spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joel321

@sbcglobal.net

freedos on thumb drive auto software execution on start up

i just finished installing freedos on a thumb drive and would like for a particular program to auto start on freedos boot up...

....after installing freedos i made a file in the root of the drive named

config.sys

and in it wrote

SHELL=nameofprogram.EXE

but getting errors...any help would be much appreciated.

BTW, i know i can start the program by typing the .exe name in the prompt but i would rather it starts automatically.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

Use AUTOEXEC.BAT instead.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

joel321

@sbcglobal.net

hey ozo, i did this...

DEVICE=
SHELL=nameofprogram.EXE

and it is working now...would that cause any issues?

to be more specific, i am trying to use spinrite from gibson...i noticed he uses freedos to boot up his software but for some reason i tried 4 thumb drives on my computer...all of them did not want to work with his built in freedos...i downloaded rufus to install freedos the easy way and just created config.sys, to make spinrite.exe start automatically, with the parameters i wrote above...that won't cause any issues would it? thanks.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

If it works for you, good. Generally CONFIG.SYS is used to make configuration of the OS itself (devices, memory allocation, etc) and setting shell program (usually COMMAND.COM). I don't expect any issues, except you won't have common shell, by replacing it with your program. Hence was my suggestion above. DOS was a very simple OS...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to joel321

I wouldn't have thought 'DEVICE=' did anything useful. Normally it is 'DEVICE=some-file-to-load'.

Perhaps freedos requires at least one device line... even if it does nothing.

Still, I agree with OZO: the 'normal' start method for non-shell would have been AUTOEXEC.BAT.