise technician.