Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

[PvP] Changes to PvP on 5.3 PTR

Patch 5.3 PTR Notes Preview

PvP
A blog with additional information and explanation for the reasoning behind PvP changes will be available very soon.
All characters now have a base Resilience of 65%.
Resilience has been removed from most PvP gear.
Season 13 Tyrannical gear had their item levels increased to ilevel 496, up from ilevel 493.
Season 13 Tyrannical Elite gear had their item levels decreased to ilevel 496, down from ilevel 512.
Battlegrounds, Rated Battlegrounds, and Arenas now have an ilevel cap. All gear will be scaled down to ilevel 496.

Battlegrounds
More information coming soon.

»www.mmo-champion.com/content/

/discuss
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
No new 5 man dungeons really blows. So tired of the these current 5 mans.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
Although they're adding Heroic difficulty to scenarios, and those have a chance to drop raid finder quality items. I do hope it's not random suffix loot, but it probably is. Oh well, still one more thing to help people get geared up.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Vincerus

@dfas.mil
reply to Jobbie
I love these changes. Will shorten the gap between PVE and PVP without allowing PVE gear to dominate which I think is a good thing. While I dont think heroic PVE gear should dominate, I do think heroic geared people should atleast have a fighting chance against a fully gear PVP toon which this will allow. Obviously the fully PVP geared person will still win bc they are doing atleast 50% more damage than someone with no PVP power. Very good change IMO. Alot of my friends who pretty much just raid like to go into BGs or w/e for fun occasionally only to get destroyed bc they have no resil. This will encourage more PVP from lesser geared people. I like it.

Bodybagger
Premium
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 edit
reply to Jobbie
Gear only does so much. The silences and CCs are what needs work. Put some shit on the same DRs. There should be no instance of anyone not being able to do shit for ~20 seconds due to CCs.

Sorry... still pissed from arenas last night.

And another thing. That's pretty lame for people that busted their asses to get the elite gear that may have higher ilevel and now it will be no different from others while doing arenas. bgs and rbgs.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Bodybagger:

And another thing. That's pretty lame for people that busted their asses to get the elite gear that may have higher ilevel and now it will be no different from others while doing arenas. bgs and rbgs.

yeah, that's part of the race in Arenas and in Dragon slaying. Generally, though... those who worked hard to get the previous gear, have become far better players over time than those just stepping in to get their new "entry level" gear.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state

1 edit
reply to Vincerus
said by Vincerus :

I love these changes. Will shorten the gap between PVE and PVP without allowing PVE gear to dominate which I think is a good thing.

I'm on the complete other end of the spectrum. I strongly dislike the fact of having pvp and pve gear so mis-mashed together. The way it is now, easily obtainable pvp gear is significantly better gear than hard to obtain pve gear. As people are coming up the ranks to become raid ready, the best path for them is to get pvp gear (dafuq).

I wish Blizz would keep these two things completely separate. If you want to PvP, cool, go get PvP gear. And get slaughtered by any PvE mob in it. If you want to PvE, cool, go get the PvE gear. And get slaughtered by any PvP'er in a BG.

I understand what people are saying about it is nice to have (for example) a raider be able to quickly come over for a BG once in awhile and still be competitive without having to worry about getting slaughtered. For me though the answer is to start queuing BG groups based on ilvl (and not allow equip switches once in) rather than toon lvl. Make it so you have to have PvP gear on to queue and that you can buy the entry level equip sets with gold, not honor points. Upgrades with honor/conquest points from there. That would keep everything fairly competitive and come down to bring the player not the gear.

*Edit: Queue by ilvl in addition to toon level. Probably wouldn't be too fair to have a lvl 90 put on 100 ilvl equip and queue with the level 15 toons :P

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Sadly WoW has always been a gear driven game, the carrot on the stick is always a better piece of loot to make you perform better on your current setting and role, I will wait and see exactly how this changes work and will download the PTR asap to see what is the tradoff. So far not happy with these changes.
--

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Jobbie
Too early to take 5.3 PTR notes seriously.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
It is the latest information and we can´t ignore it, if things change on the PTR over time we can discuss it as well.
--

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
Besides, timing of information has no relevance. The fact is, it is now on the internet. Ergo, it is true.

o2cool8

join:2002-04-19
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

said by Bodybagger:

yeah, that's part of the race in Arenas and in Dragon slaying. Generally, though... those who worked hard to get the previous gear, have become far better players over time than those just stepping in to get their new "entry level" gear.

