how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

My Iphone 5 Nightmare Courtesy of Verizon and Fedex

sorry if this is a bit long winded but i thought i would just share my recent experience in trying to purchase an iphone through verizon.

It all started on Tuesday March 12. I ordered my iphone 5 from verizon’s online store. The ordering process went great. good so far.

On Wednesday I get an email notifying me that my phone has been shipped and should arrive at my house no later than 7pm on friday march 15. Everything is going as planned so far

Thursday is when things began to get strange. I look up the tracking information and i notice that the phone had left the memphis fedex facility and then returned back to the same memphis fedex facility about 12 hours later. I didn’t really think much of it. Probably just a glitch in the system.

Friday is when things began to go south in a hurry. I wait around all day for my phone to arrive at my doorstep. 7 o’clock comes and go and still no fedex guy with my phone. I call fedex customer support and ask them what is going on. I am told that the package never got out of memphis due to inclement weather. The lady assured me that the phone would be at my door by no later than 7pm tomorrow.

So i wait another day for my phone to arrive. 7 O’clock rolls around and still no fedex guy with my phone. I look up the tracking information again and it now says that it has reached the destination sort facility in flint. At this point the estimated delivery says N/A. At this point, i don’t even bother calling fedex because i know that they are just going to tell me that the package will be here on monday.

Monday rolls around. I look up the tracking information and it says on vehicle for delivery. Sweet! my phone is finally go to be here. Fedex guy shows up about midday. I get the box and i immediately notice that the box had it looked like somebody had cut the box with a razor blade and then re taped it. I open the box up and there’s nothing but a couple pieces of paper, no phone. So i make the fedex guy take the box back and to put in the report that there was no phone in the box.

We first get on the phone with verizon. The first guy tells us that you have to conatact fedex first and that there’s nothing they can do. Then the guy hangs up on me abruptly. I am not satisfied with his answer so i call back and ask to talk to a supervisor. He tells me that you will need to call fedex and get a case number. Once verizon gets the case number, they will then send me a new phone. I am well over 2 hours worth of time on the phone.

I call fedex. The first lady i talked too didn’t have a clue what i was talking about. Said that i would have to call verizon to handle all of this. At this point, i ask for a supervisor. She transfers me to a supervisor. For once, somebody knew what they were talking about (or so i thought). She says that fedex admits that they lost the phone and takes responsibility for the lost phone. She then gives me a case number and says that once verizon gets the case number, they will send me a new phone at no charge. I am up to 3 hours total on the phone now.

I call verizon back and give them the case number. Then the guy says that verizon will now launch an investigation on the lost phone. once that investigation is complete, they will send me a new phone. Keep in mind that fedex already admitted that they lost phone. What the heck is verizon investigating??? I then ask for another supervisor ,Ray, who proceeds to tell me that yes, fedex admits responsibility but that verizon still wants to do an investigation. I ask him what they are investigating and he tells me that he doesn’t know. He tells that they have a team in the claims department that goes through all these cases and signs off on them. He then gives me his number and tells me to call him back on wednesday if i haven’t received a call from them before then

I ask to talk to another supervisor. This guy tells me that once I purchased the phone from their website, it’s my responsibility, even if fedex loses the phone. (READ THE FINE PRINT FOLKS or else you could get screwed too). When i ask him what verizon is investigating, he also tells me he doesn’t know. He said that my case would go to the claims department and that i should get a call back from them in 24 hours. total time on the phone today: 5 hours

24 hours rolls by and no call from verizon (Big Surprise!). I wait until Wednesday afternoon to call them back. I call the number ray gave me. It tells me that nobody is avaliable and to leave my name and number and they will call me back (yea Right). I call the regular customer service number and right away ask for a supervisor. I give him my case number and he goes through it all. He then proceeds to tell me that my case will now go into the next phase of the investigation. I tell him that I thought that that’s what they were doing the last 2 days. I also tell him exactly what ray told me in that they have a team that goes through these claims and signs off on them.

The guy tells me a completely different story. that they don’t have a team that goes through them and that verizon doesn’t even rally investigate the claims. He tells me that i will have to go through fedex to claim the money for the lost phone. In other words, the investigation by verizon is useless because no matter what, i would have to buy another phone through verizon and hope that fedex reimburses me for the other phone; a complete opposite story from what i was told 2 days ago.

So i decide to just order another phone. Give him my credit card and shipping information. Once i give him all of the necessary information, he tells me to stay on the line to confirm the order. I then get transferred to phone activation and after a few seconds it hangs up on me. I have to call customer service again. The lady on the other end was very nice and competent and was able to quickly finish the order. She said she has no idea why i got disconnected or why i was transferred to activation .

