how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

[poll] Which windows 8 start menu replacement do you use?

Poll
Which Start Menu replacement do you use in windows 8?

Bring Back

Classic Shell

Handy Start Menu

Pokki

Power8

RetroUI

Start is Back!

Start8

Start Menu 8

StartMenuPlus8

StartMenuX (StartMenu7)

StartW8

Vistart8

Win8 StartButton

Win8Starter

I'm happy with Win8 as-is and I need no stinking Start menu or button.

Votes:97

If I missed any let me know the name, and url for download.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

You should've added the option "I'm happy with Win8 as-is and I need no stinking Start menu or button"

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to dib22

If I used Windows 8, Which I don't and never will, I would use what I voted for, Classic Shell.

Looks like I will be switching to Linux on new computers that I build or newer notebooks I may buy in the future. Once I run out of Windows 7 Licenses.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to dib22

I'm torn between Classicshell and Start8.

Start8 is pretty much an exact replica of the Windows 7 start menu but Classicshell is free and has additional features I like.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to dib22

I am not using Win8 right now but thanks for the poll. I did not know there were so many.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by rfhar:

I am not using Win8 right now but thanks for the poll. I did not know there were so many.

No problem, someone mentioned it in one of the many win8 threads, and I was interested myself.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to rfhar

said by rfhar:

Same here - I knew there was 2 but not so many others.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to dib22

You left out "RetroUI",......I think,....

I voted for the last option and have about 4 Windows 8 Pro licenses,.....

Also being able to get around in Windows 8 natively without issue helped when my old HP MediaSmart EX490 Windows Home Server (v1 PP3) died. I was able to get the old server operational again after about a week by replacing the PSU (had to modify the pin-out on the replacment to HP proprietary). However, I had a replacement server up in a day or so running Server 2012 Essentials. Knowing the UI was one less thing to fumble with so I was able to hit the ground running,....

Although I did have to modify the Intel NIC driver for Server 2012 Essentials,.....given the hardware I was using,....

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to dib22

Wow! Almost 1/3 of the users are actually happy with the Win8 UI!

Wonder how many of those had extensive experience with other, touch screen oriented devices and OSs before Win8.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to dib22

Yes but how many of those users are DSLR geeks?

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to dib22

I never got around to trying one on my laptop (8 Preview) and haven't bothered to put one on my desktop (8 Pro). I just don't mind it.

I guess I could chalk it up to how much I hated Vista and how meh 7 was. I never got used to searching for my programs, I don't even do it very often on my Win7 work laptop. Hell you can still search 'n run in 8 anyway if you like that sort of thing.

Also I had almost everything I needed for daily use on my quicklaunch, had my start menu fairly customized with top-level folders containing frequently-used apps and quite often just browsed to other programs with Q-Dir, I got used to mouse-centric program launching...which Win8 does very well on its own.

When I was getting ready to put the Preview on my laptop I thought for sure I'd want to install ClassicShell. I even had it downloaded and ready to go, but ended up never using it.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

You left out "RetroUI",......I think,....

It's in there (checked it from a non logged in browser )

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

Wow! Almost 1/3 of the users are actually happy with the Win8 UI!

Wonder how many of those had extensive experience with other, touch screen oriented devices and OSs before Win8.

In my case I run iOS on an iPhone and iPad. For some time I've had an ASUS Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 PC tablet that came with Windows 7 Home Premium but I upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro. I've also had an HP Touchsmart PC for a while although I never really used its touch feature much and don't currently use the system at all.

Touch isn't really a big deal to me though.

My desktop systems use standard non-touch monitors. I have two 27" monitors at 2560x1440 on different systems (one uses a KVM). I also have one system that has a triple 27" monitor setup at 5760x1080. IMO the user experience of Windows 8 with or without touch is basically the same.

I wouldn't say I love the Windows 8 UI but it wasn't difficult to become accustomed to it. Since I use more then one OS (OS X, Android, WebOS,.....) I think that might make me a bit more flexible then some others,....

Windows was my first OS though and was the only OS for a very, very, very long time,....

I don't see Windows as some sacred cow though,....
Expand your moderator at work

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to Octavean

Re: [poll] Which windows 8 start menu replacement do you use?

I've used most everything under the Sun (both figuratively and literally ) and Windows came in kinda late since I never really started to use it until 1996. Had lots of experience with DOS, VMS, Unix and Solaris, although lately (last 10 years or so) it's mostly Windows or WinCE.

To stay on topic, while other utilities may be better, Classic Shell is hard to beat, especially on price.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

reply to dib22

You poll is missing one of the best ones! WINDOWS 7! Why bother changing?

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by Msradell:

You poll is missing one of the best ones! WINDOWS 7! Why bother changing?

To be fair, this is a poll for windows 8 users. You should start a "Which version of windows do you use?" poll perhaps

xpclient

join:2009-08-26
reply to Msradell

Classic Shell is the mother of all Start Menus. It runs on Windows 7 to fix that menu's deficiencies. Most customizable, most powerful.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
reply to dib22

Don't miss the start menu. Windows 8 is fine without it. Not a big deal.

Remus

@inet.fi
reply to dib22

I switched to Linux and I'm happy with it.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to dib22

Anyone find any new Start menu replacements to add to this poll?

I am wondering when I will have to add the microsoft start menu backslide to it

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

1 recommendation

said by dib22:

Anyone find any new Start menu replacements to add to this poll?

I am wondering when I will have to add the microsoft start menu backslide to it

I have one that meets ALL my needs...

Windows XP Professional.
Expand your moderator at work

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Bink63

Re: [poll] Which windows 8 start menu replacement do you use?

Classic Shell closed beta is looking for participants
--
Gladiator Security Forum