Actually, I believe no one can get elite pvp gear yet, so no one should have ilvl512 pvp.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I think it will all come on how they balance PvP power, people in PvP gear will still do a ton more damage to players than people in PvE gear, this will only let the new pvp players get 3 shotted instead of 2.
--

Vincerus

@dfas.mil
reply to Jobbie
This is def a step in the right direction to a more balanced pvp system. With the implementation of PVP power along with resil the disperiaty between a fully geared pvper and fresh lvl 90 is too huge. A fresh lvl 90 should lose dont get me wrong. But they should not literally be getting one shot along with hitting like a wet noodle. Now they will get 2 shot along with hitting like a wet noodle which is a little better. As an avid lover of pvp, any steps to ecourage more people to try PVP is a good thing. Like I said before, this is an awesome change . And gear still will play a huge part. Someone with 50-60% pvp power will crush any person in BIS heroic raiding gear as long as they are not terrible. At the same time a skilled raider in BIS heroic gear will now have a chance to beat a scrub 1500 pvp geared player with these changes.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I agree with you my friend, but I am worried for tanks and healers getting an edge.

Scenarios:

PvE geared tank gemming resilience.
PvE geared healer gemming PVP Power.
--

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to Jobbie
Healers will get screwed with no res. They gem and chant full res because living is more important then anything else. With these changes the best a healer can do is gem pvp power which is worth 50% to them compared to everyone else. I'd quit pvp healing if my best option was a gimped stat. We'll have to wait and see how it works but it sounds terrible as my first impression.
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
It is way too early on the road butI would guess people will start mixing pvp and pve gear to obtain the max level.
--

North Reading, MA
reply to Jobbie
Early April Fool's joke by Blizzard maybe?

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
said by 35245635:

Early April Fool's joke by Blizzard maybe?

If so, 2/10.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Bodybagger
said by Bodybagger:

Gear only does so much. The silences and CCs are what needs work. Put some shit on the same DRs. There should be no instance of anyone not being able to do shit for ~20 seconds due to CCs.

Sorry... still pissed from arenas last night.

Agree with the CC's. It's a tad much.

Hordeforlife

join:2009-05-13
Harrisonville, MO
reply to Jobbie
I have been calling for resilience removal for well over a year on both my podcast and blog, so great to finally see us moving that way.
--
Horde for Life Podcast (hordeforlife.com and egonetworks.com)

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
reply to Jobbie
I know elitist would throw stones at me for saying this. But I think it's nice to see a fresh, max level character get a "fighting" chance.

With that said, it will probably still be a steamrolling roflrape.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Phantasee:

With that said, it will probably still be a steamrolling roflrape.

--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH... HAHAHAHHAAHAHAH

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
reply to Jobbie
I'd like to hear them elaborate on "most". Base line 65% on characters should result in a full removal.

North Reading, MA
said by Phantasee:

I'd like to hear them elaborate on "most". Base line 65% on characters should result in a full removal.

Elite gear should have resilience. People need a light at the end of the tunnel. If people invest 10-12 weeks to get there they should get some type of advantage.
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to JB
said by JB:

said by Jobbie:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH... HAHAHAHHAAHAHAH

Gogo PvE geared, PvP Power gemmed/enchanted/reforged toons.
--
Mcbrain#1558

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?...Morons.

North Reading, MA
reply to Jobbie
What's stopping people now from using pvp gear in pve stuff right now? You can easily get to 480 for LFR's.
--

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to McBrain
It doesnt matter what they do to PvP gear, as long as it is easy to get then people will continue to gear that way to get into LFR/reach iLevel. If they want that to change make the iLevel drop to zero on PvP gear when you try to queue for LFR.

North Reading, MA
said by Skittles:

It doesnt matter what they do to PvP gear, as long as it is easy to get then people will continue to gear that way to get into LFR/reach iLevel. If they want that to change make the iLevel drop to zero on PvP gear when you try to queue for LFR.

Then people would get random pve gear to get the ilvl then switch to pvp gear as soon as they got into the raid.
--