After i took care of the phone order, i call fedex to see when i can expect my money. They tell me that they will get in contact with us in 5-7 days. I sense another nightmare in the near future. This will be “to be continued. total time spent on the phone today: 1 hour 30 minutes.

I get my new phone the next day. Everything is in the package this time. I pull out the invoice and i notice that the billing name and shipping name address are different then what i gave the guy yesterday. They can’t even get my order information correct! I also notice that the phone number listed on the invoice is the wrong number

I call up activation and they are able to transfer it to the right number. (Finally something goes right!). She then proceeds to the activation and after a couple minutes she tells me that they are having problems with their system and that she recommends that i activate it via my wifi. So i go through the activation process and huzzah, my phone is up and running!

Lesson learned; Never, ever, buy an expensive phone through the mail. Go to a brick and mortar store where you know what you are getting.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
Since you purchased your second phone with a CC, I assume you also purchased the first one using the same method of payment. Call your credit card company ASAP and file a dispute. By virtue of the fact you purchased a second phone lends a great amount of credibility to your case. Verizon has the contract with FedEx and they should file the claim.
--
Zach

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
kudos:1
said by Zach1:

Since you purchased your second phone with a CC, I assume you also purchased the first one using the same method of payment. Call your credit card company ASAP and file a dispute. By virtue of the fact you purchased a second phone lends a great amount of credibility to your case. Verizon has the contract with FedEx and they should file the claim.

Agree 100% I would have went straight to the CC company and filed a dispute.
--
Professional student pilot!

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to chances14
Don't wait for Fedex, dispute the first phone charge with your CC company!

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
reply to chances14
Call your credit card company!

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

2 edits
reply to chances14
Redacted

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to chances14
FedEx sucks

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to chances14
It is not your responsibility to deal with FedEx, tou are not their client, Verizon is. It should all have been handled by Verizon.

I agreewith the other posters, call your CC and dispute the charges.

Faster
Premium
join:2013-03-09
reply to chances14
Wow. Now that is a true horror story told with chilling, detailed, and relevant clarity.

I wonder since in certain limited ways Apple is a different animal in their business relationship or dealings with companies like cellular phone business if by chance that was a contributing factor? Probably not...but just wondering if it play ANY part.

Glad you finally got it resolved.

How do you like the phone?

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

1 edit
Redacted

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to chances14
Verizon is responsible for getting the phone to you. They did not. You have the information to prove it.

Verizon needs to make this right.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by jjoshua:

Verizon needs to make this right.

and the Credit Card issuer should take care of it for you,
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to chances14
For the amount they charge for cellphone service I am surprised they gave you the run around on this whole ordeal. I wouldn't even have bothered to get a second phone and just file a dispute with the credit card company and told them to go f themselves. What a garbage of a company.

My package was lost as well a few months back over a piece of hardware I have ordered. Never even arrived after two weeks. I called up the vendor and they confirmed that Fedex has lost my order and shipped out a new one within two days.

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ
reply to chances14
Why didn't you go to a Verizon store and buy the phone there?

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
said by stevennb:

Why didn't you go to a Verizon store and buy the phone there?

Usually at the store, the price is the same online AFTER a rebate. So you pay more at the store but wait for a rebate
--
No Victim=No Crime

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
for the piece of mind, worth it.

not happy

@rr.com
reply to chances14
I upgraded to an iphone 5 over the phone with Verizon. It arrived from FEDEX yesterday with everything in the box except - you guessed it - the ACTUAL iphone! The box was there, the earbuds, the car charger I had ordered, but no iphone. I called Verizon customer service and they initiated an investigation with FEDEX. I asked, "once that investigation is complete, then what?" and she said, "we'll take care of you either way. We'll maybe get you a "like-new" phone instead. I said, "a WHAT? I want a NEW iphone, not a LIKE NEW iphone." She was vague about their policies and procedures. I don't care who lost it, FEDEX, or if Apple or Verizon did something wrong on their end. Bottom line, I didn't get the iphone I ordered. I would call my credit card company and cancel the charge, but I had them add it to my cell phone bill, which I haven't paid yet. I suppose I could wait out til the end of my contract, which is end of may, and just cancel and walk away and refuse to pay for the phone that I did not receive. I figure over the past 10 years, I've spent more than $10,000 with Verizon. The right customer service answer is: "ma'am, we are so sorry that happened. What's the best address for us to ship the actual phone immediately?" Any advice for me? I don't want to spend 10+ hours on the phone with customer service people over the next few days. Thanks!

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
Note to self:

It's safer to pick up expensive phones directly from either an authorized agent or Corporate store. Yes, it may cost a little more but it's worth not having to deal with the drama when things go wrong.

Now that you're in neck-deep, I'd have VZW ship your replacement to the nearest Corporate store for you to pick up.
--
Zach