uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Grass seed

I'm in Upstate NY since I'm sure it matters.

I see Walmart has more grass seed than Home Depot. It will be time to start planting it in the next month to month and a half for me. I see 20 pound bag for $15 to $50... should I get the cheap bag or a happy medium?

The plow guy is a drunk and missed my driveway by about a foot or two all the way to my back yard... time to replant some grass! Plus I am putting dirt at a slope on the one side of my house (away from my house), since the land was flat there and water would pool up or towards the house. I will need to plant grass seed here on the new dirt.

So with these two reasons for planting grass seed, what is best?

BTW, last year, I had some tire marks from a family member missing my driveway and hitting the grass. I used some Pennington for sun and shade area (~$15 for a 6.5lb red bag) and the grass grew in beautifully. However, that's more money than I want to pay unless I really have no choice (ie. if the cheap stuff is crap).

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
The cheap stuff is usually only grass seed. It's usually a sun/shade mix, so if you plant in the sun, the seeds that prefer the shade will die and the ones that like the sun will grow. It should say on the bag what the mix is.

The more expensive stuff will usually have some kind of fertilizer in it, or something that'll help the seed to take. Or it might be one specific type of seed for certain types of locations (sun only/shade only). There should be some indication on the bag about why it's more expensive.

The cheap stuff will do, if you can keep it moist for the first two months or so. If you forget to water it on one hot, sunny day, it's done. That's mostly true for the expensive stuff too, unless there's some fancy stuff going on (like some of the Scott's stuff has an outer coating on the seed that absorbs moisture).

Spread lots of seed, rake it lightly so there's good contact with the soil, and keep it moist (not swimming).

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to fartness
Preparation of land, application, and subsequent care are more important than the price of the seed.

If it's a bigger area, you may want to use a rototiller on it, and add some fertilizer at the same time. Smooth it down, spread seed, rake it lightly, cover it with a thin layer of peat moss, and keep it moist until the grass is starting to grow.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness
Last year when I planted that grass, I pretty much set it and forgot it. It didn't rain a whole lot either. I watered it when I first planted it and it grew real quick.

I remember when I was younger that my parents planted some cheap stuff and it took forever to grow and looked like crap once it did grow. 15 years later you can finally not tell the difference.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
You may have gotten lucky with the weather. Some of the more expensive mixes contain fertilizer and binder that can also store some water for a little while.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
said by aurgathor:

You may have gotten lucky with the weather.

That's one reason why planting it even now would be a good idea. Early spring is always wet, which means less watering for you, and we've got a long way before the sun becomes scorching.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness
It snowed 3 inches yesterday for whatever reason... uggh.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
We are going to get between 3-6 inches tomorrow thru Monday morning.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness
Can I buy a bag of the cheapest grass seed and then separately buy something like Miracle Grow or some type of cheap fertilizer?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to fartness
said by fartness:

Can I buy a bag of the cheapest grass seed and then separately buy something like Miracle Grow or some type of cheap fertilizer?

Yes, as long as they are the right types for your soil, climate, and lighting conditions.
--
Wacky Races 2012!